cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Reserve approval

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve approval and limit question.

@ALK11 wrote:

To those of you saying the card is metal, you're wrong.

To those of you saying the card isn't metal, you're wrong. 

If you can't tell I'm a glass half empty king of guy. Anyway, the CSR and CSP are metal sandwiched between pieces of plastic. So they are both metal and plastic. Not as heavy, strong, and durible as a full metal card like the Ritz-Carlton card. But it certainly isn't as flimsy as a pure plastic card. 

its a laminate and its garbage, I am on my 3rd csr in a year.  machines at parking lots chew them up like candy

Message 11 of 29

Gotcha! Yeah I have amex platinum card, I guess from all the reading I figured it was going to be inline with that type of material. Guess not.

Thanks for the info!
Message 12 of 29

@bourgogne wrote:

hum hold on for a second there hoss, don't close a chase account with age on it.  pc one into a freedom and the other to a unlimited & hello chase trifeeca.  having these 3 cards is the entire point behind being with them imo

Ok, so to touch on this.  Let me pick your brain for a second.  Ok well before the CSR, when I was in my chase account and when I would click on details for my slate cards, they would pop up "offer selected for you" and a few choices were in there.  Takes me to the offer screen and I had to punch in my income I belive and submit.  Would that have been considered a product change? Also, would that have been hard inquiry to do that?

Now that I have CSR, I cant seem to get those "selected for you" offers to pop up anymore, so if I wanted to do a PC what number would I call?

Thanks!

Message 13 of 29
Valued Contributor

@SmurfOnABoat wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

hum hold on for a second there hoss, don't close a chase account with age on it.  pc one into a freedom and the other to a unlimited & hello chase trifeeca.  having these 3 cards is the entire point behind being with them imo

Ok, so to touch on this.  Let me pick your brain for a second.  Ok well before the CSR, when I was in my chase account and when I would click on details for my slate cards, they would pop up "offer selected for you" and a few choices were in there.  Takes me to the offer screen and I had to punch in my income I belive and submit.  Would that have been considered a product change? Also, would that have been hard inquiry to do that?

Now that I have CSR, I cant seem to get those "selected for you" offers to pop up anymore, so if I wanted to do a PC what number would I call?

Thanks!

you usually will not get an offer or in-branch for 6 months after an app.  it you took an offer it was a new application.  if you want to pc call the # on the back of the csr

Message 14 of 29

Probably take your advice and swap out the slates for a Freedom and unlimited.

Message 15 of 29
Super Contributor

@iced wrote:

@BrutalBodyShots wrote:

@Adkins wrote:

1.5 UR points per dollar spent on the Unlimited. You'd use the Unlimited instead of the Freedom if you're purchasing something that isn't in the Freedoms 5% category (1.5% is better than 1%) This way you can maximize points no matter what you buy. 

I understand that, but isn't 1.5 UR points less of a value than getting 2% CB on another card?  That's the part I'm not understanding.  I've heard people say that with UR and using the trifecta the FU is a great card to have.  Perhaps if the UR are redeemed for travel or something where the value can exceed 1.5% back compared to a 2% card?

You sort of answered your own question. For those who know how to use UR, no way CB compares to them. I get 6-9 cents per UR point, so that's comparing 2% CB versus 9-15% CB to me. I'll take the 1.5 UR, thank you.

For those who don't travel much and/or know how to use the reward system to their benefit, stick with CB. 

Can you give us an example of how one would get 6-9 cents for 1 UR point?

Total revolving limits 639500 (558000 reporting)
Message 16 of 29
Super Contributor

@SmurfOnABoat wrote:

Well.  Pulled the trigger on the card.  Approved instantly.

CL - $34k

Rate - 17.24%

Congratulations. Enjoy it.

Total revolving limits 639500 (558000 reporting)
Message 17 of 29
Valued Contributor

@ALK11 wrote:

If you can't tell I'm a glass half empty king of guy. Anyway, the CSR and CSP are metal sandwiched between pieces of plastic. So they are both metal and plastic. Not as heavy, strong, and durible as a full metal card like the Ritz-Carlton card. But it certainly isn't as flimsy as a pure plastic card. 

Yes, the core of the card is metal. 

While Chase's metal cards are nothing to ride home about, Citi (a.k.a cut corners bank) has the worst of the metal cards. 

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/11/what-metal-credit-cards-strongest/

If you have a contactless AMEX Platinum, the back of the card is transparent plastic and the front is metal. 

USAA Limitless
NavyFed AMEX
AMEX Blue Business Preferred

DiscoverIT 5%
Empower FCU Platinum
Message 18 of 29
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Can you give us an example of how one would get 6-9 cents for 1 UR point?

The open secret is to do three things:

1. Use airline transfer partners rather than using UR directly on the portal.

2. Book premium cabin international.

3. Book multicity trips.

Some airlines allow you to book all segments in one "direction" as a single reward fare, which is how I am able to make it to the 6-9cpm range. The last two reward bookings I did matched all 3 of the above criteria:

1. In 2016, we booked a RTW itinerary in business that included stops in Europe, Hong Kong, China, South Korea, and California. Once I found saver fares for each leg, it would all code together as a single business international flight to China. Note that the layovers at each city were days in length. I haven't pushed this beyond 4 days in a single place as I usually find 4 days sufficient to explore a city and see things, but I imagine it's not much different to spend a week in each place if desired. In this example, a total of 6 flights were taken, all in first/business, and 3 of those six were international long-haul (longer than 8 hours) and one leg was a t-con in first. This priced out with cash to just over $11,000 or 160,000 miles per person, for ~6.9 cpm. Easy decision - I went miles (320,000 miles for just over $22,000 in airfare).

2. I just booked a trip to Europe, but again a premium cabin, multi-city, multi-week journey that includes stops in 4 cities in 4 countries. All business or first class again. Even though this one only has 2 TATL legs out of the 6 flights and is shorter, it still priced out to just over $10,500 per person or 140,000 miles/UR points, possibly due to the season (leaving tonight to start this one). This works out to ~7.5 cpm. Another no brainer - 280,000 miles for $21,000 in airfare.

I have booked trips in the past that approached 9 cpm with airline miles that Chase is a partner with, so transferring to those would effectively make UR worth the same. With how some of the programs have changed, some of those bookings may be more difficult to do now (I'm not sure you can do RTW award bookings via United anymore, for example), and you have to look across multiple airlines to figure out which UR partner has the better pricing depending on destination.

Message 19 of 29

So...

Another question for you folks who were like me and in the later batch of new card holders.  Did chase do away with the nice welcome box as well?  I recieved the card today in a UPS envelope but no nice welcome package like others have received.  Was kinda looking forward to it, but not a big deal.

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.