Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NAVY FEDERAL ROCKS!!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NAVY FEDERAL ROCKS!!!!

Hello Everyone, 

Newbie here ( So go easy Smiley Happy, but I've been secretly taking notes from all of you wonderful folks. 

Anyway, I'll jump right in. I've been rebuilding for almost a year. (April 2019), which is when I was fortunate enough to find you all. 

I kind of read and researched the HE-(double kockey sticks) out of this fine forum, (and others) and decided to take charge. Needless to say, I latched on to the suggestions of many and got in with Navy Fed. ( Not in the military, however, Dad is Retired Air Force, both Grand Fathers were in (and retired from ) Army), so October 2019, called NFCU, applied right on the phone (with Proof in hand) and the Rep took my info and within 5 minutes was COngratulating me for becoming a member. 3 days later got my Member number in the mail, called back paid the $5 Member fee, and the lady asked if I'd be interested in opening a Savings account. At first I saod No, since I had just got one through my works affiliation with Wright-Patterson Credit union, but thought what the Hey... sure... well then she went on to ask me if I wanted a Checking account. Really wasn't in the mood for Savings, let alone Checking as well, but said Sure... go ahead... (still was waiting on the Alert for Hard pulls to pop up from a few days earlier, but that never happened... it was a soft pull for membership, and they never asked me to send in my proof that I had in hand)... Although I did have a Fraud Alert on my 3 bureaus (bad -ex spouse) ... but anyway after the Rep went through all the goodies of the Checking and Savings... she then says Have you considered having a Navy Federal credit card? Well right there I was thinking... "well this is the end of the ride, this is where it all falls apart" (thinking I was going to go the secured Nrewards route... I was like well  OK, (explained my sistuation that I was rebuilding etc.) and the rep was reall ynice, and said well lets see I can get you to a representative, (me thinking, well I'm about to burn a Hard pull so why bother) but never said No, so I go through the app with the nice lady on the phone, and waiting for the ball to drop ( we need to further process you application yadda yadda yadda) I was making small talk with her, and told her about my process she interupted me and was like "Actually your APPROVED...for $500" for the Go Rewards program, and she said I could either choose Visa, or AMEX version. (I chose the Visa). 

Neeldess to say by the end of the call, I was (in my mind) filling out the Direct Deposit form to move my deposit from 5/3 to NFCU!!! My scores at the time (10/2019) were just at 600- EX - 628- EQ - 579-TU (TU and I have a love/hate relationship). 

So FFWD to now, I've been researching and reading and oberying everyone here, and wiated the whole 91 days plus 3 statements, on the Visa, well my statements cut 24th of each month, which was this past Friday, but I've also read about people looking at a 2nd card. So, I was so excited to get the $500 in October, I wasnt going to fool with another card....but.... I digress... so, Saturday (wanted to make sure the full statement had cut and it did, also didnt hurt that my deposits went into my accounts, I pulled up the App to apply on for the 2nd card, then got through to the final screen, and chickened out. Then about 20 minutes later I got an e-mail from NFCU to come back and finish my application, (cuz I had read on a different forum that Navy has started declining apps, and tightening the purse strings)....so after a lot of thought, (and a few sips of Starbucks)... I did it..... BAM!!! APPROVED!MORE REWARD AMEX $10,000.00 8.99%... I literally dropped my i-pad and  knocked my starbucks cup floor.... I had initially gone in to request a CLI on the Go Rewards and ended up with a whole new card. I thought it had to be fake, but NOPE.... got an e-mail 20 minutes later saying Congrats etc. I totally forgot to request the CLI on the Go Rewards... so I went and did that and it said I would have a decision within 24 hours.. (heY I wasnt complaining) Later on Saturday, I actually logged in to move money from checkig to savings... and clicked on my Go Rewrds and noticed the Avail Credit (Normally $500 I pay every 2 days or so) went to Available Credit $1987!!! (Netflix posted their $13) ... so that went from $500 to $2,000. So I think $11,500 and about 30 agonizing seconds of stress on a Saturday morning are pretty worth it! Smiley Happy ... I was delcined for Ikea and Pottery barn, (Holiday promotions)  but yet and still Commenity keeps INCREASING my limit on Wayfair and Express - Go Figure) 

I relaize that to most of you that's peanuts, but coming from someone who but only a year ago had a HIGH credit score of 409 (Trans Union was lowest at 388...YESS 388) It's like a Lottery winning.

