Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to app for AMEX (again)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When to app for AMEX (again)

In a few years I plan on applying for an AMEX, but had questions.

I had a ch7 bk filed in October 2014 and my AMEX Delta Gold card was included in that BK for $5k. This AMEX account has been removed from my credit reports. I have about 6 inquiries over the last two years with the most recent being May 2020. 

Am I on their blacklist until the BK falls off in Oct 2024, and/or if I decide to pay them back, or forever no matter what? I know they cannot LEGALLY ask me to pay the $5,000 back, but I wonder if they can still deny my apps bc of the charge off and Bk? I called them a few months ago and they SAID I don’t have to ever pay the $5,000 back, which I know is true, but if they are going to secretly hold it against me, I want to know!!!!!!

I have other debt too (CCs, student loans), but I plan on paying those down FIRST before even applying for the Green/Gold/Platinum charge or (Delta) cards.

I am about to apply for the NF Flagship (assuming the SUB comes back on Sept 1), but after that, I will not apply for ANY until AT LEAST 2023 when I am better prepared and more attractive to AMEX.

I just want to know what I need to do to (over the next few years) in order to maximize my approval chances with AMEX. Do I just need to wait for the BK to fall off? Or do I need to voluntarily pay them the $5k back as well??? Once I have this AMEX, I will be gardening for the rest of my life lol

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When to app for AMEX (again)

Pretty sure Amex will want their 5k back

You can try applying now since your far enough past your BK. If blacklisted or otherwise ineligible it won't be a HP, just flat denied

Plenty of other lenders you can apply with, though, NFCU is a good 3 cards to have at least

Message 2 of 20
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Yup, legally they cannot ask for that $5k back, but off the record, yes, they will want to be made whole again before even entertaining the idea of letting you back in. If they aren't paid back, I believe I've seen it could take upwards of 10+ years to be let back in, if ever. As mentioned above though, quick way to know is if you apply and they don't even do an HP, it will auto-deny and you'll know you're blacklisted. Whereas if you apply and get HP'd, you'll know at least you're off the naughty list.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 20
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Yes Amex does blacklist most people can get back in with them eventually but it usually takes close to 10 years or so .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi... I have two cards with NFCU (CashRewards and Platinum). I hope to make the Flagship the 3rd card, next month and the garden for a few years until I am ready for AMEX.

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, so paying them back will put the possibility of opening an account with them back on the table (although it may not even be a guarantee). I was under the impression they would auto deny people for simply having a BK that may or may not have included AMEX accounts.

So you are saying I should be OK to apply again once I pay them back, BK or not, right?. Got it. I will also want some of these inquiries to fall off too :/ I am not too sure how picky AMEX is about credit profiles. 

Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is the 10 years for people who pay them back OR just for people who still owe them money? When would the 10 years “start”? When the account became delinquent? Closed? Charged off? Discharged in BK?

Thank you for your help!

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Is the 10 years for people who pay them back OR just for people who still owe them money? When would the 10 years “start”? When the account became delinquent? Closed? Charged off? Discharged in BK?

Thank you for your help!

YMMV

If you make them whole on the money it is much easier to get back in

Or call them and ask if you are eligible for Optima or reinstatement if you make them whole? Is it worth paying 5K for an issuer, though?

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the prompt response! What is Optima and why would I specifically ask them about it for my situation?

NFCU and AMEX are the only companies I would WANT to pay back. I don’t owe NFCU anything (other than my accounts in good standings, I have just enjoyed my time with them so far. Since they have been good to me, I would have no problem saying SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY! LOL

AMEX is the last CC I want and I am willing to pay them in order to have an account with them again (in a few years).

Message 9 of 20
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

If you pay them back in full you should get in earlier.

Honestly I don't understand the "greatness " people seem to see with them .There are literally tons of lenders beside Amex . You legally had your debt discharged , Amex to me is not all that? Paying back a discharged debt just to get in with a bank when you eventually will get back in just doesn't seem worth it to me . If I had an extra 5K I would put in savings.

Now navy well if you default on them you never get back in unless paid, so I can see that but Amex nah.

JMHO

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.