Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to apply for a CLI?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When to apply for a CLI?

Hi All,

I recently started frequenting this forum and I really enjoy reading about the success stories. That said, I’m very green when it comes to how CC approvals and CLI’s work. I was recently approved for quite a few cards and I’m looking for guidance on when the optimal time is to request for CLI’s. Below are the cards I’ve opened in the past 45 days.

Citi Prestige - $26,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred - $19,400
Capital One Venture - $15,000
USAA AMEX - $15,000
Discover It Cash Back - $3,000

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: When to apply for a CLI?

Congrats on your new cards / approvals -- very nice line-up and SLs! 

@Anonymous wrote:

Citi Prestige - $26,000:  wait / look for soft pull CLI language when you click on the 'Request Credit Limit Increase' link.  If the "Provide Information" box has a statement saying "It's easy to find out if you qualify for a credit limit increase. A credit bureau report will not be requested and you will receive an instant decision." -- then you qualify for a soft pull CLI.  Otherwise, it will be a hard pull with no guarentee of approval.    You can get a soft pull CLI as soon as 60 days from approval -- if the SP language appears for you.   After the first CLI is granted, you have to wait 6 months between requests. 

Chase Sapphire Preferred - $19,400:   I don't know much about Chase; I don't have a card with them.  But I believe all of their CLI requests require a hard pull.   Someone else can chime in with how often / soon you can request.

Capital One Venture - $15,000:  I don't have Cap One either, so no clue.
USAA AMEX - $15,000:   This will be a hard pull and you have to wait til your 6th month to request.   They also do auto CLIs and review accounts for this twice per year..   USAA is typically very generous with CLIs -- making the HP worth it. 

Discover It Cash Back - $3,000:  Always a softpull.  Wait tll your 3rd statement cuts then request away.  You can literally request weekly if you want, they don't care and there is no timeline, no rhyme nor reason for approval / denial.  You can also "Double Dip" -- if you are granted a CLI, and think you want more, you can call customer service and ask for more.  Disco also does auto CLIs -- though I'm not sure how common they are. 

Enjoy & Welcome to the forums!! 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 12
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi All,

I recently started frequenting this forum and I really enjoy reading about the success stories. That said, I’m very green when it comes to how CC approvals and CLI’s work. I was recently approved for quite a few cards and I’m looking for guidance on when the optimal time is to request for CLI’s. Below are the cards I’ve opened in the past 45 days.

Citi Prestige - $26,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred - $19,400
Capital One Venture - $15,000
USAA AMEX - $15,000
Discover It Cash Back - $3,000

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

Wow! Very impressive approvals and SLs.  Congratulations. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 3 of 12
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@thornback wrote:

Congrats on your new cards / approvals -- very nice line-up and SLs! 

@Anonymous wrote:

Citi Prestige - $26,000:  wait / look for soft pull CLI language when you click on the 'Request Credit Limit Increase' link.  If the "Provide Information" box has a statement saying "It's easy to find out if you qualify for a credit limit increase. A credit bureau report will not be requested and you will receive an instant decision." -- then you qualify for a soft pull CLI.  Otherwise, it will be a hard pull with no guarentee of approval.    You can get a soft pull CLI as soon as 60 days from approval -- if the SP language appears for you.   After the first CLI is granted, you have to wait 6 months between requests. 

Chase Sapphire Preferred - $19,400:   I don't know much about Chase; I don't have a card with them.  But I believe all of their CLI requests require a hard pull.   Someone else can chime in with how often / soon you can request.

Capital One Venture - $15,000:  I don't have Cap One either, so no clue.
USAA AMEX - $15,000:   This will be a hard pull and you have to wait til your 6th month to request.   They also do auto CLIs and review accounts for this twice per year..   USAA is typically very generous with CLIs -- making the HP worth it. 

Discover It Cash Back - $3,000:  Always a softpull.  Wait tll your 3rd statement cuts then request away.  You can literally request weekly if you want, they don't care and there is no timeline, no rhyme nor reason for approval / denial.  You can also "Double Dip" -- if you are granted a CLI, and think you want more, you can call customer service and ask for more.  Disco also does auto CLIs -- though I'm not sure how common they are. 

Enjoy & Welcome to the forums!! 

OP, When I had Chase FU and Slate a year ago, one had to call in to request a CLI and it was always a HP or 2. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Great pickupsSmiley Happy

Citi- every 6 months possible sp if language shows up, otherwise hp

Chase- usually your sl is your limit but cli will be hp unless given rare auto. Limits can be moved from other Chase cards

Cap One- sp every 6 months eligble

Amex - can request at day 61 and up to 3x your limit. Once approved , every 6 months, one increase over all accounts permitted

Discover, sp unless they need a hp but will inform first, no rhyme or reason to who gets what. Magic 8 ball timeSmiley Happy
Message 5 of 12
thornback
Senior Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

Amex - can request at day 61 and up to 3x your limit. Once approved , every 6 months, one increase over all accounts permitted

Just want to point out, AJ -- OP apparently has USAA Amex,  not Amex Amex... so the 61-day & 3x does not apply.  Smiley Wink 

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 6 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Oopsie, thanks @thornbackSmiley Happy Well in case he gets it lol.

Great posting style my friendSmiley Happy

I wish i could get a USAA cc, im a member, i think lol, but i guess its my geogrsphic region that prevents me lolSmiley Happy
Message 7 of 12
thornback
Senior Contributor

Oopsie, thanks @thornbackSmiley Happy Well in case he gets it lol.  NP Smiley Wink 

Great posting style my friendSmiley Happy  Thx!

I wish i could get a USAA cc, im a member, i think lol, but i guess its my geogrsphic region that prevents me lolSmiley Happy

Really?  I'd think location, if anything, would only maybe affect checking / savings...   why should that affect CC for a large entity like USAA?   Did you talk to someone to confirm this?

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 8 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Ive tried calling but they didnt seem to really know. I know some are partial members not sure i fall in that cat but i do have a member number and password for the site. Anytime i go to check their credit cards, i get the screen that they arent available to me or perhaps my membership doesnt qualify me. Maybe i should call again to see.
Message 9 of 12
thornback
Senior Contributor

Oh.  If it were me, I'd call again and maybe try to speak to someone in a supervisory position - at least to find out the reason -where it's geographic or limited membership ...   if you do decide to call, i'd love to hear what they say..  

Ive tried calling but they didnt seem to really know. I know some are partial members not sure i fall in that cat but i do have a member number and password for the site. Anytime i go to check their credit cards, i get the screen that they arent available to me or perhaps my membership doesnt qualify me. Maybe i should call again to see.

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.