Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

advice on what to apply for next...

tag
usaallegiancestore
Established Member

advice on what to apply for next...

So I am an authorized user on 3 accounts

and have one card under my personal name which is a capital one platinum with sl 2,000 that i got approved for in january

the average age of accounts is 11y 7 months..

my fico 8 for experian is 774, transunion is 756, and equifax is 759

i was wondering what you guys think my next move should be was thinking about going for discover but not sure if i will be approved...

i did the prequal and was prequaled for the secured but i would prefer to not get a secured card..

any advice would help...i know i have a somewhat thin file.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: advice on what to apply for next...

@usaallegiancestore wrote:

So I am an authorized user on 3 accounts

and have one card under my personal name which is a capital one platinum with sl 2,000 that i got approved for in january

the average age of accounts is 11y 7 months..

my fico 8 for experian is 774, transunion is 756, and equifax is 759

i was wondering what you guys think my next move should be was thinking about going for discover but not sure if i will be approved...

i did the prequal and was prequaled for the secured but i would prefer to not get a secured card..

any advice would help...i know i have a somewhat thin file.

Hi and welcome! 

Disco "loves" thin files so there has to be a reason why you were offered secured card only. 

Any recent negatives on your CR? 

If you have no negatives and no closed accounts, your AAoA is artificially inflated by presence of AU accounts. Disco  may want to see more history before they approve you for your own card.

Your only card is only 4 months old, so you may need to give it some time if discover is what you need, or conversely, try a different lender. 

In order for others to be able to recommend another lender, they would need to know about your spending habits. 

Message 2 of 13
usaallegiancestore
Established Member

I  have a clean file just the 3 au accounts and the capital one under my personal name...

amex prequalified me for the blue cash everday gold and another bluecash one...

I wonder if they would approve me..

I want a card for like food groceries, everyday living that will have good rewards

Message 3 of 13
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

I  have a clean file just the 3 au accounts and the capital one under my personal name...

I want a card for like food groceries, everyday living that will have good rewards

Heck yes. Go for that Amex if the rewards make sense for you. I’d be surprised if you didn’t get it. Also, I second the Discover card. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 4 of 13
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@pinkandgrey  OP already stated they dont want secured card, which is what disco is offering them. First post. 

Message 5 of 13
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@pinkandgrey  OP already stated they dont want secured card, which is what disco is offering them. First post. 

Ah, thanks, Remmy. Sorry, OP! I didn’t see that. I tend to read the original post and then skip down to the bottom lol. Shame on me. I still would support the Amex though! 

Message 6 of 13
usaallegiancestore
Established Member

OK sounds good...the cap 1 card in my name has like 50% utilization would that prevent me from being approved even if my overall usage is at 12 percent because of the authorized users..?

Message 7 of 13
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

OK sounds good...the cap 1 card in my name has like 50% utilization would that prevent me from being approved even if my overall usage is at 12 percent because of the authorized users..?

I doubt it. Besides, Amex prequals are usually quite solid. Good luck!

Message 8 of 13
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

I'm surprised Discover only prequalified you for a secured card. Maybe they want to see a little more history on your own. If you are getting prequalified for AMEX, I would definitely look into that. Compare the cards and see which might benefit you the most. There's a lot of potential for growth with them (I'm considering them for my next card). The selection is a bit low for new, thin files so looking into any prequalified offers is a good idea.

Message 9 of 13
usaallegiancestore
Established Member

applied and was denied = ( 

had them put in for a manuel review but who knows what that will do..

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.