Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice needed on getting in with AmEx

tag
tbque
Valued Contributor

Advice needed on getting in with AmEx

A baddie fail off my EX CR today which has allowed me to finally pre-qualify for a few AmEx cards (only co-branded). I been waiting patiently to get in with AmEx so I'm trying to decide between HH Aspire, HH Surpass or regular HH and the Gold Delta SkyMiles or Blue Delta SkyMiles.  I travel periodically for work and pleasure so any of these cards would get some usage.

Any advice on which direction I should go? Wish I hadn't missed the waiver of the first year AF on the Aspire. 😕 The dps in my signature are current.

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
kudosalert
Frequent Contributor

Re: Advice needed on getting in with AmEx

@tbque wrote:

A baddie fail off my EX CR today which has allowed me to finally pre-qualify for a few AmEx cards (only co-branded). I been waiting patiently to get in with AmEx so I'm trying to decide between HH Aspire, HH Surpass or regular HH and the Gold Delta SkyMiles or Blue Delta SkyMiles.  I travel periodically for work and pleasure so any of these cards would get some usage.

Any advice on which direction I should go? Wish I hadn't missed the waiver of the first year AF on the Aspire. 😕 The dps in my signature are current.

It comes down to a lot of things. Are you loyal to Hilton/Delta? Are they international or domestic trips? Where are you based?

All of these things ultimately will decide which perks you'll be able to use/enjoy the most. I would look at the perks and see which ones applies to your particular situation. I cant really say which card is the best without knowing way too much personal details about you Smiley Tongue

For example: I'm not really loyal to any airlines/hotels. I tend to stay at AirBnBs. I value Priority Lounge access over Delta lounges so the Aspire/Surpass makes sense for me. I dont fly domestic as much as international so bag fees are not really an issue (they're also covered by the airline incidental credits from the Aspire).

I honestly dont see that much value in the Delta cards. You would be better off getting your scores higher and getting cards that earn UR/MR points so you can transfer to a partner of your choice to enjoy the benefits. BTW, why do you still have those secured cards. I would graduate them and product change them into a no AF card. 

In my wallet:

In my desk:
Message 2 of 23
MrCreditInternational
Frequent Contributor

Also I guess you can probably apply for the Gold or Green if they fit you more since those cards have NPSL, so they can give you a low limit initially and them increase that with time.

I was approved for the gold without a FICO score and a couple of cards reporting for 2 or 3 months max

Just make sure you get the higher SUBs using incognito (50k for Gold / 45k for Green)

Schwab Amex Platinum (NPSL); Amex Gold (NPSL); HH Aspire (31,700); Amex BBP (27,000); HSBC Premier WMC (18,000); USB Altitude Reserve (10,000); Chase Sapphire Preferred (5,800), Delta Platinum (5,000); Apple Card (4,750); USB Altitude Go (1,000)

Started collecting cards: Oct/2018
Message 3 of 23
tbque
Valued Contributor

@kudosalert wrote:

@tbque wrote:

It comes down to a lot of things. Are you loyal to Hilton/Delta? Are they international or domestic trips? Where are you based?

All of these things ultimately will decide which perks you'll be able to use/enjoy the most. I would look at the perks and see which ones applies to your particular situation. I cant really say which card is the best without knowing way too much personal details about you Smiley Tongue

For example: I'm not really loyal to any airlines/hotels. I tend to stay at AirBnBs. I value Priority Lounge access over Delta lounges so the Aspire/Surpass makes sense for me. I dont fly domestic as much as international so bag fees are not really an issue (they're also covered by the airline incidental credits from the Aspire).

I honestly dont see that much value in the Delta cards. You would be better off getting your scores higher and getting cards that earn UR/MR points so you can transfer to a partner of your choice to enjoy the benefits. BTW, why do you still have those secured cards. I would graduate them and product change them into a no AF card. 

Thanks for the response @kudosalert.  Yeah, the remaining secured cards haven't automatically graduated yet, hence why I still have them.  I hoping Disco graduates this month's billing cycle. CapOne never will and not sure if/when BOA and SDFCU will.

I'm leaning towards pulling the trigger on the Aspire but a little nervous it may be declined? Does AmEx counter if initial card is denied?

Message 4 of 23
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

You can recon. One thing to keep in mind is that to be approved you need to qualify for more than a 3x multiplier if the AF. If they'll only approve you for $1000, you can get the normal card or the surpass, but not the aspire.

Message 5 of 23
kudosalert
Frequent Contributor

I dont know about Cap1 or Disco but I called after 8 months to ask BOA to graduate my card. Im curious, are you the AU on those Navy cards? Quite high limits vs your secured cards.

I initially went for the Surpass because I didnt think I was going to get the Aspire approved with a 720 something score. Plan was to get the Surpass then upgrade after one year. After asking around ppl on the forum said to go for it if my pre approval page shows some of Amex core revolvers (which it did). However I still went for the Surpass because I didnt want to pay the 450 AF on Aspire. Another reason was that I only have 3 international trips coming up which meant the Surpass 10 lounge visits would have been good enough. Fast forward til this week, I jumped on that no AF Aspire offer so here I am with both cards...

I think the Green card is also worth taking a look at. Same sub as the Gold but slightly lesser AF.

As far as i know Amex does not counter with another card. You can recon try to plea your case there "i have a trip coming up...will use card to pay for xyz"...

In my wallet:

In my desk:
Message 6 of 23
tbque
Valued Contributor

@kudosalert wrote:
I dont know about Cap1 or Disco but I called after 8 months to ask BOA to graduate my card. Im curious, are you the AU on those Navy cards? Quite high limits vs your secured cards.

I initially went for the Surpass because I didnt think I was going to get the Aspire approved with a 720 something score. Plan was to get the Surpass then upgrade after one year. After asking around ppl on the forum said to go for it if my pre approval page shows some of Amex core revolvers (which it did). However I still went for the Surpass because I didnt want to pay the 450 AF on Aspire. Another reason was that I only have 3 international trips coming up which meant the Surpass 10 lounge visits would have been good enough. Fast forward til this week, I jumped on that no AF Aspire offer so here I am with both cards...

I think the Green card is also worth taking a look at. Same sub as the Gold but slightly lesser AF.

As far as i know Amex does not counter with another card. You can recon try to plea your case there "i have a trip coming up...will use card to pay for xyz"...

No the Navy cards are mine, started with a secured Nrewards that didn't graduate so just app'd for the other two and then the other one graduated. 

Based on what you're saying, pulling the trigger makes me even more nervous since I don't have any pre-quals for any of their core revolvers.  I'm thinking about app'ing for a revolver and a charge card on the same day. Any advice on what combination would be best?

Message 7 of 23
kudosalert
Frequent Contributor

I would go for the Green and Surpass.

Green earns MR. Surpass gives you a decent bonus and Priority passes.

In my wallet:

In my desk:
Message 8 of 23
kudosalert
Frequent Contributor

I would app for the Green first if you are nervous.

In my wallet:

In my desk:
Message 9 of 23
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@tbque  do you still have other negatives on your CR?

Also, is utilization percentage in your signature accurate? 

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.