Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which CC should I go for?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which CC should I go for?

Hello all,

I recently brought up my credit scores around 100 points within the last few months and I'm looking to ditch my secured cards and go for a more reputable card. My scores for the FICO 8 model are:

Equifax - 647

Transunion - 673

Experian - 659

My credit card scores are a little better but I'm not sure what or if CC companies actually use them? They're an average of about 20 points higher than what the FICO8 scores are. 

I currently have a $200 secured card with First Progress who charges a $99 annual fee. I also have a $300 card with Credit One who also charges a substantial annual fee. I'm now an AU of a Capital One Savor card with a $2000 limit.  If I'm going to keep paying an annual fee I'd rather get some type of rewards, such as cash back like the Savor card. 

I'm currently undecided on what I could get, though. I'd love to get either a Chase or AMEX card but I'm not sure I'd be likely to be approved with my low scores. Any help or advice is much appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which CC should I go for?

@Anonymous wrote:

My scores for the FICO 8 model are:

Equifax - 647

Transunion - 673

Experian - 659

If I'm going to keep paying an annual fee I'd rather get some type of rewards, such as cash back like the Savor card. not going to happen right now

I'm currently undecided on what I could get, though. I'd love to get either a Chase or AMEX card but I'm not sure I'd be likely to be approved with my low scores. Any help or advice is much appreciated! Amex migth be possible but, Chase would probably want to see more history before approving 

For TU I would say Uber Visa - https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/Landing.action?campaignId=2398&cellNumber=6&referrerid=

For EQ I would say give BB&T a shot - https://www.bbt.com/offers/checkOffers

For EX I would say potentially BBVA if you're in their service area or a borderline chance with Amex

Othwewise try the pre-qual pages and see what pops up.  Another good alternative would be Discover possibly.

Message 2 of 5
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all,

I recently brought up my credit scores around 100 points within the last few months and I'm looking to ditch my secured cards and go for a more reputable card. My scores for the FICO 8 model are:

Equifax - 647

Transunion - 673

Experian - 659

My credit card scores are a little better but I'm not sure what or if CC companies actually use them? They're an average of about 20 points higher than what the FICO8 scores are. 

I currently have a $200 secured card with First Progress who charges a $99 annual fee. I also have a $300 card with Credit One who also charges a substantial annual fee. I'm now an AU of a Capital One Savor card with a $2000 limit.  If I'm going to keep paying an annual fee I'd rather get some type of rewards, such as cash back like the Savor card. 

I'm currently undecided on what I could get, though. I'd love to get either a Chase or AMEX card but I'm not sure I'd be likely to be approved with my low scores. Any help or advice is much appreciated!

If you are interested in Cap One cards, they have prequal page. https://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/prequalify

As far as Chase, Amex and other lenders, it would depend on what's keeping your scores on low(ish) end. 

If you have any derogs, might be worth working on those before you start applying. 

Message 3 of 5
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Check prequal sites for Discover, Amex, and Cap One. Prequals tend to be solid and these lenders are good for new/rebuilding credit.

Chase may be a tiny bit out of reach at the moment, but stranger things have happened.

Congrats on upping your scores! Huge progress there!
Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did the prequalification on their sites and I didn't get any. My girlfriend, who has better credit, did the prequalification for AMEX and it showed she could get two of their options so she applied..and then was denied. She then went for a Discover card and got one with a $1500 CL. 

I figure if it could work that way for her, it could possibly work the exact opposite for me - hopefully, haha. 

I originally wanted a Care Credit card but I read some pretty nasty reviews about them and then an article that discussed why the cards designed for medical expenses aren't really that great of an option. 

Also, I've paid off everything on my credit except for 4 medical collections accounts which are due to fall off my report next summer. I'm just anxiously awaiting those and then I'll have a completely clean history. One of the things I paid off was an old CapOne card from 6 years ago (it was also due to fall off next year) so I'm not sure if I can get anywhere with them other than being an AU. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.