cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Reserve Approval After Rebuilding!

tag
purr1113
Established Member

Chase Sapphire Reserve Approval After Rebuilding!

Hi All,

This is my first official post. I have been coming to this site for the past couple years, lurking in the shadows and picking up tips. I am recently married (yep, right at the beginning of the pandemic). My husband's credit is STELLAR. Mine was... a good reflection of my life at the time. I have been rebuilding my credit the past two years. I started with a secure CC with NFCU. I appreciate them giving me a second chance but after a few small CLIs, I am at a standstill with my $3,400 CL. They will not budge.

Well, a couple of nights ago, on a whim, I decided to apply to AMEX. I was blacklisted a long time ago. I would come back and use their prequalifier from time to time and would always receive the "NOPE" response. But this time, I received a "NOT NOPE!" I looked through all the cards I was prequalified for and zeroed in on one and BAM! I was APPROVED and in total disbelief. I even gained 8 points on EX, didn't lose any (I didn't know that was possible). I had my husband check to make sure I wasn't seeing things. I wasn't.

The next evening, I thought to myself that one more inquiry wouldn't hurt. My husband and I do need a better travel rewards CC (slight regret with the AMEX Delta Skymiles but this was the most appealing). I set my eyes on the Chase Sapphire Reserve CC. I didn't have inquiries on my EQ and someone had posted on here that when they applied, their EQ was pulled (this wasn't the case for me, Chase pulled my EX). So. I applied. Waited for the screen to load. It took about 30 seconds. After the page refreshed, I blinked a couple times, and then handed my phone to my husband who looked very confused. He asked me what it was, he probably couldn't believe it. I took my phone back and laughed to myself as I thought about my unchanging $3,400 CL with NFCU. "purr1113, YOU'RE APPROVED! Your credit line: $18,000. Want a different credit line?...We look forward to serving you."

Maybe I don't fully understand my credit like I thought I did. I haven't applied for much over the past couple of years (just my secure CC, and refinanced my auto about a week ago) and I didn't have many open accounts. So this is a really nice surprise. I still won't believe it until the cards arrive in the mail.

I just wanted share the happy news and also thank you all for contributing to these forums. It's helped a lot. Smiley Happy

7/1/20 Update - Smiley Happy Hi! I realize more background would be helpful.

DTI is 36%

2 remaining collections (paid off and deleted 5 in the past year),

22 late payments

HPs-

EX 3 (falling off 6/22)

TU 2 (2/21, 1/22)

EQ 1 (6/22)

Income 150k+

Never BK

Lastly, I have been working on rebuilding since Feb '19, so rebuilding for over a year. I have no idea why I kept saying, 2 years. Quarentine has affected my sense of time. 

In My Wallet

Misc.

Retired

Future Goal Card(s)

As of 8/26/23 (FICO)

As of 10/4/22 (FICO & FAKO)

As of 7/17/21 (FICO & FAKO)

As of 8/31/20 (FICO)

As of 6/29/19 (FAKO)

As of 7/6/21

Inquiries w/in last 24 months
6.16.22 | 6.8.22 | 10.31.22 | 7.14.23 | 10.9.22 | 6.1.22 | 8.26.23 |
6.8.22 | 10.4.22 | 6.16.22 | 7.13.23 | 6.16.22 | 6.16.22 |
7.14.23 | 6.16.22 | 6.8.22 |

Total Late Payments: 16 (March '17 - June '18)
AMEX Blacklist: 2006-2020
Income: $150k+
Never BK/BR
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Drwaz99
Established Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve Approval After Rebuilding!

Nice work! Congrats and welcome to the forums! 

Message 2 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@purr1113  Welcome to the forum!!! Super Congrats on your CSR $18,000 approval!!! Smiley Very Happy

From $3,400 with Navy Fed to $18,000 with Chase is quite the leap, isn't it.??!!

Given your situation, I'd be doing a double take on my phone just like you did. 

Very well done! You have a lot to be proud of!!! Smiley Very Happy

Congrats once again on your success. Thanks so much for sharing!!! Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

BOOM! CONGRATS on the great approvals!  The CSR is a FANTASTIC card (I miss mine... :-( )

Welcome to the forums, too!

Now - you *might* want to garden for a while - tend these credit limits, use them, and be careful for a few months.  Chase is twitchy, and will do an account review in a few months.  If they see a bunch of credit seeking behavior, they *CAN* and often * WILL* CLD or close your account.  Happened to me last year, and I still miss my CSR.  

Congrats again - that's a great SL on a GREAT card...

Message 4 of 26
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

A great card to have in the arsenal, congrats on the good SL too Smiley Happy

Welcome to the board !

Message 5 of 26
MyFault
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the approvals and rebuild!

|  
Message 6 of 26
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approvals! Very nice starting limit!
Message 7 of 26
purr1113
Established Member

Thank you so much and thanks for the heads up about CSR Smiley Surprised Will definitely stick to gardening for a while. So sorry they did that to you. Arg! Hope you can get it back!

@Anonymous wrote:

BOOM! CONGRATS on the great approvals!  The CSR is a FANTASTIC card (I miss mine... :-( )

Welcome to the forums, too!

Now - you *might* want to garden for a while - tend these credit limits, use them, and be careful for a few months.  Chase is twitchy, and will do an account review in a few months.  If they see a bunch of credit seeking behavior, they *CAN* and often * WILL* CLD or close your account.  Happened to me last year, and I still miss my CSR.  

Congrats again - that's a great SL on a GREAT card...

In My Wallet

Misc.

Retired

Future Goal Card(s)

As of 8/26/23 (FICO)

As of 10/4/22 (FICO & FAKO)

As of 7/17/21 (FICO & FAKO)

As of 8/31/20 (FICO)

As of 6/29/19 (FAKO)

As of 7/6/21

Inquiries w/in last 24 months
6.16.22 | 6.8.22 | 10.31.22 | 7.14.23 | 10.9.22 | 6.1.22 | 8.26.23 |
6.8.22 | 10.4.22 | 6.16.22 | 7.13.23 | 6.16.22 | 6.16.22 |
7.14.23 | 6.16.22 | 6.8.22 |

Total Late Payments: 16 (March '17 - June '18)
AMEX Blacklist: 2006-2020
Income: $150k+
Never BK/BR
Message 8 of 26
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Message 9 of 26
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your Chase Sapphire Reserve approval and nice SL! Congratulations on your rebuild success!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.