Since my rebulding process began April 2019, I have acuaired a Target Credit Card, Wayfair, and the biggest, a brand new Mazda 2019 (September 2019) CX-9 with Huntington Bank @ 5.99 they pulled EQ which is my cleanest.  

Capital One will be going in the Sock drawer, I've had that card since 2007, (my ex didnt know about that one) so I've never missed a beat, but they will not go above $500.... and continue to charge me $59  AF. (it started out as an Orchard Bank card in 2007, then went to HSBC, then in 2011 to Cap One and they raided the limit form $300 to $500) 

Current Scores

Exp 692

EQ 679

TU 599 - Still has Repo showng with Wells Fargo from where I co-signed for me ex Smiley Sad 

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Re: NAVY FEDERAL ROCKS!!!!

This is Superb I love it and NOOOOO not the Coffee LOLOLOL but Congrats this is well deserved indeed keep building and working you are doing a great job so far!

Message 2 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Love seeing stories like this, especially about Navy. Congrats and welcome to myFICO! Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank You Kindly! Smiley Happy and Yes, the Glass Starbucks cup Smiley Sad But... I ran and got a new one yesterday so we're good! Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank You so much! Smiley Happy 

Message 5 of 36
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Welcome To myFICO Forums and

Message 6 of 36
Peazmom
Frequent Contributor

Congrats on your new card, an awesome SL and your CLI! (sorry about the Starbucks cup) and WELCOME to the boards!  Keep that shoulder to the grindstone and keep pushing forward...those cards, along with your scores will grow!  I look forward to following your journey!

Starting FICO 8 December 2017

FICO 8 as of 6/7/20

Sock Drawer:

Message 7 of 36
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!
Message 8 of 36
Marz2002
Senior Contributor

From 1 Rebuider to another Rebuider, CONGRATS @Runitsty on your NFCU More Rewards AMEX approval - Welcome to the NFCU family and the FORUMS!!! Smiley Very Happy

AMEX BCP $8K | AMEX Cash Magnet $15K | Citi DoubleCash WEMC $15.2K | Citi Rewards WMC $15.5K | Citi Costco VS $12K
Citi Custom Cash WEMC $7.8K | Synchrony (PayPal Credit $6K, Care Credit $15K, & PayPal 2% MC $10K, VENMO VS $6.5K)
PNC Cash Rewards VS $10.5K | NFCU cashRewards VS $14K | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $37.5K | NFCU Flagship Rewards VS $23K
Discover IT $22.5K | BB&T Cash Rewards $4.5K | Macy's AMEX $25K | Bloomingdales AMEX $20K | Apple Card WEMC $9K
PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS $7.5K

Total CL - $284K+
Message 9 of 36
Marz2002
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Love seeing stories like this, especially about Navy. Congrats and welcome to myFICO! Smiley Happy

, my friend Welcome Back to the CC Approvals section!
AMEX BCP $8K | AMEX Cash Magnet $15K | Citi DoubleCash WEMC $15.2K | Citi Rewards WMC $15.5K | Citi Costco VS $12K
Citi Custom Cash WEMC $7.8K | Synchrony (PayPal Credit $6K, Care Credit $15K, & PayPal 2% MC $10K, VENMO VS $6.5K)
PNC Cash Rewards VS $10.5K | NFCU cashRewards VS $14K | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $37.5K | NFCU Flagship Rewards VS $23K
Discover IT $22.5K | BB&T Cash Rewards $4.5K | Macy's AMEX $25K | Bloomingdales AMEX $20K | Apple Card WEMC $9K
PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS $7.5K

Total CL - $284K+
Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.