cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to Start Applying for New Balance Transfer Offers (Current ones expiring in 3-4 month)?

tag
leo222
Contributor

When to Start Applying for New Balance Transfer Offers (Current ones expiring in 3-4 month)?

Hi all,

I currently have two balance transfers cards that are expiring in about 3-4 months - I was lucky enough to get the Chase Slate and AMEX EveryDay before Covid started, so I was able to get 0% and 0 BT fee (which I don't think exist right now).

Anyway, by the time these expire (Slate on 04/02/2021, AMEX on 03/11/2021), I will owe roughly $4,000 on each card. Both have an APR of ~21% after intro rate, so I obviously don't want to pay that. So, I want to know the best time to apply for BT offers, as I'd definitely like to "max out" the benefits on my current cards. I am currently looking at USB Visa Platinum and Citi Diamond Preferred. 

My TU FICO (as per Discover Card) is currently 745, overall UTIL at intro APR expir. will be 18-19%. I only applied for these two cards (Slate and EveryDay) about a year ago, and have not applied nor asked for CL increase since then, and hadn't applied for any new cards for years prior to that.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Racer202
Established Member

Re: When to Start Applying for New Balance Transfer Offers (Current ones expiring in 3-4 month)?

Do you have any other cards? They may have promotional balance transfers? I recently used PenFed and BB&T.

if you're looking to apply then think Discover, Citi and Wells Fargo.

good luck!

Message 2 of 3
leo222
Contributor

Re: When to Start Applying for New Balance Transfer Offers (Current ones expiring in 3-4 month)?

I have a few other long standing cards. My Discover card has a BT offer for me (that I didn't apply for, but that they are offering)...It's pretty pathetic though (9 months, 4% BT fee). I know most decent BT offers are 18-20 months (3% BT fee).

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.