Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Approval

tag
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

PenFed Approval

Woah it's been 6 years since I posted!  I lurk occassionally, but I believe years pass without lurking as well.

On to what you're really reading for. I recently applied to become a member of PenFed.  I had to call in to complete identity verification.

Ultimately I had to load documents (not POI related).  Suprisingly, they reviewed and approved the verification documents within an hour of my upload.

Initially I only opened a savings account.  Once my identity was verified I applied for the PenFed Gold and was approved for $7.5k SL with 15.49% APR.  I applied to take advantage of the BT. 

My EQ8 is 726, EQ9 691 - I have relatively high aggregate UTIL around 44%, which is why I am looking to consolidate and pay off aggressively with the balance transfer.  No derogatory nor lates on any reports.  I received the survey 2 days after approval.  I requested a higher limit via survey. I am now waiting to hear back to see if my request will be granted.  It will be an interesting DP to see if the survey is still helpful for recons.

Edited to add no hard pull for membership (this made me nervous reading about the experiences of others). Only 1 hp for CC application.  0 inq with Equifax at the time of application. I had a theory or moreso superstition about clicking the "apply now" versus "join now" buttons.  I made sure to click join now, to possibly minimize any of their system glitches that may have resulted in unnecessary hard pull.

I hope this information has been helpful to someone!

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: PenFed Approval

Congratulations on your approval!
Message 2 of 19
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your new banking relationship with PenFed and your new Gold Card!!  Enjoy!!

Message 3 of 19
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your approval and membership!!! Good luck on recon!!

Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LawStudentCivilis wrote:

... I hope this information has been helpful to someone!

Good stuff Smiley Wink -- thank you & Congratulations! on a nice approval. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 19
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Sweet, congrats on your Penfed approval Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 19
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

Thank you everyone! I forgot to add I had 0 inq on Equifax if that is a helpful datapoint.  I will let everyone know if/when I hear back. 

Message 7 of 19
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Well what a way to come back to the forums than with an awesome approval. Congrats!
Message 8 of 19
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your PenFed Gold approval!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (April 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 9 of 19
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

@LoquatAw thank you Smiley Happy Hopefully I can be a good datapoint as I saw discussion about whether PenFed's surveys are still useful. 

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.