Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX CLI

When I began my credit card journey in 2016, my strategy was to open cc's where I had brokerage/savings accounts. This lead me to geting a Schwab AMEX in Nov. My SL was $5000 and 91 days later I tried 3Xing it and got it doubled to $10,000 making it my highest CL.

My income is $29,000 and I really don't spend that much but I just wondered if I could get a CLI (since I haven't tried in awhile). Right now my AMEX is basically getting my monthly Net10 bill of around $18 and whatever token spend I can throw it's way (I'm in my first year of my Discover It, so it's getting most of my charges). My free FICO scores are EXP (735) and TU (730). I have no derogs. 3 inquires in the last year (EXP) and 2 inquiries on my TU. I PIF before the statement cut on ALL of my cards showing zero utilization across the board.

I didn't want to try anything too ridiculous because of my low spend, so I just asked for double my CL ($20,000) and I figured I would get a lowball counter. Well, the counter turned out to almost be the requested amount. The system offered me $19,300.00 which I accepted. This is my HIGHEST CL  and so close to my income I sort of feel like I'm imagining things (hopefully, they don't reconsider and give me a CLD).

I know CC companies don't necessarily look at what their competitors are doing but I recently got a NFCU cashRewards (card has yet to show up on my credit report) and was hoping for a big CLI in  the future (my SL is $500); maybe my AMEX can have some positive effect.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
schsa210
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX CLI

Congrats!

~buried myself in the garden~
Message 2 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Awesome increaseSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the very nice increase.
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the congrats everyone. It's a heck of a way to cap off the week.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats very nice!!
Message 6 of 13
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Congrats!

Message 7 of 13
thornback
Senior Contributor

Congrats in the CLI!

One thing tho -

"I PIF before the statement cut on ALL of my cards showing zero utilization across the board."

You may be losing FICO points for showing 0% util. "No revolving card use" is a negative reason code. FICO likes to see at least one card report a low (<8.9%) balance. I used to report 0% util too - thinking that was best, until I noticed that reason code under "what's hurting your score" - so I let one card report $10 and my score jumped 11 points and that reason code disappeared. Just something you may want to consider.

Enjoy the new limit!!
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 8 of 13
SwarthyOgre
Regular Contributor

Congrats! A few posts I have read in the forums lead me to believe that higher limits from one lender will parlay into higer limits from another as long as you use them responsibly so here is hoping you see some higher limits in your not too distant future.

Also, what TMR said. ^^^^

Starting scores: 5/15 - EQ: 546 | TU: 580 | EX: 554
Current scores: 4/23 - EQ: 750 | TU: 750 | EX: 750
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thornbackwrote:
Congrats in the CLI!

One thing tho -

"I PIF before the statement cut on ALL of my cards showing zero utilization across the board."

You may be losing FICO points for showing 0% util. "No revolving card use" is a negative reason code. FICO likes to see at least one card report a low (<8.9%) balance. I used to report 0% util too - thinking that was best, until I noticed that reason code under "what's hurting your score" - so I let one card report $10 and my score jumped 11 points and that reason code disappeared. Just something you may want to consider.

Enjoy the new limit!!

I've avoided AZEO because habitually it's easier for me to use my CC's like Debit Cards and just pay my bills as I have the money and they post (or sometimes before they post). My next app is probably a Discover Miles (I think it would pair well with my IT the way the Chase Freedom and FU go together) which would be around Oct., a year after getting my IT. But I do want a GOOD NFCU CLI and was thinking about hitting the LUV button 91 days after getting my cashRewards. I'm wondering would AZEO trump the hit I'll get by having a new account and lower average age of accounts. Would a better strategy be practicing AZEO and hitting LUV six months instead of 91 days?

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.