cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Your application has been submitted and is pending approval", aka...DECLINED.

tag
TaperRandy
Regular Contributor

"Your application has been submitted and is pending approval", aka...DECLINED.

I have yet to understand the reason for institutions to blow smoke with the "pending approval" lie after hitting submit on a cc application. The hard pulls start popping alerts a minute later, and you get that sick feeling in your gut..."Why did I bother with this Wells Fargo Reflect card in the first place"? Ugh. Pending, in my 30 years of having credit...always,always,always....means declined. If it didn't, you would see the golden Congrats.
Shoulda thrown the mail right in the garbage like I usually do.

Now, hard pulls for nothing. 

EQ: 759 ; EXP: 797 ; TU: 758
BOA Cash Rewards:$27,000 ; BOA Business Cash Rewards:$30,000 ; AMEX PLATINUM BUSINESS-Open; Amex Business Blue- $30,000; AMEX Everyday Preferred: $30,000; Venture One:$11,750 ; QuickSilver:$10,500 ; CFU: $6,000 ; Home Depot: $15,000 ; Lowe's: $25,000 ; AMEX Business Plum: Open ; Discover It: $13,500; Elan Financial; $14,500; Citi Diamond Preferred-$11,000; CitiBusiness AAdvantage; $7,000; SYNC Welcome Home-$25,000
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Re: "Your application has been submitted and is pending approval", aka...DECLINED.

👎 Hate it when that happens but maybe you could call them and ask if they need anymore info... possibly turning things around or possibly finding out it's not a definite No after all. 

...but yeah, sux not knowing as quickly as the hp's start hitting.👎👎👎

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 2 of 14
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Re: "Your application has been submitted and is pending approval", aka...DECLINED.

I found this if you want to give it a try (if you haven't already)

"To contact the Wells Fargo reconsideration line, call 1 (800) 967-9521. The Wells Fargo reconsideration line is a way for denied credit card applicants to request a second review of their application and potentially get the denial overturned."

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 3 of 14
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

It's a realistic possibility that for any of a number of reasons WF wasn't 100% positive that it was in fact you that applied for the card.  That isn't an unusual step for any issuer and such applications are remanded to an internal team to manually follow up with.  

As was just mentioned, it isn't a bad idea to go ahead and call the reconsideration line and ask them if there is anything they need from you to help process the application.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 14
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@TaperRandy wrote:

I have yet to understand the reason for institutions to blow smoke with the "pending approval" lie after hitting submit on a cc application. The hard pulls start popping alerts a minute later, and you get that sick feeling in your gut..."Why did I bother with this Wells Fargo Reflect card in the first place"? Ugh. Pending, in my 30 years of having credit...always,always,always....means declined. If it didn't, you would see the golden Congrats.

My decades of credit experience have shown me the same thing....always a denial. BUT!!! As has been noted, it's always *possible* that WF just needed additional info, time, whatever. Some people on this site do indeed get approved for accounts AFTER getting the dreaded "...and is pending approval" message. So hang in there! It *could* still happen. Smiley Happy

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 5 of 14
Phana24
Regular Contributor

@TaperRandy wrote:

FNBO(at least the Evergreen business card) does this for virtually everyone, and the majority with above good credit get approved. 

Message 6 of 14
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

My last three applications have had the pending approval thing happen to me. I have always been instantly approved or instantly denied. I wonder if this has something to do with worker shortages.

Anyway, I got the pending approval message from FNBO and was approved 2 days later with a SL of $15K. Same thing with Chase Ink Business Unlimited (ultimately approved for $5K) and Amex Business Blue Cash (approved for $10K).

Hang in there, I've learned that the message doesn't necessarily believe that you are denied. Might just be the way of the world these days.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 849
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 14
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

I've gotten the pending message only to get approved a day or two later. It's not always a denial.

I chalk it up to the computer not making an automatic decision and it being referred to a human underwriter. I'm sure this varies by lender. 

Message 8 of 14
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@TaperRandy wrote:

Now, hard pulls for nothing

Nothing I hate more (yeah, I am talking to you AGAIN Citi! Smiley Mad)

Potential Future Cards
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TaperRandy wrote:

I have several accounts at WF and this is what it has taught me;

I use them as my primary checking and savings account. I then have several CC's with them. Two of my CC's where opened in the last year. My applications at WF always go PENDING but I am always approved. I do honestlly think that banks where you have a good relationship with as far as deposit accounts go a long way. I can guarantee you that if I did not have my deposit accounts at WF I would have never been approved for all my CC's.

It may be best to first try your banks where you have deposit accounts. They have a hard time to say no to you if you have a decent amount of money on deposit with them.

Thanks

Mark

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.