Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Delta Skymiles Approval

tag
dudefromtx
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Delta Skymiles Approval

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Congrats!  The value of the Welcome Offer on the Gold compared to Blue will generally cover the annual fee for years, so don't think of it as a mistake - you will come out well ahead even if you pay the AF for a few years as long as you use those SkyMiles for an award fare at some point.  The Gold also offers benefits that the Blue does not.  If you (and up to 8 companions flying with you) check at least 4 bags a year, and that could be two people checking one bag each for a single round-trip, your savings will already outweigh the annual fee.  But definitely don't even consider downgrading until the annual fee hits next year (you have 30 days once it hits to close or downgrade the card), and many of us suggest waiting until at least the 2nd renewal to not jeopardize your chances for future Amex Welcome Offers which can be quite lucrative.

@K-in-Boston Thank you for the advice! I'll probably just keep it because the AF isn't too bad and there is a lot of benefits with it. 

Message 11 of 25
dudefromtx
Established Contributor

Thank you everyone! I'm just thrilled to get in the door with AMEX! Hopefully it will grow and I can continue to have a good relationship with them. I know it's a long shot but how often can you ask for CLI on the AMEX cards?

Message 12 of 25
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

You can ask at any time.  People generally have better luck after having the card for at least 61 days.  With a $1k approval that may be a long shot as you said.  You can ask for up to 3x your current limit.  If you get approved, you can ask again 181 days later.  If you get denied, you can ask again 91 days later.  Amex CLIs are per account holder across all cards (if you get an approval or denial on any card, it resets the timer before you can ask again on any card) so if you were to get more in the future it's good to keep that in mind.

Message 13 of 25
dudefromtx
Established Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

You can ask at any time.  People generally have better luck after having the card for at least 61 days.  With a $1k approval that may be a long shot as you said.  You can ask for up to 3x your current limit.  If you get approved, you can ask again 181 days later.  If you get denied, you can ask again 91 days later.  Amex CLIs are per account holder across all cards (if you get an approval or denial on any card, it resets the timer before you can ask again on any card) so if you were to get more in the future it's good to keep that in mind.

Thank you for the advice! Is it a SP or HP for CLI's or is it YMMV sort of thing?

Message 14 of 25
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Always a SP.

Message 15 of 25
toddc
Regular Contributor

Congrats. I have this card and haven't gotten an annual fee on this in my second year.  I don't know if it's pandemic related or something different. Fully intended on downgrading to no af but they never charged me one after the first year. 

Message 16 of 25
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

Cool news getting in with AMEX!

Congrats to you, cheers!

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 17 of 25
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your Delta Amex approval! 🎉🥳👍🏼

Message 18 of 25
dudefromtx
Established Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Always a SP.

Thank you for the tip!

Message 19 of 25
dudefromtx
Established Contributor

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.