cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA Americard Approval $5k. Recon for 10k?

tag
dlister70
Frequent Contributor

BOA Americard Approval $5k. Recon for 10k?

I have around $10k on my Discover It card, and the 0% interest is up in about 5 weeks.  I applied for the Americard so that I could transfer the Discover balance, but I was only approved for $5k.

Should I wait until I get the actual card before calling recon?  Or could I call them now even though I don't have an account number?

Has anyone had success with BOA with upping the limit immediately?  I've done it before with US Bank when they gave me a Cash+ card with only $500 and I asked for $5000 and they gave it to me.  I'm hoping it will be that easy here, but I haven't had a BOA card in a long time.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Re: BOA Americard Approval $5k. Recon for 10k?

I think with any card your best bet is to try asap Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 15
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congrats on yer approval!

Message 3 of 15
Pro-X
Frequent Contributor

Congrats on your approval!!

Message 4 of 15
Marz2002
Senior Contributor

CONGRATS on your BoA Americard approval - I would recon ASAP! 

AMEX BCP $8K | AMEX Cash Magnet $15K | Citi DoubleCash WEMC $15.2K | Citi Rewards WMC $15.5K | Citi Costco VS $12K
Citi Custom Cash WEMC $7.8K | Synchrony (PayPal Credit $6K, Care Credit $15K, & PayPal 2% MC $10K, VENMO VS $6.5K)
PNC Cash Rewards VS $10.5K | NFCU cashRewards VS $14K | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $37.5K | NFCU Flagship Rewards VS $23K
Discover IT $22.5K | BB&T Cash Rewards $4.5K | Macy's AMEX $25K | Bloomingdales AMEX $20K | Apple Card WEMC $9K
PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS $7.5K

Total CL - $284K+
Message 5 of 15
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!
Message 6 of 15
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

So you want to get a CLI on your new BoA card so you can max it out immeditely  Definately a horrible idea

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 7 of 15
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Congrats ! ! !

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 8 of 15
dlister70
Frequent Contributor

I called the recon line, and they wouldn't increase the limit stating the reason was that the account was less than 12 months old.  But that I was welcome to try again in a few days and see if I get a different answer.  It sounds like they were just requesting a normal CLI.

I called this number from the backdoor thread:

BofA: 800-354-0401 (Recon) - app100

Is there a better number to call for this sort of request?

Message 9 of 15
dlister70
Frequent Contributor

@dlister70 wrote:

I called the recon line, and they wouldn't increase the limit stating the reason was that the account was less than 12 months old.  But that I was welcome to try again in a few days and see if I get a different answer.  It sounds like they were just requesting a normal CLI.

I called this number from the backdoor thread:

BofA: 800-354-0401 (Recon) - app100

Is there a better number to call for this sort of request?

I tried this number today:

BofA:  866-618-4585 (Sr Credit Analyst) ~corymcdd88

They said that they could put in a CLI request for me, but saw that I had just done one a few days ago with the other number.  I explained that I wasn't trying to initiate a credit line increase, I was wanting a higher starting limit.  I explained that I had done this with US Bank before, and spoke with someone in underwriting and they changed my initial limit for me.  She said that Bank of America would only change the limit with a credit line increase, and since the reason for denial was that the card was too new, she didn't think it would be any different today, but could check for me.

I told her not to check if it was just going to be a regular CLI, and asked if there was anyone who could manually review the situation, and she said no.

I appear to have hit a brick wall, and can't find any numbers for underwriting for BofA.

Does anyone else have an idea?

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.