cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instant Approval for Amazon Visa, but low CL?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Instant Approval for Amazon Visa, but low CL?

Hello guys,

I'm sorry if I'm starting too many new threads Smiley Happy, but I got a lot to learn still. 

I applied for a BCE yesterday and was approved today, so I went ahead and tried for the Amazon Rewards Visa by Chase. I got instant approval, but only a $400 limit. This message accompanied it: 

"Congratulations (ArtVandelay)! You have been approved for the Amazon.com Rewards Visa Card with a temporary credit limit of $400.00."

I'm confused on two things, why does it say "temporary" CL of $400, and if they thought me good enough for instant approval, why the tiny limit? AMEX gave me a $2k on my BCE and that was my first card (besides the Gold card).

Thanks,

EDIT: Hope I'm not coming off as greedy/whiney, I just was hoping for a little bit more. With my young credit, I was kinda throwing my credit into the fire by doing two HPs on two days, so I am hoping for a little bit bigger of a UTL boost from it.

Art Vandelay

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: Instant Approval for Amazon Visa, but low CL?

Temporary means the credit line will probably be higher...
Maybe they have to review it manually before your final credit line is granted...
Ime anyway. Someone chime in if I am incorrect...
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 2 of 30
enharu
Super Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Temporary means the credit line will probably be higher...
Maybe they have to review it manually before your final credit line is granted...
Ime anyway. Someone chime in if I am incorrect...

i am guessing the same.

Just call Recon.

The system probably gave you a CL it thinks is appropriate for your income level, fico score, and/or other factors.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 30
ObeyJohnny12
Established Contributor

You should call Chase, maybe they just want to verify some info and they might tell you your approval limit. Can't hurt to try. 

Wells Fargo Secured - 7k
Opensky - 5k
Rebuilding One Day At A Time.
Message 4 of 30
colindidit
Established Contributor

I've gotten a temporary credit limit and had that exact credit limit when I received the card :/
Wallet: Barclay-5k, Citadel MC- 5k, Slate- 4k, Freedom- 3k, BOA- 3k, Citi- 2k, AMEXBCE- 2k and more...
Message 5 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got approved for that same card last month with a temporary limit of $1700, and it's still at $1700 so I think that it isn't temporary lol

Message 6 of 30
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

recon...   Call the backdoor number Smiley Happy 

Good luck!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 7 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gonna call for recon ASAP. I've never done this, what do I say? Something like "I'd like to be reconsidered for a higher CL, my AMEX Gold card history is flawless and I was recently approved for the BCE card with a $2k limit?" Something like that?

Message 8 of 30
enharu
Super Contributor

i wouldn't mention that i had a amex bce that just got approved if i were you. since amex is going backdate it, just tell them you have an amex with 2k CL that hasnt reported to the CRAs but it should. mention about ur gold card history and average charges u made on it each month etc.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 9 of 30
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Ah crap..
Tbh Ive had both situations with diff banks...
Paypal MC said temp lim $1k
Actual limit started at $2000
Banana Rep store card said temp lim $400 in-store approval, then the card arrived w the same limit.

I'd go ahead and call recon while they have a fresh report, otherwise a recon for cl may cost you an add'l hp!!

Good luck !
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.