cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When did the JCP card REQUIRE a mortgage to be approved?

tag
tboy1977
Regular Contributor

When did the JCP card REQUIRE a mortgage to be approved?

So, I applied for the JCP card, was denied, told balances are high on other cards, called back because my TU and EX were not showing that.  Was told to dispute with the bureau.  Explaining that the letter was incongruent went nowhere.  After a Twitter rant, a Synchrony representative called me to tell me that the reason I was denied credit was a lack of mortgage, too many inquires, and something else.  When did a MORTGAGE become a REQUIREMENT for this card.  I have a VISA card with a $4k limit, and cannot get $200?

Starting scores: EQ 420, EX 421, TU 405 (Jan 2011)
Bk Ch 7 Discharged Mar 2011
Current scores: Julty 2019: TU - 655, EX - 619, EQ - 640
FICO Dream Scores: EQ 700+, EX 700+, TU 700+

Credit accounts: 22% APR auto loan (Mar 2017), Secured [Coke (4000), Discover (1000)], Unsecured [CreditOne $1500, Walmart $150, Target $200], World Finance: $1500, Courtesy Finance: $700, Speedy Finance: $1200 (charged-off)
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When did the JCP card REQUIRE a mortgage to be approved?

Those are the FICO reason codes for your score being low, not Synchrony’s actual reasons for denial. 

Lack of an active installment loan is a pretty big negative for FICO scoring since having one demonstrates the ability to consistently make payments on an account, hence the negative reason code. 

Sync sent me a denial for a CLI on my PayPal card earlier this month and their reasons were literally a cut and paste of the reason codes from FICO so maybe that’s going to be Sync’s “reason” now. 

Message 2 of 14
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@tboy1977 wrote:

So, I applied for the JCP card, was denied, told balances are high on other cards, called back because my TU and EX were not showing that.  Was told to dispute with the bureau.  Explaining that the letter was incongruent went nowhere.  After a Twitter rant, a Synchrony representative called me to tell me that the reason I was denied credit was a lack of mortgage, too many inquires, and something else.  When did a MORTGAGE become a REQUIREMENT for this card.  I have a VISA card with a $4k limit, and cannot get $200?

You "ranted" on Twitter because of credit card denial? 

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

@tboy1977 wrote:

You "ranted" on Twitter because of credit card denial? 

Sounds more like the lack of a concrete reason from Sync to me although looking at OP’s scores, I would have just moved on. 

Message 4 of 14
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

JCP as others have stated (synch ) does not "require a mortgage" it is just one of the reasons given for your FICO scores.

Unless you shop exclusively at JCP, the card itself is really not great. I would just move on. 

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 5 of 14
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

While Synch is a bizarre lender to begin with, you might take some time in the garden with the cards you have and work on getting any negatives on your reports dealt with. Your signature line shows you have an auto loan which would take care of the "credit mix" issue. There's gotta be other things holding your score down.

A BK still showing with a charge off afterwards is going to scare most lenders away.

BTW, what card is Coke $4000? This is a Visa card?

Message 6 of 14
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

When did you actually begin rebuilding?

looks like you’ve made some progress, but might need some coaching to help you through it.

pulling for you!

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 7 of 14
Hex
Valued Contributor

Coca-Cola has an employee credit union AND I WANT IN BECAUSE I WANT THAT CARD!!!!!!!! I don’t even know or care what the rewards are I just want it...
Anyway I looked it up awhile back and I can’t see any way in for me.
Smiley Sad
Message 8 of 14
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Credit cards do not require a mortgage.

Perhaps it helps their internal scoring system (relates to stability.)

Def not required.

Usually the reasons given say “adversely affect your credit” not requirements for approval.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 9 of 14
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

OP, don't sweat it. JCP is on life support and the plug is barely dangling from the wall.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.