Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broke $50K with Discover!

tag
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Broke $50K with Discover!

While it's not much in context, Discover just gave me a $1K credit limit increase on my Discover IT, raising my credit limit to $51,000Smiley Very Happy

My Discover is the oldest card that I still have open from my first decade in credit, dating back to 1993.  They were one lender that offered me some valuable balance transfers about ten years ago to help me out while I was paying off some debts.  The highest balance I think I've ever posted on it was about $16K.  Over the years they had slowly increased my CL far above that amount, even though I wasn't using close to my limit.  

• On 5/12/2019, the second-to-last increase was from $44.5K to $49.5K. (see link)
  • Then on 9/12/2019, they gave me the final bump to $50K. (see link)

Since then, even though I've continued to use it as I had before (light usage), all CLIs have been denied. Smiley Sad  It appeared I had tapped out, but I've been grateful for that high $50K limit.  It was my second to reach that level.  In November, I had a high statement balance on my Goldman Sachs Apple card, so I decided to do a short-term BT onto Discover, mainly just to pump up utilization and see if it got their attention.  It was no fee and the interest rate was 4.99%, which meant it just cost me a few dollars for any day the balance posted.  I wrote it off as an experiment.  I paid (or balance-transferred to another card) the total balance which was over $35K at one point in December so that the card balance showed $0 on the website, save for the unposted interest.  Then I asked for CLI in December before my statement posted.  Declined.   So I waited until after the statement cut; paid the trailing interest balance; and then requested again yesterday.  This time, I got a message that it was under review.  Today, an analyst called me to verify reported household income.  After waiting on the system to update, he informed me that I was eligible for a $500 increase.  When I told him I had some large expenses and/or need for balance transfers coming up and asked if he could increase that at all, he rounded it off to a $1K increase, $51,000 total.  Thanks, Discover!  While I was hoping for more, I'm grateful for an approval. 

This makes THREE cards I have that are OVER $50K in limits. That's three more than I had when I came on My Fico three years ago, so thanks to the community for all the information and support!  Smiley Happy

Discover_CLI_20220108.jpg

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 1 of 46
45 REPLIES 45
Elpadrino1
Valued Contributor

Re: Broke $50K with Discover!

Congratulations on your Disco CLI!!

Message 2 of 46
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your Discover CLI!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (April 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 3 of 46
Ilinferno
Established Contributor

That's awesome congrats on breaking 50k!

Message 4 of 46
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your new Discover milestone!

Message 5 of 46
Reviewers
Established Contributor

Congratulations on that huge Discover credit limit!

Message 6 of 46
mgood
Valued Contributor

Congratulations!

giphy.gif

As someone who just recently busted through the $10k mark on a couple cards, $50k seems huge!

Starting Score: EQ8 680, TU8 713, EX8 701
Current Score: EQ8 778, TU8 766, EX8 770 as of April 23
Goal Score: EQ8 780, TU8 780, EX8 780

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
AZE4 - 2% Utl - New Accts: 3/6, 4/12, 7/24
Message 7 of 46
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I could be wrong but this feels like unusually high territory for Discover!!  Congratulations @Aim_High on your Approval!! 🎉🥂👏

Message 8 of 46
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Nice & Kapow!

This begs the question- what's the maximum limit then?

Message 9 of 46
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Niiiiiiiice... next stop, $60k!

Message 10 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.