Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App spree plus a few questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

App spree plus a few questions

My scores for this were 762 Equifax/ 756 Experian/ 762 TransUnion with 0% utilization 1 inquiry and zero negatives.

1.) PenFed Rewards Amex

I joined today and immediately applied for a card, they sent an email wanting I.D/Pay stub/ Utility bill/Social security card before considering my application.

2.) NavyFed Platinum approved for 10K

3.) USAA Signature Visa approved for 25K

4.) Discover IT approved for 20K

5.)  Blispay approved for 7.5K

6.) Chase Freedom approved for 21K

7.) Chase Slate I submitted the app and it must have timed out because I didn't get an approval or denial. ***Update*** Applied again today and got approved for 11.8K

8.) Citi Simplicity Denied

9.) Amex Everyday Denied they sent a counter offer with a garbage card with a $500 limit and I declined it

10.) Tried for a secon NavyFed card and was denied.

Would I have had better results if I had the apps all filled out and sent at the same time? I kind of took a break for dinner halfway and started getting alerts about new inquiries so I'm really kicking myself for not planning better. Hopefully that wasn't a factor but I'm not a pro like some of you.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: App spree plus a few questions

Congrats on apps spree approval and all nice SL

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shoulda applied for the 2 Chase cards first then wait til you saw the inquiry before apping for anything else. Due to the 5/24 rule, if you just got approved for 5 cards before apping for the freedom, you kinda lucked out with that approval. But if you did chase first you mighta got both just woulda had to wait a few days for the second one to go through. Discover probably woulda been safe to save for a later app they seem pretty cool with a lot of recent inquiries.

That said unless they all do it literally at the same instant then I'm pretty sure they're gonna see the previous inquiries so I don't think submitting all the apps at once woulda made a major difference. What's more important is the order that you apply. Timing can be influential, like with the example before. If I wait til chase pulls the report, then apply for another card, chase won't see the second card even if it's an instant approval and you're still waiting to hear back from Chase. But also the second issuer wont see the Chase card - although they will see the inquiry. So it's best to plot based on rules like Chase's 5/24, Citi's 6/6, and general takeaways about other and smaller institutions like penfed and nfcu from as reliable of sources as you can find.

That was my approach when I apped last week. I had lower scores than you, 5 inquiries in the last 6 months, and 1 negative from 2016 (60 day late). I applied for 8 cards (Citi Premier, Sears MasterCard, BoA Spirit Air MasterCard, Amex Ameriprise Platinum and Gold, Amex Delta Gold, PayPal Cash Back MasterCard, and Discover It), 3 on Monday or Tuesday and 5 on Friday, and was approved for all except the Spirit Air MasterCard. I have had another Citi card for a couple of months, and an Amex card for almost 4 years.
Message 3 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Wow, super grats on massive limits, especially Disco. You cant get 2 Navy cards in one day. What kind of income do you report and what is your aaol. Thanks
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

110K and not sure what aaol is but if its average account age 60 months.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I apped again for the Chase Slate today and got approved for 11.8K. I really wanted a couple of Citi cards but it looks like I messed up on those.

Message 6 of 13
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Because we're not allowed to discuss locking or freezing reports for the purpose of manipulating applications, we're not going to be able to advise you on that. Discussion of locks or freezes for the sake of security is allowed. 

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great haul with some really stellar approvals. Also, great work on nuturing your credit to those scores you have listed.

With 0% utilization, I wonder why you need a Chase Slate. I’d hold off on any additional applying of a Chase card as they may cancel the card you were approved for if they see all of the inquiry activity. That could occur with any additional HP request.

If all of this occurred in a day or a few days, I’d also advise against any additional applying because with 60mo Average Age of Accounts and the accumulation of so many cards, I believe you meet the criterion for Bust Out even if that wasn’t your intention.

Regardless, congrats again on your success and those sweet starting limits.

Bust out info: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Bust-Out-Score/td-p/5116259/
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was interested in the Chase cards for some balance transfers to help out a family member. I guess I had some misconceptions that applying for everything in a few days was the best route. I don't really plan on getting anything else in the near future so hopefully I'll be ok. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Didn’t meant to worry you. I’m definitely known to do app sprees too—score impact happens at once and your accounts age together.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.