cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Citi credit cards can I apply considering my credit history (701, less than 2 months old)?

Highlighted

Which Citi credit cards can I apply considering my credit history (701, less than 2 months old)?

Hi myFico community,

New user here. Very glad that I found this forum! I have a pretty young credit history (< 2 months old) & a 701 credit score (reported by Discover). I only have a DiscoverIT card which I applied in Sep 2018.

I was wondering if there is any Citi card that I can get for now. If not, how long should I wait and what should I do during the waiting time to increase my chance of getting the said cards

Thank you!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Re: Which Citi credit cards can I apply considering my credit history (701, less than 2 months old)?

Hi and welcome to the forums!

It's likely that you could qualify for a secured Citi CC if that's an option you're willing to consider.

As far as an unsecured Citi CC, given what you have shared above, IMO wait for at least 9-12 months of having an established credit profile. Otherwise, if you choose to pull the trigger now, it will be declined.
Message 2 of 8
Highlighted

Re: Which Citi credit cards can I apply considering my credit history (701, less than 2 months old)?

@FinStar: thank you! I'll wait then

After that which of these two cards would be easier to get: Citi Simplicity or Double Cash ?

Message 3 of 8
Highlighted
Valued Member

What exactly are you looking for in a card ? I wouldn't recommend applying for one because it's easier, you wanna get something that fits your spend that's actually useful to you.
Message 4 of 8
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

You can get a secured citi card and if you use it regularly and pay in full, they will hopefully graduate you in 8-10 months like mine. Even though they quote 18 months for graduation.

BofA Cash Rew: 16k+
Citi Premier: 7k+
Citi DC: 7k+
Chase Amazon: 4k+
Cap1 QS1: 2k+
Barclays Uber: 8k+

Next App in: Late Oct 2019

Torch bearer of the Bucketeers' Society. Shamefully carrying a bucketed Cap One QS1 with AF & zero chance of a PC.

Message 5 of 8
Highlighted
Contributor

OP - Welcome to the forums ! 

Use the one Discover Card you have now - use it as much as you can and pay in full every month. You need a minimum of 1 year good credit history before you can start seriouly be considered for the next level of cards. Right now you are in the secured/student/starter cards category and will stay there until your accounts are atleast 6 months and 12 months is way better. 

As to your question - I think Simplicity is the easier the the DC card - the DC costs Citibank more money in rewards - so with a lower margin - all banks get more selective to aviod bad debt. 

Message 6 of 8
Highlighted

Thank you! I like Citi cards because they offer price protection which is very useful for Black Friday or XMas shopping. The Simplicity card has 0% APR for 18 months which I like while the Double Cash card has good cash back %

Message 7 of 8
Highlighted

Makes sense. Thank you!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.