Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP Approved! - First Credit Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CSP Approved! - First Credit Card

I just started my job in industry out of university about 8 months ago. With a series of medical bills on the horizon for health issues that built up during college, I knew it was a good time to get a credit card so that I could earn a bit back for paying the bills off while simultaneously starting to build credit. The only existing accounts I have are from college (I started when I was 18 then went back at 24, so some accounts are 12 years old [deferred]). Knew absolutely nothing about credit cards (how the rewards systems work, the different tiers available, the effort some people have to put in to get approved). Spent a day reading reddit posts, and eventually stumbled upon this forum, as well.

The Chase Sapphire Preferred looked like it would be a good card, as I could meet the $4000 for the 60,000 bonus points immediately. Plus I bank with chase (>10 years), and it seems like it would be convenient to have the account alongside my checking/savings accounts.

I applied for the card, and got the automated "we have received your request for a Chase credit card. We'll let you know our decision as soon as possible." Then I realized that I may have been better off applying at a branch (not knowing if I'd be allowed after having already submitted online). So I scheduled an appointment with a branch for the next day. However, before the day was up, I logged into my Chase account and there was a new "Credit Card" entry. I didn't receive an email notification for the approval. The card was just there. 

I called Chase to have the card expedited (free of charge). Received it the next day. My CK credit score (TU and EF) is 680. Having read that Chase doesn't like giving credit cards to first-timers without a credit history, I am now very surprised by the approval.

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CSP Approved! - First Credit Card - < 600 FICO

Congrats on your approval for a CSP.

Are you sure the credit score given to you by Chase was a FICO score and not Chase's internal CARS score?

Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CSP Approved! - First Credit Card - < 600 FICO

As I said, I'm new to this!

@Anonymous You're absolutely correct. Fixed it in my post

Message 3 of 25
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: CSP Approved! - First Credit Card

Congratulations on your approval!
Message 4 of 25
UH_HUH
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just started my job in industry out of university about 8 months ago. With a series of medical bills on the horizon for health issues that built up during college, I knew it was a good time to get a credit card so that I could earn a bit back for paying the bills off while simultaneously starting to build credit. The only existing accounts I have are from college (I started when I was 18 then went back at 24, so some accounts are 12 years old [deferred]). Knew absolutely nothing about credit cards (how the rewards systems work, the different tiers available, the effort some people have to put in to get approved). Spent a day reading reddit posts, and eventually stumbled upon this forum, as well.

The Chase Sapphire Preferred looked like it would be a good card, as I could meet the $4000 for the 60,000 bonus points immediately. Plus I bank with chase (>10 years), and it seems like it would be convenient to have the account alongside my checking/savings accounts.

I applied for the card, and got the automated "we have received your request for a Chase credit card. We'll let you know our decision as soon as possible." Then I realized that I may have been better off applying at a branch (not knowing if I'd be allowed after having already submitted online). So I scheduled an appointment with a branch for the next day. However, before the day was up, I logged into my Chase account and there was a new "Credit Card" entry. I didn't receive an email notification for the approval. The card was just there. 

I called Chase to have the card expedited (free of charge). Received it the next day. My CK credit score (TU and EF) is 680. Having read that Chase doesn't like giving credit cards to first-timers without a credit history, I am now very surprised by the approval.

Having  a CSP card, as your first ,is to be applauded!

Congratulations on your success with Chase,

Enjoy all those perks :-)

Cheers

Message 5 of 25
CBrow
Regular Contributor

Great first card! And the upgrade/downgrade possibilities are diverse if the card doesn't fit your needs down the road.

Welcome to the club!!

Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats 

Message 7 of 25
MyFault
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your CSP!

|  
Message 8 of 25
coreyb80
Super Contributor

Congrats on the nice approval!!

Message 9 of 25
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Welcome To myFICO Forums and

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.