cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX BCP CLI to 50,000!

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: AMEX BCP CLI to 50,000!

Your sig has the BCE 🤔, do you have a BCP or BCE?


Current:

Potential Future Cards:




24 months until mortgage applications start in 2022
Message 21 of 30
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX BCP CLI to 50,000!

Congrats!





  |  
Message 22 of 30
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX BCP CLI to 50,000!


@BrutalBodyShots wrote:

@manwoot wrote:

I've had it since 2013 and have only been going 5k at a time since it was 25k.  It's been 6 months so I figured why not and went from 45k to 50k! 

 

Anyone know what the limit is? Should I have asked for more? 


From my experience, asking for more than $5k would have resulted in you still only getting a max of $5k anyway, so I don't believe you left anything on the table.  I followed the $5k/6mo approach for years from $30k up to $59,900.  When at $55,000 I was only able to obtain $59,900 when I tried for $60k. 

 

It's been almost a year since I asked for a CLI since hitting what I believed to be a ceiling at $59,900.  I just put in a request and rather than get an immediate response it said I'd receive one in a few days or something.  I'd imagine that's a hard "no" which is fine since I go months without even using the card.


Thanks for providing your experience!  I'll have to report back in 6 months and see where I end up.

 


@importxpresions wrote:

Your sig has the BCE 🤔, do you have a BCP or BCE?


I have the BCP.  I haven't updated my signature in quite some time, but I recently upgraded because they offered a bonus for upgrading and spending some $$$ which I'm happy to do Smiley Happy


Message 23 of 30
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX BCP CLI to 50,000!

Got a letter response back from my CLI request; I requested $65k when my current limit is $59,900. 

 

The CLI request was denied as I expected.  Their reason however was bogus, something to the tune of "your monthly payments relative to your balance aren't high enough."  That suggests that A - I'm carrying a [presumably high] balance and/or B - My payments are small.  Neither are the case, as I've never carried a balance on the card (last reported balance $0, current balance a 2-digit number) and I always PIF the entire balance every month.  The card always reports $0.

 

What they should have said that is indeed the case is that I don't use nearly enough of the current limit to remotely justify a further CLI on account.  In fact, they should have hit me with a CLD years ago if I'm being honest.

Message 24 of 30
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX BCP CLI to 50,000!


@BrutalBodyShots wrote:

Got a letter response back from my CLI request; I requested $65k when my current limit is $59,900. 

 

The CLI request was denied as I expected.  Their reason however was bogus, something to the tune of "your monthly payments relative to your balance aren't high enough."  That suggests that A - I'm carrying a [presumably high] balance and/or B - My payments are small.  Neither are the case, as I've never carried a balance on the card (last reported balance $0, current balance a 2-digit number) and I always PIF the entire balance every month.  The card always reports $0.

 

What they should have said that is indeed the case is that I don't use nearly enough of the current limit to remotely justify a further CLI on account.  In fact, they should have hit me with a CLD years ago if I'm being honest.


Thanks for trying and reporting the results.

 

It's really strange how frequently the stated reasons for denial are just untrue. I don't just mean Amex. It seems pretty pervasive. I wonder if this will be an area of regulatory reform at some point. Lying to consumers seems bad, but there doesn't currently appear to be any legal force behind that principle. 


Message 25 of 30
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX BCP CLI to 50,000!

Yeah, to my understanding they are only required to provide you with "a" reason.  I think many people incorrectly think the reason given is always "THE" reason, when many times it has absolutely nothing to do with the denial.

 

Fun fact, though for those that are unaware:  Any time you receive a CLI denial you can use your denial letter to obtain a free copy of your real credit report from a major CRA.

Message 26 of 30
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX BCP CLI to 50,000!

Congratulations on the CLI and amazing limit!  #GOALS 

 
Message 27 of 30
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX BCP CLI to 50,000!


@BrutalBodyShots wrote:

@manwoot wrote:

I've had it since 2013 and have only been going 5k at a time since it was 25k.  It's been 6 months so I figured why not and went from 45k to 50k! 

 

Anyone know what the limit is? Should I have asked for more? 


From my experience, asking for more than $5k would have resulted in you still only getting a max of $5k anyway, so I don't believe you left anything on the table.  I followed the $5k/6mo approach for years from $30k up to $59,900.  When at $55,000 I was only able to obtain $59,900 when I tried for $60k. 

 

It's been almost a year since I asked for a CLI since hitting what I believed to be a ceiling at $59,900.  I just put in a request and rather than get an immediate response it said I'd receive one in a few days or something.  I'd imagine that's a hard "no" which is fine since I go months without even using the card.


I have seen youtube videos about AMEX card CLI's, people have said that you can get your first CLI after having the card for 2 months, and you could get up to 3 times your current limit. All these videos were made pre-Covid-19 though. I was curious what do you think about my first CLI request? On July 3rd I'll be at 3 months. I don't know if it's realistic to ask for 3 times my  $10,000 limit or should I just ask for the $5000? My utilization is 0% and I usually spend $700 to $1000 each month on the card currently then pay it off. 

 
Message 28 of 30
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX BCP CLI to 50,000!


@BrutalBodyShots wrote:

Yeah, to my understanding they are only required to provide you with "a" reason.  I think many people incorrectly think the reason given is always "THE" reason, when many times it has absolutely nothing to do with the denial.

 

Fun fact, though for those that are unaware:  Any time you receive a CLI denial you can use your denial letter to obtain a free copy of your real credit report from a major CRA.


I kinda wish some CCC would fully commit to this charade and start citing more amusing denial reasons. No CLI because your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!


Message 29 of 30
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX BCP CLI to 50,000!

Congratulations 🍾🎊🎉🎈 

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.