Merrick Bank - Punch Me Now

tag
Vegas4Play
Valued Contributor

Re: Merrick Bank - Punch Me Now

@steelers1 wrote:

Here comes your punch!

That's Insane!!!

Find another hobby besides credit. With your growing profile and your new friends (Amex) you have no business carrying a Merrick card.

That have NOTHING to offer you. You have NO gain to attain it.

Now its just another line on your credit report that screams subprime.

+1

Fico 8's TU 756/ EQ 754/ EX 743- 8/2020// AAoA 5.7 years // Lines August 2020 = 619k Personal - Business 61k // Inquiries 6 TU - 0 Exp - 0 Eq.
Message 11 of 19
Vegas4Play
Valued Contributor

@elim wrote:

I wonder why these lenders don't branch out and offer a solid card to better profiles. "Credit One Cash Rewards" or whatever.

Why should they, there is money to be made off of people who do not know or feel that they have no other options out there...for some it is true (once you have burned every lender out their, you will have no where else to go). These companies exist and offer the products they offer because there is a need for them... for someone somewhere. 

Fico 8's TU 756/ EQ 754/ EX 743- 8/2020// AAoA 5.7 years // Lines August 2020 = 619k Personal - Business 61k // Inquiries 6 TU - 0 Exp - 0 Eq.
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@steelers1 wrote:

Here comes your punch!

That's Insane!!!

Find another hobby besides credit. With your growing profile and your new friends (Amex) you have no business carrying a Merrick card.

I don't about screaming subprime. Credit is credit; unless it's a manual review. A Visa or MC is just that. Even if it is reported to the CB as "secured" "sub..." it doesn't factor into a score. A manual review will tell a different story. Congrats to the OP on another credit line. You don't have to keep it forever. Congrats again. Lowewr UT

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Although I cringe when I hear their name
That product isn't horrible $2800 in 7 months
No fees
Apr isn't the worst...Cap-1 and Disco offer worst APRs

Based on that, with a decent SL.... it's hard to poo poo the product just based on who is offering it, many people have decent dealings with Merrick

Perhaps they really are trying to diversify their portfolio and keeping relationships or adding them on folks way up is the way to do it.
Cap-1 is a good example.... many ppl myself included don't NEED Cap-1 anymore but will keep them in the wallet out of loyalty and at least decent treatment and products....not the best but good enough to justify the continued relationship, maybe Merrick is learning to follow suit.
Like Kia trying to be Toyota or Honda 30 years later follow a proven formula.
Message 14 of 19
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

Congrats! Those are pretty decent terms.

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 15 of 19
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

@Vegas4Play wrote:

@steelers1 wrote:

Here comes your punch!

That's Insane!!!

+1

+2

Now that you know about credit, try to build for better credit and move forward! No point on collecting cards that have no benefit to you and sounded good a year ago!

Make habit of closing all of your useless cards now that you're getting good cards!

Message 16 of 19
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

Hah congrats!  I think we suffer from the same afflication.

No need or reason for the card but when I saw no AF and doubling my limit, I bit and got it as well Smiley Tongue

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got a preapproved offer for my elderly mom in 2014, whose credit got dinged through an unscrupulous lawyer and caregiver. 

She was preapproved for $1100, no annual fees, bumped up to $2200 in 7 months, and they gave her an automatic bump to $2600 earlier this year.

Not a bad card to keep around for incidentals and a positive tradeline.

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval!
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.