Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AAdvantage Platinum Select - Approved without SSN

tag
Deuter
Regular Contributor

AAdvantage Platinum Select - Approved without SSN

Hi so this happened to me....

I applied for the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select card as i've been receiving offers since 1 or 2 years. This would be my first Credit Card ever in the US. I don't have an SSN or ITIN. No prior credit history. I applied for it and was approved!!! I never expected this! 

SL of 10K 

I never had any credit card before. I have been an AA frequent flyer since 2008 though and have been elite status to them for 8 years straight, but i am a tourist!

So.. my nexts steps would be aiming for the Amex Plat or Sapphire Reserve, even the other Exec AA card. When i can expect to do this???

I was approved and because already the 6 months passed, i am now reporting a Fico score of 713, that would my first Fico on file from Nada.

Thank you very much!!! I don't know how strange or usual or doable is this. But i do know that i'll like to have 20-30K limits in one card, and build a portafolio with one Amex and the Chase Sapphire Reserve (maybe dreams without SSN).

New in the forums!! 

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Re: AAdvantage Platinum Select - Approved without SSN

Congratulations!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 2 of 24
imaximous
Valued Contributor

Congrats!
I’m curious to know what you entered in the section that asks for a SSN. Banks have to search for your file to extend credit and you said you don’t even have a tax ID number.
Message 3 of 24
Deuter
Regular Contributor

I didn't put anything. I applied in branch with my banker he filled most of the application for me. I don't remember what we did with the SSN blank.  He only asked me for a letter of employment from my employer abroad and that's what i gave him. He told something about filling the application as a Citi Global/International Client? 

Bear in mind that i am female and my banker has always been friendly to me. 

Still should i apply to the Amex Plat soon? Or keep using responsably this card for let's say 1 year more. I also read that sign up bonuses are one in a lifetime so i don't have idea if right now is a good season. 

Message 4 of 24
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@Deuter wrote:

I didn't put anything. I applied in branch with my banker he filled most of the application for me. I don't remember what we did with the SSN blank.  He only asked me for a letter of employment from my employer abroad and that's what i gave him. He told something about filling the application as a Citi Global/International Client? 

Bear in mind that i am female and my banker has always been friendly to me. 

Still should i apply to the Amex Plat soon? Or keep using responsably this card for let's say 1 year more. I also read that sign up bonuses are one in a lifetime so i don't have idea if right now is a good season. 

Glad it worked out for you. I honestly haven't heard of anything similar, so this is great info.

I really doubt that being a female and having a friendly banker have anything to do with your approval. Aside from helping you fill out forms, they can't offer any approvals just like that. Like you said, there must be a program that allows foreigners to get a card with Citi. 

I don't know about AMEX, though. I suppose you'd need to find out if they can do something similar for you. My understanding is that AMEX offers residents of certain countries the opportunity to apply for a US AMEX. It's right on the site, but I don't know the full requirements. I do believe it starts by having an AMEX in your country and being on a list of participating countries. 

Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval and very nice SL  !!

Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats Deuter and welcome to my FICO! Smiley Happy

It's a great starting limit on your card.

I had a similar experience with Citi long time ago when I didn't had a SSN and I was just a student. I had to open a bank account with Citi as a student checking account and at the same time banker advised me to apply for a secured card (Citi TY preffered card) and to my surprise I got approved without SSN and with 1,000 SL. In OP situaion maybe it has something to do with being Citi Global/International Client but 'am not sure 'am not an expert right. I am glad that you got approved OP for a great card and hope you don't see a HP on your credit profile if you have a SSN and if you currently don't have a SSN then for sure in future when you get one you should see a HP done by Citi for current approved CC. same thing happened with me like I said I experienced it. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 24
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the approval! Interesting DPs without having a SSN or ITIN.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 8 of 24
sghosh5
Valued Contributor

Congrats. Yes i remember when i was an International Student here in USA and didn't have SSN in my initial days, CITI used to come to college campus to sign us up and we used to fill up paper applications without SSN and got approved for two cards back then. Too bad i ended up burning them and defaulting with CITI but that was another story.

Shell FCU : 5K
Message 9 of 24
difringe
Established Contributor

Congratulations on the approval!

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.