cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First CC Approved!! What in the world!??!?

tag
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Re: First CC Approved!! What in the world!??!?

Give the Discover a try!

You really have nothing to lose at this point. You get approved, you go to the garden. You get denied, you go to the garden.

If you received the approval letter you probably have really good odds on being approved.

You can do it!

Good luck!

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 31 of 101
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Sitori wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

I have around 14 inqs on each of my reports, that is why I'm in the garden Smiley Very Happy 

If the only cards you have are FP and (now) cap1, they won't do AA on you for inqs. They're the least likely of all lenders to do that, so if there is another account you want I would just shoot for it now and hit the garden. Might as well try that discover letter Smiley Very Happy 

Also, I wouldn't app walmart if you don't shop there, the TU score is great and I love it (I sit here waiting for the score thread every month so I know my score is up) but if you aren't gonna use the card there isn't any point in apping for it. 

bahaha...um yes....that is exactly what I will be doing.  I think I will apply. Atleast it'll save me from spending a ton of money on groceries at publix...lol 

I would apply in store, or when you're planning on making a $100+ purchase online...

If you get approved, during a purchase of $100+ you get $20 off your purchase. Has to be day of approval, and if you get approved online, it will automatically add the card to your payment options in your walmart account, so you can do it online too. 

Message 32 of 101
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Capital one start to change i guess....

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 33 of 101
Sitori
Frequent Contributor

So I went to the pre-approval spot and typed in my info and it said "recommended "  Discover More...then under it were the "additional offers" --Miles, Motiva...

I'm assuming the pre-approved letter in the mail was for the Discover More right? That's the one with the 5% cash back? Pretty sure.....hmmmmmmm seriously considering applying...What do you think??? should I?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EQ 701, TU 685, EX ?
Wallet:
Amazon store $2500(10/12), Cap1 $1500 (10/12), Discover $1700 (11/1/12).
Message 34 of 101
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Sitori wrote:

So I went to the pre-approval spot and typed in my info and it said "recommended "  Discover More...then under it were the "additional offers" --Miles, Motiva...

I'm assuming the pre-approved letter in the mail was for the Discover More right? That's the one with the 5% cash back? Pretty sure.....hmmmmmmm seriously considering applying...What do you think??? should I?

Scroll down to the bottom of the page - Is there an "Opt in/out" notice at the bottom? 

Also at the bottom it should say "build your own card!" 

Click on that, it may bring up something that says...

"

We were unable to pre-approve you based on the information provided. Why wasn't I pre-approved.

Since we couldn't find you in our records, we were unable to provide you with pre-approved offers. But you may still apply for any offer you build below." 

their pre-approval site is extremely misleading. 

Unless it says the words "Congratulations you have been pre-approved for..." it doesn't mean anything. 

Message 35 of 101
jamie123
Valued Contributor

I think these are your odds at being approved: Walmart = 100%  Discover = Coin Toss (Without having the pre-approval letter in hand.)

Do the Walmart now. Discover will keep sending you pre-approvals in the mail. My wife gets them every month. I on the other hand get the PRE-SELECTED offers every month.

You can then grocery shop like I do. Walmart for hard goods and Sweet Bay or Publix for meats and fresh produce. You will save big $$$ doing this.

Message 36 of 101
Sitori
Frequent Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Sitori wrote:

Scroll down to the bottom of the page - Is there an "Opt in/out" notice at the bottom? 

Also at the bottom it should say "build your own card!" 

Click on that, it may bring up something that says...

"

We were unable to pre-approve you based on the information provided. Why wasn't I pre-approved.

Since we couldn't find you in our records, we were unable to provide you with pre-approved offers. But you may still apply for any offer you build below." 

their pre-approval site is extremely misleading. 

Unless it says the words "Congratulations you have been pre-approved for..." it doesn't mean anything. 

CardBuilder My Card: Discover More Card Congratulations Erin! You are pre-approved3 for these offers

LOL!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EQ 701, TU 685, EX ?
Wallet:
Message 37 of 101
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@jamie123 wrote:

I think these are your odds at being approved: Walmart = 100%  Discover = Coin Toss (Without having the pre-approval letter in hand.)

Do the Walmart now. Discover will keep sending you pre-approvals in the mail. My wife gets them every month. I on the other hand get the PRE-SELECTED offers every month.

You can then grocery shop like I do. Walmart for hard goods and Sweet Bay or Publix for meats and fresh produce. You will save big $$$ doing this.

Good luck if you app for walmart OP! Your chances are pretty good, I got accepted with like 12 or 13 inqs Smiley Tongue They pull TU almost exclusively, and they also almost always use an internal scoring model, so don't be worried if you get a letter back with a score of like 300 Smiley Tongue 

@jamie123 - I didn't know sweetbay existed anywhere but here in gainesville. I'd never seen one till I moved up here for school lol 

Message 38 of 101
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Sweet Bays are all over the Tampa Bay area. Usually right across the street from Publix! Smiley Very Happy

Message 39 of 101
Sitori
Frequent Contributor

OK so I'm just going to apply.....I'll let you know what happens in 60 seconds...lol

EQ 701, TU 685, EX ?
Wallet:
Message 40 of 101
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.