Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First AMEX Card!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First AMEX Card!

So I was convinced I was in the garden for at least 6 months after opening both the CSP and the CFU back to back last month. And having 10 inquiries on my report the last 12 months 🤦🏻‍♀️ (home refi, new CCs and a personal loan ugh).

But then... This lovely 100k points pre-approval dropped into my mailbox for the AMEX Hilton Honors card. No annual fee and only have to spend $1k in 3 months. Sounded good to me! I set it aside for my apply later list. (Ive never had an AMEX account and figured it would be a good one to start with.) Once my hubs and I started talking about it tho I couldn't resist the temptation lol!

I used the RSVP code on the mailer and was approved right away online. However...I was rather disappointed that they only gave me a $1k SL. Especially considering Chase just gave me a $9.7k SL a few weeks ago. I think I was actually offended by AMEX for that 😂. My hubs thinks it's cuz I have had no accounts with them but I think it's cuz I have so many inquiries and recent credit lines opened. Either way...I've joined the AMEX family. And we're road trip junkies so let's see what we can do with all those HH points. 😁
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: First AMEX Card!

Congrats on your new card! 

Message 2 of 21
Marz2002
Senior Contributor

YOU...

Awesome Congratulations GIF by Slanted Studios

CONGRATS  on your AMEX Hilton Honors approval and Welcome to the AMEX family!!! 

BTW, my 1st AMEX approval was $1,000 for the BCE card and 6 months later, I was approved for the AMEX Cash Magnet with a $15,000 SL!

AMEX BCP $8K | AMEX Cash Magnet $15K | Citi DoubleCash WEMC $15.2K | Citi Rewards WMC $15.5K | Citi Costco VS $12K
Citi Custom Cash WEMC $7.8K | Synchrony (PayPal Credit $6K, Care Credit $15K, & PayPal 2% MC $10K, VENMO VS $6.5K)
PNC Cash Rewards VS $10.5K | NFCU cashRewards VS $14K | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $37.5K | NFCU Flagship Rewards VS $23K
Discover IT $22.5K | BB&T Cash Rewards $4.5K | Macy's AMEX $25K | Bloomingdales AMEX $20K | Apple Card WEMC $9K
PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS $7.5K

Total CL - $284K+
Message 3 of 21
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

I agree with your Hubbs?!    I found out a lot of people that have had no connection with them before tend to start out at 1k and may even get their first few requests to CLI denied but I have also been told once they do they are super generous so I am just waiting for that time to come for me as well Smiley Very Happy     Congrats and Welcome!

Message 4 of 21
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congrats on your approvalSmiley Happy

I just paid for My daughter's honeymoon  with Hilton points .. See the source image

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats and welcome to the family. Amex is great if you treat them right and the points come fast. Got my first HH card 10-1/2 months ago, I’ve used 8 nights’ worth of points stays, and still have 130k points sitting there waiting. I love it and I’m betting you will too Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approval!!! Welcome to the Amex Fam!!!!

Message 7 of 21
rgate88
Regular Contributor

I started with $2k on my AmEx ED card in May. After 61 days I was approved for a CLI up to $5k. Remember the 3x rule and use it wisely. Welcome to AmEx family!

CO Platinum - $500; CO Quicksilver - $2,000; Marcus GM BuyPower - $700; Target MC - $9,000; Chase Amazon Prime - $17,300; PNC Core - $27,000; Citi DoubleCash - $8,300 - AmEx Everyday - $2,500 (was $20,000); Citi Simplicity - $29,500; Chase World of Hyatt - $17,300; PayPal LOC - $10,000; PNC Cash Rewards - $36,000; U.S. Bank Altitude Go - $15,000; AmEx Platinum - NPSL ($7,800 POT); Elan Max Cash (Alliance CU) - $25,000; Alliance CU LOC - $2,000; BMO Harris Cash Back (Was Bank of the West Cash Back) - $3,000; (Closed Block-Fi - $15,000 RIP); Wells Fargo Autograph Visa - $10,000; Chase Freedom Flex - $20,300; Venmo - $15,000; AllTru LOC - $10,000

Business Trade Lines - Chase Ink Cash - $4,000 (original limit $19,600); Chase Ink Preferred - $10,000; AmEx BBP - $5,500; Hilton Honors Business - $5,000; FNBO Evergreen Business - $15,000; Elan Business Visa (Alliance CU) - $20,000; Citi Business AAdvantage Platinum Select - $16,000; Marcus GM Business - $2,500; Kabbage LOC - $9,500; Marriott Bonvoy Business - $14,600; Barclays AAdvantage Aviator WE Business - $7,000; IHG Rewards Premier Business - $5,000; Delta Platinum Business - $16,400; Edward Jones Business (Elan) - $2,000; Barclays Wyndham Earner Business - $7,000

Total CLI - $399,900
Message 8 of 21
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!!!  Your scores look great -- so, keep up the good work! 

BTW, I love AMEX since they've been good to me since 2006 (pre-post the Great Recession).  Also, they offer great products along with exceptional customer service.  In time, your limits should increase. Patience is your friend (I should take my own advice). Smiley Wink

@Anonymous wrote:
So I was convinced I was in the garden for at least 6 months after opening both the CSP and the CFU back to back last month. And having 10 inquiries on my report the last 12 months 🤦🏻‍♀️ (home refi, new CCs and a personal loan ugh).

But then... This lovely 100k points pre-approval dropped into my mailbox for the AMEX Hilton Honors card. No annual fee and only have to spend $1k in 3 months. Sounded good to me! I set it aside for my apply later list. (Ive never had an AMEX account and figured it would be a good one to start with.) Once my hubs and I started talking about it tho I couldn't resist the temptation lol!

I used the RSVP code on the mailer and was approved right away online. However...I was rather disappointed that they only gave me a $1k SL. Especially considering Chase just gave me a $9.7k SL a few weeks ago. I think I was actually offended by AMEX for that 😂. My hubs thinks it's cuz I have had no accounts with them but I think it's cuz I have so many inquiries and recent credit lines opened. Either way...I've joined the AMEX family. And we're road trip junkies so let's see what we can do with all those HH points. 😁

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.