Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holy crap!

tag
TFD2HOUSE
Established Member

Holy crap!

This may drag on.... Around 2007 I had four CC's charged off. This followed with a judgment for one of them. I have two med collections, one cell collection and numerous lates. Hard times, immaturity etc., none the less I fell through on my end of all of the above, and to this day I don't hide that I messed up. Most are aging off this year, but a few are still reporting. The judgment was filed in 2010 and has been paid.

So about the same time I found this forum I opened a Cap 1 secured, I was given the the $49/200 deal and after six months I got a $100 unsecured increase. I then got the walmart store card with a $400 CL. I let these age for a while, I paid in full, paid partial, even just made the minimum payment. I then refinanced an auto loan and received financing for a little project truck through a very small and local CU. Then last November ('13) I apped for the Barclaycard Rewards MasterCard for average credit. Approved for $500. I was blown away. I've been using this daily and making a couple payments a month (side note, I found paying through their website resulted in a payment hold every time. After my fifth call to CS she suggested using my banks bill pay to prevent payment holds. So thanks to Barclays I now use online bill pay for everything).

So we come to today, browsing these forums I came across a post about the Discover IT secured card. So I hopped over to the discover website and chatted with a really nice lady. As we know, so far, it cannot be applied for directly and it may or may not be offered after a denial. She stated that the accounts are reviewed periodically and they do have the opportunity to graduate. She was very friendly and personable, it didn't feel as if she was selecting pre written statements, even throwing in a smiley face at one point. So what the hell, I threw caution to the wind and applied, and as I figured.. "we apologize we cannot...." so I was about to x out without reading the whole page, but something looked different so before I clicked I read on "...approve you for the offer you applied for, but you are approved for this no annual fee card with all these great Discover benefits." WHAT!?!?! I was just approved for an unsecured Discover IT, seriously??? Went back to the chat window and asked her if that seriously just happened. She took some personal info and told me, "it's true, congratulations, and welcome to the Discover family, would you like to know you CL?"...... $1500. Holy crap! My highest CL back in '06 was $500. I sure hope Barclays doesn't get mad now.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Holy crap!

Great story, congrats on the Discover (unsecured!) card!  They really do customer service the right way.

I think you'll be good with Barclays, it's just 1 card Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 12
baller4life
Super Contributor

That is awesome! Congrats!
Message 3 of 12
WhosTheBoss

Well done. Congrats on your new cards!
Starting Scores: 630-660
Current Scores: 650-680
Goal Scores: 730-760 (util less than 5%)
Last app Jan, 2014

Message 4 of 12
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@TFD2HOUSE wrote:

This may drag on.... Around 2007 I had four CC's charged off. This followed with a judgment for one of them. I have two med collections, one cell collection and numerous lates. Hard times, immaturity etc., none the less I fell through on my end of all of the above, and to this day I don't hide that I messed up. Most are aging off this year, but a few are still reporting. The judgment was filed in 2010 and has been paid.

So about the same time I found this forum I opened a Cap 1 secured, I was given the the $49/200 deal and after six months I got a $100 unsecured increase. I then got the walmart store card with a $400 CL. I let these age for a while, I paid in full, paid partial, even just made the minimum payment. I then refinanced an auto loan and received financing for a little project truck through a very small and local CU. Then last November ('13) I apped for the Barclaycard Rewards MasterCard for average credit. Approved for $500. I was blown away. I've been using this daily and making a couple payments a month (side note, I found paying through their website resulted in a payment hold every time. After my fifth call to CS she suggested using my banks bill pay to prevent payment holds. So thanks to Barclays I now use online bill pay for everything).

So we come to today, browsing these forums I came across a post about the Discover IT secured card. So I hopped over to the discover website and chatted with a really nice lady. As we know, so far, it cannot be applied for directly and it may or may not be offered after a denial. She stated that the accounts are reviewed periodically and they do have the opportunity to graduate. She was very friendly and personable, it didn't feel as if she was selecting pre written statements, even throwing in a smiley face at one point. So what the hell, I threw caution to the wind and applied, and as I figured.. "we apologize we cannot...." so I was about to x out without reading the whole page, but something looked different so before I clicked I read on "...approve you for the offer you applied for, but you are approved for this no annual fee card with all these great Discover benefits." WHAT!?!?! I was just approved for an unsecured Discover IT, seriously??? Went back to the chat window and asked her if that seriously just happened. She took some personal info and told me, "it's true, congratulations, and welcome to the Discover family, would you like to know you CL?"...... $1500. Holy crap! My highest CL back in '06 was $500. I sure hope Barclays doesn't get mad now.

Congrats Smiley Happy WTG and welcome to the Discover Family

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 5 of 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on your new Discover and welcome to the family Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 12
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Awesome result!

Congrats on entering the Discover family!
Message 7 of 12
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

congrats on your recent success and WELCOME to the DISCOVER FAMILY!

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 8 of 12
FastForward
Frequent Contributor

Nice job!  Congrats on the new Discover!

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx BCP (10k) | AmEx Blue Cash (1k) | AmEx SPG (3.5k) | Barclay Arrival WMC (7.5k) | Barclay Sallie Mae (1.5k) | Cap1 QS (2k) | Chase Freedom (1k) | Discover IT (4.5k) | InTouch (Local) CU MC (5k) | InTouch (Local) CU LOC (25k)

Citi/Best Buy (AU) (1.5k) | Citi/Best Buy (7.5k) | Comenity/Crate & Barrel (4k) | Comenity/Restoration Hardware (9k) | GE/Ethan Allen (2.5k) | Synchrony Bank/Banana Republic (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Gap (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Walmart (3.3k)

myFICO scores ~ 691 (EQ) 670 (EX) 712 (TU) || Goal scores: 750+ (all 3)
Message 9 of 12
alvon123
Super Contributor

congrats

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.