cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Card Reallocation/Combination SUCCESS!!!

tag
dbjohnson039
New Contributor

Discover Card Reallocation/Combination SUCCESS!!!

Hooray!  FINALLY!

I was eligible for a CLI on one of my Discover IT cards and I called in to have the limits combined.  After being transferred a couple of times with an eye roll or two on my end, I finally ended up in the Credit Operations Department - and trust me I wrote this down for the future!  The rep used the word reallocation (which was probably the word I should have been using the entire time but I digress) and away we went.

I had a Discover IT card from 2017 @ 21.99% and one from 2019 @ 11.99% (Just realized this yesterday believe it or not).  The one from 2019 was indeed the one that was eligible for a CLI -- so nevermind the age of the accounts - I was able to take advantage of a $500 increase and reallocate the limit from the 2017 card to the 2019 card.....and voila....I now have one Discover account with a limit of $6,100 @ 11.99% APR.  I don't think I can really complain.  I am personally very happy with this result.  Just wanted to share!

Thanks to everyone for the advice on combining Discover Limits - I just joined here not too long ago and am already making moves that I think will definitely help in the long run and it's all because of the great community that is here! Smiley Happy

Ch 7 BK Filed: Apr 2015 | Completed: Aug 2015

FICO Score 8/9 as of 01/17/2022:

Current/Open Credit Lines:
NFCU Flagship Signature VISA $30,000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25,000 | NFCU Platinum VISA $25,000 | Macy’s Star Rewards AMEX $24,000 | Apple Card (Goldman Sachs MC) $5,750 | Wells Fargo Active Cash VISA $13,200 | Discover IT 9,100 | Barclays View MC $13,500 | mLife Rewards MC $13,500 | Chase Amazon Visa $1,500
Synchrony Accounts: Amazon Store Card $10,000 | CareCredit $18,000 | PayPal Credit $10,000 | Discount Tire Card $5,000
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Discover Card Reallocation/Combination SUCCESS!!!

Grats on the CLI and combination success Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 17
Ilinferno
Established Contributor

Nice! Congrats on your CLI and reallocation!

Message 3 of 17
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Well done!  Congratulations 🥂🎉👏🏻

Message 4 of 17
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your Discover CLI and limit combination!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (April 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 5 of 17
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congrats on your Disco Combo and CLI👍

Message 6 of 17
greatscott85
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations! This is very interesting. Had been contemplating a Disco card but haven't pulled the trigger, good to know! 

Message 7 of 17
Rebuild2019
Valued Contributor

Congrats 🎊🎈🎉 on your Disco Combo and CLI.

CARDS: Discover It | Kohl’s | Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards | Truist Bright | CITI Custom Cash | Chase Freedom Flex | Chase Amazon Prime Visa | VACU Cash Rewards Mastercard | Sam’s Club Mastercard | PenFed Gold Visa | NFCU CashRewards | NFCU More Rewards | NFCU Platinum Visa | AMEX BCE | Verizon Visa | Wells Fargo Active Cash | Amazon Prime | NFCU Auto Loan
Starting Scores 05/2019: EQ:519, EX:525, TU:574

CLOSED : Capital One Quicksilver One | OpenSky |
Message 8 of 17
dbjohnson039
New Contributor

@greatscott85 - It's been quite a journey to get to this point!  I only got the second Discover IT card with the intention to combine the limits down the line but it took much longer than I expected.  One thing I can tell you - never attempt to do it by chat. They will tell you that it cannot be done. SMH - not sure why they can't just direct you to call the 1-800 number rather than just straight out lying but that's what you will come up against.  Initially I was speaking to a rep who attempted the CLI but once I told her I wanted to combine/reallocate funds, she said "Ok let me see".......then suddenly I was on hold...come to find out she had transferred me to the Disputes department!  The gentleman I spoke with there did put me on hold but successfully reached out and connected me to the right department - which was Credit Operations. She knew exactly what I wanted to do and admitted that it's not done often but it is possible to reallocate funds and close one account. After some holding (totally understable do she can do her job)....she made it happen and advised it would take around 24 hours for the system to update and display correctly. I confirmed my credit line and APR with her and am pleased at the result. If you do some searching around, you'll see there are some internal rules to the Discover combination (one card has to be eligible for a CLI....the accounts have to be more than a year old....etc etc)...but I have had these cards since 2017 and 2019, so the age of the accounts weren't a factor for me.  Hopefully if someone else is considering this, they will feel compelled to take a leap and be successful as well.

Ch 7 BK Filed: Apr 2015 | Completed: Aug 2015

FICO Score 8/9 as of 01/17/2022:

Current/Open Credit Lines:
NFCU Flagship Signature VISA $30,000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25,000 | NFCU Platinum VISA $25,000 | Macy’s Star Rewards AMEX $24,000 | Apple Card (Goldman Sachs MC) $5,750 | Wells Fargo Active Cash VISA $13,200 | Discover IT 9,100 | Barclays View MC $13,500 | mLife Rewards MC $13,500 | Chase Amazon Visa $1,500
Synchrony Accounts: Amazon Store Card $10,000 | CareCredit $18,000 | PayPal Credit $10,000 | Discount Tire Card $5,000
Message 9 of 17
jasonbourne84
Frequent Contributor

@dbjohnson039 Congrats! And I am SO glad you mentioned this. On the phone with them right now trying to do the same. Thank you!

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.