cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Blacklist No More!

tag
wngraham

Amex Blacklist No More!

To make a long story short, I burned Amex for $3400 with a Chapter 13 in 2009. After being discharged in 2014 I slowly started building my credit back up, first with a Capital One Platinum, then a Discover It, Cap One Quicksilver, Cap One Venture, Barclay's Arrival and Wells Fargo Propel over the next 5 years. During that time I never carried a balance once and my score shot up from the mid 500's (ouch!) to the 743 it is today, with over $50,000 in available credit. Over the last year or so I've tried applying for multiple Amex cards and got instantly denied without a hard pull. It got be a regular routine, almost as a joke. I hadn't tried in a couple of months and realized yesterday that August 19th was the 10th anniversary of my Chapter 7 filing. Feeling lucky I went to the Amex pre-qualified page and was "pre-approved" for a Platinum card. This has happened multiple times before but I can never get past the actual application. Last night I tried again...but "processing"  stayed on the screen way longer than it ever had before...and I was approved!!!! Just got the UPS email with the next day delivery tracking info.

It looks like (at least for me) 10 years was the sweet spot.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Blacklist No More!

Congrats!

Quick question:   At first you reference a Chapter 13 and then you mention a Chapter 7.   Can you clarify?   I'm hoping to get back in after 10 years with my Chapter 7 -- but I burned them for more like 30k....

Message 2 of 11
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Very nice and congrats on getting back in and your Platinum approval!
Message 3 of 11
wngraham

Oops, it was a 13. I think my repayment plan I only paid them back around 40% of what I owed.
Message 4 of 11
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congrats on Platinum card.

Message 5 of 11
Streetervillelady
Frequent Contributor

@wngraham wrote:

To make a long story short, I burned Amex for $3400 with a Chapter 13 in 2009. After being discharged in 2014 I slowly started building my credit back up, first with a Capital One Platinum, then a Discover It, Cap One Quicksilver, Cap One Venture, Barclay's Arrival and Wells Fargo Propel over the next 5 years. During that time I never carried a balance once and my score shot up from the mid 500's (ouch!) to the 743 it is today, with over $50,000 in available credit. Over the last year or so I've tried applying for multiple Amex cards and got instantly denied without a hard pull. It got be a regular routine, almost as a joke. I hadn't tried in a couple of months and realized yesterday that August 19th was the 10th anniversary of my Chapter 7 filing. Feeling lucky I went to the Amex pre-qualified page and was "pre-approved" for a Platinum card. This has happened multiple times before but I can never get past the actual application. Last night I tried again...but "processing"  stayed on the screen way longer than it ever had before...and I was approved!!!! Just got the UPS email with the next day delivery tracking info.

It looks like (at least for me) 10 years was the sweet spot.

Congratulations!  My punishment was much longer.

Snoop.gif

Message 6 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Awesome! Spent 10 years in time out myselfSmiley Wink
Message 7 of 11
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

Congrats on getting out of the Amex doghouse!!
And yes DPs would suggest that 10 years is the sweet spot for most if not all of BL’ed that owed no more than $5K.
New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval, and getting back in with Amex!!
Message 9 of 11
calyx
Super Contributor

Huge congrats on getting back in with AMEX.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.