Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fastest CLI ever

tag
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

Fastest CLI ever

Just had a strange thing happen with a new card. DW apped for Chase Amazon Prime online a week or so back. Her scores are around 800 and she has two other Chase cards with CLs around $3k. She got instant approval for a $5k SL and the lowest published APR. Hooray! 

When the physical card arrived in the mail, the docs that accompanied it revealed that the CL is now over $8,000. She got a 60% CLI in less than a week, without using the card and without asking! I didn't know that was possible and I'm trying to understand how and why it happened.

Potentially relevant facts: She spends north of $5k per year on Amazon. Could that have triggered some kind of CL review after the instant approval? The income she reported on the app was our combined income, so maybe there's an extra level of review for certain income levels? She recently got a CLI on her highest limit card, and I'm not sure how visible those before-and-after numbers were to Chase at app time. Does Chase try to put this card's SL at 40-50% of the cardholder's highest CL?

Has anyone else experienced this? Any theories on what happened? It's great and I'm not complaining at all. Just surprised and curious (see screen name).

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Fastest CLI ever

Strange indeed but hey.... enjoy it! Congratulations

Message 2 of 24
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on DW CLI!

Message 3 of 24
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Congrats to DW !

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 4 of 24
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Congrats to DW. One of my most invaluable cards. Enjoy!! 📦 

Message 5 of 24
ZackAttack
Established Contributor

That is not an error nor a fast CLI. This I have read a couple of months back that this is how Chase does it. For instant approval, if it is $5k or higher, the system will just say $5k most likely for security issues. When you do the card in the mail, that is when you will know your true CL.

MSGCU Rewards | $8kDiscover Cash It | $10kAmex BCP | $15kBest Buy Visa | $20kChase Freedom Flex | $8kDCU Platinum | $8kNFCU Plat | $35kNFCU cashRewards | $24kAffinity FCU Cash Rewards | $7kAmazon Prime | 12.5kChase Unlimited | 16.4kUSAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex | 10kAmex Business Cash | 10k

Loans
Ford Credit Car Loan 2-year 6/22/2023 ($299/month)
Closed
Michigan Schools & Gov't CU Titanium 1/4/2019 - 10/2/2020
Ford Credit Car Loan 3-year 7/31/2018-6/6/2021
$1,500 Discover Card 10/2/2020 - 8/18/2021
$3,500 Citi DC 10/14/2020 - 12/11/2021
$8,000 DCU Personal Loan 5-year 5.99% 10/2/2020 - 4/30/2021
$8,000 NFCU CashRewards 1/2/2021 - 7/30/2022
$5,000 MSGCU Personal Loan 3-year 7.75% 4/22/2022 - 10/30/2022
Ford Credit Car Loan 2-year 6/7/2021 - 6/22/2023
Message 6 of 24
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

@ZackAttack wrote:

That is not an error nor a fast CLI. This I have read a couple of months back that this is how Chase does it. For instant approval, if it is $5k or higher, the system will just say $5k most likely for security issues. When you do the card in the mail, that is when you will know your true CL.

Interesting. I had no idea. Thanks!

Not challenging you, just curious: What security issues does this address? Do you mean they are worried about someone using a stolen identity to app for the card and then use it like crazy right away on Amazon, so they impose a $5k limit until the physical card is received and confirmed by the bona fide cardholder? 

Message 7 of 24
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Curious_George2 wrote:

@ZackAttack wrote:

Not challenging you, just curious: What security issues does this address? Do you mean they are worried about someone using a stolen identity to app for the card and then use it like crazy right away on Amazon, so they impose a $5k limit until the physical card is received and confirmed by the bona fide cardholder? 

Fraud. You have the ability to spend, but the full amount won't be available until you activate. Synchrony does this as well.

Message 8 of 24
ZackAttack
Established Contributor

@Curious_George2 wrote:

@ZackAttack wrote:

identity theft is the biggest.

someone could of misplaced digits when applying if they don't catch right away so it doesn't ruin people's hope of a cl. Also do keep in mind that it is a Chase card so Chase can choose their way of doing stuff.

MSGCU Rewards | $8kDiscover Cash It | $10kAmex BCP | $15kBest Buy Visa | $20kChase Freedom Flex | $8kDCU Platinum | $8kNFCU Plat | $35kNFCU cashRewards | $24kAffinity FCU Cash Rewards | $7kAmazon Prime | 12.5kChase Unlimited | 16.4kUSAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex | 10kAmex Business Cash | 10k

Loans
Ford Credit Car Loan 2-year 6/22/2023 ($299/month)
Closed
Michigan Schools & Gov't CU Titanium 1/4/2019 - 10/2/2020
Ford Credit Car Loan 3-year 7/31/2018-6/6/2021
$1,500 Discover Card 10/2/2020 - 8/18/2021
$3,500 Citi DC 10/14/2020 - 12/11/2021
$8,000 DCU Personal Loan 5-year 5.99% 10/2/2020 - 4/30/2021
$8,000 NFCU CashRewards 1/2/2021 - 7/30/2022
$5,000 MSGCU Personal Loan 3-year 7.75% 4/22/2022 - 10/30/2022
Ford Credit Car Loan 2-year 6/7/2021 - 6/22/2023
Message 9 of 24
newfossil
Valued Contributor

@Curious_George2 wrote:

Just had a strange thing happen with a new card. DW apped for Chase Amazon Prime online a week or so back. Her scores are around 800 and she has two other Chase cards with CLs around $3k. She got instant approval for a $5k SL and the lowest published APR. Hooray! 

When the physical card arrived in the mail, the docs that accompanied it revealed that the CL is now over $8,000. She got a 60% CLI in less than a week, without using the card and without asking! I didn't know that was possible and I'm trying to understand how and why it happened.

Potentially relevant facts: She spends north of $5k per year on Amazon. Could that have triggered some kind of CL review after the instant approval? The income she reported on the app was our combined income, so maybe there's an extra level of review for certain income levels? She recently got a CLI on her highest limit card, and I'm not sure how visible those before-and-after numbers were to Chase at app time. Does Chase try to put this card's SL at 40-50% of the cardholder's highest CL?

Has anyone else experienced this? Any theories on what happened? It's great and I'm not complaining at all. Just surprised and curious (see screen name).

Nice! Congratulations!

Starting score - May 2018

April 2021

AAoA - 1 year 6 months
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.