cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Reserve Approval After Rebuilding!

Highlighted

Chase Sapphire Reserve Approval After Rebuilding!

Hi All,

This is my first official post. I have been coming to this site for the past couple years, lurking in the shadows and picking up tips. I am recently married (yep, right at the beginning of the pandemic). My husband's credit is STELLAR. Mine was... a good reflection of my life at the time. I have been rebuilding my credit the past two years. I started with a secure CC with NFCU. I appreciate them giving me a second chance but after a few small CLIs, I am at a standstill with my $3,400 CL. They will not budge.

Well, a couple of nights ago, on a whim, I decided to apply to AMEX. I was blacklisted a long time ago. I would come back and use their prequalifier from time to time and would always receive the "NOPE" response. But this time, I received a "NOT NOPE!" I looked through all the cards I was prequalified for and zeroed in on one and BAM! I was APPROVED and in total disbelief. I even gained 8 points on EX, didn't lose any (I didn't know that was possible). I had my husband check to make sure I wasn't seeing things. I wasn't.

The next evening, I thought to myself that one more inquiry wouldn't hurt. My husband and I do need a better travel rewards CC (slight regret with the AMEX Delta Skymiles but this was the most appealing). I set my eyes on the Chase Sapphire Reserve CC. I didn't have inquiries on my EQ and someone had posted on here that when they applied, their EQ was pulled (this wasn't the case for me, Chase pulled my EX). So. I applied. Waited for the screen to load. It took about 30 seconds. After the page refreshed, I blinked a couple times, and then handed my phone to my husband who looked very confused. He asked me what it was, he probably couldn't believe it. I took my phone back and laughed to myself as I thought about my unchanging $3,400 CL with NFCU. "purr1113, YOU'RE APPROVED! Your credit line: $18,000. Want a different credit line?...We look forward to serving you."

Maybe I don't fully understand my credit like I thought I did. I haven't applied for much over the past couple of years (just my secure CC, and refinanced my auto about a week ago) and I didn't have many open accounts. So this is a really nice surprise. I still won't believe it until the cards arrive in the mail.

I just wanted share the happy news and also thank you all for contributing to these forums. It's helped a lot. Smiley Happy

7/1/20 Update - Smiley Happy Hi! I realize more background would be helpful.

DTI is 36%

2 remaining collections (paid off and deleted 5 in the past year),

22 late payments

HPs-

EX 3 (falling off 6/22)

TU 2 (2/21, 1/22)

EQ 1 (6/22)

Income 150k+

Never BK

Lastly, I have been working on rebuilding since Feb '19, so rebuilding for over a year. I have no idea why I kept saying, 2 years. Quarentine has affected my sense of time. 

As of 6/29/19

As of 6/29/20

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve Approval After Rebuilding!

Nice work! Congrats and welcome to the forums! 

Chase Sapphire Reserve 18.5k
Chase Freedom Unlimited 11.7k
American Express Bonvoy Brilliant 22.5k
Barclays Aviator Red 4k
Citi Double Cash 12k
Amazon Store Card 10k

Fico 8s as of 06/01/2020:

Message 2 of 26
Highlighted
Established Contributor

@purr1113  Welcome to the forum!!! Super Congrats on your CSR $18,000 approval!!! Smiley Very Happy

From $3,400 with Navy Fed to $18,000 with Chase is quite the leap, isn't it.??!!

Given your situation, I'd be doing a double take on my phone just like you did. 

Very well done! You have a lot to be proud of!!! Smiley Very Happy

Congrats once again on your success. Thanks so much for sharing!!! Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 26
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

BOOM! CONGRATS on the great approvals!  The CSR is a FANTASTIC card (I miss mine... :-( )

Welcome to the forums, too!

Now - you *might* want to garden for a while - tend these credit limits, use them, and be careful for a few months.  Chase is twitchy, and will do an account review in a few months.  If they see a bunch of credit seeking behavior, they *CAN* and often * WILL* CLD or close your account.  Happened to me last year, and I still miss my CSR.  

Congrats again - that's a great SL on a GREAT card...

RECORD HOLDER
& KEEPER OF
THE GOLDEN SWORD!

golden_sword.png

EQ FICO RESILIENCE INDEX
06-29-2020

Dogbert

04-03-2020

Message 4 of 26
Highlighted

A great card to have in the arsenal, congrats on the good SL too Smiley Happy

Welcome to the board !

"If there's a lack of money in your life, understand that feeling worried, envious, jealous, disappointed, discouraged, doubtful or fearful about money can never bring more money to you, because those feelings come from a lack of gratitude for the money you have."

"Reactions are powerful creators because they contain every element needed to manifest—they're a combination of thought, belief, and feeling in action. Positive reactions create more positive things, and negative reactions create more negative things. If you can respond to negative situations calmly and lightly, instead of with emotional turbulence, what happens next in your life will be so much better."

- Rhonda Byrne

Message 5 of 26
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Congrats on the approvals and rebuild!

|  
Message 6 of 26
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your approvals! Very nice starting limit!
Message 7 of 26
Highlighted

Thank you so much and thanks for the heads up about CSR Smiley Surprised Will definitely stick to gardening for a while. So sorry they did that to you. Arg! Hope you can get it back!

@Dogbert wrote:

BOOM! CONGRATS on the great approvals!  The CSR is a FANTASTIC card (I miss mine... :-( )

Welcome to the forums, too!

Now - you *might* want to garden for a while - tend these credit limits, use them, and be careful for a few months.  Chase is twitchy, and will do an account review in a few months.  If they see a bunch of credit seeking behavior, they *CAN* and often * WILL* CLD or close your account.  Happened to me last year, and I still miss my CSR.  

Congrats again - that's a great SL on a GREAT card...

As of 6/29/19

As of 6/29/20

Message 8 of 26
Highlighted
Mega Contributor

"It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?"
Message 9 of 26
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Congratulations on your Chase Sapphire Reserve approval and nice SL! Congratulations on your rebuild success!

Current FICO 8:

Credit Age (TU):

Inquiries:

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.