cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worst Experience w/ Alliant (Discrimation)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Worst Experience w/ Alliant (Discrimation)

I have to vent and sahre my experience with the said CU. I applied for membership because I have heard so many good things about it from here. I was approved and I initially made a deposit to the checking. 

Next day, I was checking if my deposit has cleared and I couldn't access my account. I was then told that my account has been restricted , I needed to submit 2 forms of ID to verify address, e.g. mortage insurance or uitlity bills. I told the lady that I dont have a mortgage and our utility bills are all under my husband's name. The only thing I have will be my bank and credit card statements. She said that will NOT work. Anyhow .....

I got home from work at 5:15PM EST and sent in My Driver's license and social security card,, I submitted a bank statement to Penfed NOTARIZED so I included it as well, I also included my U.S. Passport. Few minutes after I submitted I received another email indicating, they wont take my bank statement doesnt matter even if it's notarized, she wants me to send a mortgage insurance, lease agreement or vehicle insurance and indicated that EVERYONE should have Mortage or Lease agreement to verify their address....... At this time, I was really starting to get upset, I told her that I do not have a mortgage... first of all I know that in this country I doubt if majority of the people has mortgage under their names or lease agreement.? How would they determine this for people that paid off their house? or like me I had such a horrible credit to start that I couldn't get my name on the deed or we would never been approved for the house. As for the car, there's notihng on Car insurance that will show my address??? and what if I don't have a car? How can 3 government IDs not suffice their request? 

Long story short, she said since I cant provide my address she will close my account. .....

WoW, anyway so disappointed, I sent an email to their executive offices. 

Sorry for the Rant!

Message 1 of 47
46 REPLIES 46
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Worst Experience w/ Alliant (Discrimation)

WOW I am really sorry to hear that! I had to send in drivers license, SS# and utility bill. They have to be able to verify identity and address. You would think notarized bank statements and passport was enough since you have no mortgage or utilities in your name. However, you shouldn't have been treated like that. Hope you can get it resolved.
Message 2 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which lender are you referring to? You mention both Alliant and PenFed in your post and it is confusing.
Message 3 of 47
mattmyFIC0
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Which lender are you referring to? You mention both Alliant and PenFed in your post and it is confusing.

Pretty sure OP meant that they had previously submitted that doc to penfed and reused it for alliant.

Scores 01/04/2017: EQ 719, TU 750, EX 716
Goal scores: 740 across the board
Message 4 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry this happened OP, it is difficult to tell everything from your post because there is a lot going on in the post.

Credit Unions each have a specific set of documents they are willing to accept to prove identity and residence.

You mention auto insurance, but then state it does not list your residence address, which it normally does. Can you clarify?
Message 5 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Sorry this happened OP, it is difficult to tell everything from your post because there is a lot going on in the post.

Credit Unions each have a specific set of documents they are willing to accept to prove identity and residence.

You mention auto insurance, but then state it does not list your residence address, which it normally does. Can you clarify?

Sorry no worries, my iauto nsurance card doesn't show my home address it just shows my name, auto VIN policy number and dates. Thats all the insurance card I have the bill goes to my husband's name so I asked if I could send that and was told it has to be under my name.... 

Message 6 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

mci, do you have a voter registration card that you could submit?

Be sure to check with Alliant to confirm, but a number of credit unions will accept the voter registration card as proof of address.
Message 7 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

So sorry to hear this happened to you. Is there a way you can get more credit in your own name so you can avoid this in the future? Just a thought.

Message 8 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So sorry to hear this happened to you. Is there a way you can get more credit in your own name so you can avoid this in the future? Just a thought.

Thank you I do have plenty of credits now under my name. But they wont accept any of those bills , they specifically want Mortgage Papers or Vehicle papers. I dont know why and what gives but I hope I get some clarity from their management. 

Message 9 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mco, is it possible for your husband to add your name to the utility bills, now that they are already established?
Message 10 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.