Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit cards with BCU credit union

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit cards with BCU credit union

Hello everybody . Wanted to thank all the members who are contributing on this forum . I’ve learned so much things here I didn’t even know. So my story is pretty simple . 8 years in the country Smiley Wink after 2016 I’m happy Smiley Wink Anyway in 2014 filled bankruptcy . Only burned 2 car loans . So never had a credit card. Discharged 2015.chapter 7. This year in February I started thinking about getting credit cards. The report on credit karma showed like 580 score , I know it might be far off the real one.. wouldn’t be good anyway ... So I’m february I applied for the capital one quicksilver . Received 300$ unsecured. Then I connected my wife who was 5 months in the country as an authorized user. She was at first declined for personal card . Then she got it too. In spring I applied for capital one platinum . Received another 300. Quicksilver went up too 500$. Then dicks sporting goods700$. Tj max store card 500. Victoria secret 300.credit one 600$ ( this **bleep** card will be in garbage soon). Fingergut 800$. Never used the last one . So I released I was stuck . Discover won’t pre approve even on secured ones . Citi bank ,can forget about it. Chase too. My score is 600 across the boards. Do with these 5-6 cards I was at the limit . No other decent cards with my score available . So I applied to Baxter credit union . Fantastic experience . I put little money on the saving account with them ... and asked for a credit card in a week. They have fantastic customer service and really try to help out. I received email approved for 2200$ credit card ! I was so happy . My income is 30k. Started rebuilding 10 months ago. First credit card in my life 10 months ago. I was hoping for a higher limit credit card to keep utilization down and use it , 1000$ would do it. These guys have me 2200$. Thank you for all of your advices on here guys. Sorry for long story , I’m terrible at essays
9 REPLIES 9
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Credit cards with BCU credit union

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your approval!  It sounds like you've done quite a lot in the past 10 months and have set yourself up for a successful credit journey.  At this point, your best bet would be to use all of your cards every 3-6 months for small purchases and pay them off each month just to show activity to keep the cards open.  If your credit union card has rewards, use that for your expenses, keep it under $635 when the statement closes each month and pay it off every month. If not, adapt that to one of your Capital One cards, keeping the balance below 29% of your credit line each month when the statement closes (mid-month payments are fine to make this happen).  Ask Capital One for credit line increases every 6 months, and don't apply for anything for quite a while.  You'll see those scores go up in no time and then you can examine what long-term cards work best for your spending and the type of rewards you want, and then close the cards that may no longer be of use to you.

You said you were rebuilding, so if there's any negative information still on your reports by all means check out the rebuilding subforum for ways to possibly get those off your reports.

Message 2 of 10
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the MyFICO forums and congratulations on your progress!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on all your approvals !!!very well done on your progress

Message 4 of 10
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

Well done on the rebuild and congrats on the card, good luck for the future.

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 5 of 10
pmanock
New Visitor

Hi and congratulations
I have a question and suggestion.

1st on the BCU credit card did they make. U do any income verification when u applied to get approved or no?and what was ur internal "savy saver" credit score when u applied (I have bcu also)

And my suggestion is also like others said use and pay off. Ur cards BEFORE ur statement generates (that's what matters because that's when the CBs are updated wihh balances) and. Also u should. Check. Out Nfcu. And get their secured credit card. It graduates in 6mo ths with on time payments and they are generous with CLI after that with good use
you. Just need to find. Someone in it to. Sponser u..

Thanks in. Advance. For any. Info on the bcu cc
Message 6 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Awesome jobSmiley Happy. Nice progress. Credit Unions can be big helps glad you found one that works for youSmiley Happy
Message 7 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

On a side note a Navy Fed member just cant sponser just anyone. Please make dure ti read the requirements set forth by Navy FedSmiley Happy
Message 8 of 10
vikash1986
New Contributor

Welcome to the MyFICO forums and congratulations on your progress. You can keep track of your real Myfico scores on here to keep track of your progress.
Message 9 of 10
Flex1
Regular Contributor

Welcome and congrats on your progress! Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.