Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sam's club did a hard pull when I was told I was pre-approved without asking

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sam's club did a hard pull when I was told I was pre-approved without asking

I got a Sam's club membership today.(through my UPS benefits resources for 20$) I walked in and changed my cell phone service to Sprint and walked out with $1,000 in Sam's club gift cards five Galaxy S10 s plus my cell phone bill is cheaper for now, and 2 unauthorized hard pulls.
First one is someone explainable or understandable because Sprint did hand me 5 brand new phones but I was never made aware of this hp, and the pull was done before I signed anything.

The second one (Sam's club MasterCard) made no sense. I was in line buying the cases for the phones I just got with my new gift cards. The shopper in front of me was asked if they wanted to open up a credit card because they were pre-approved and they did. So with a laugh I asked if she could let me know the same thing if I was pre-approved. I don't know what she thought I said but after telling me I was pre-approved she told me hold on it pending (immediately knew what she did and almost lost my s***)
By the time we walk over to the customer service desk to figure this out I knew I would hear my phone go off with a credit alert for another hard pull and sure enough it did before I got to the counter. Instead of trying to fight an uphill unwinnable battle I chose to accept the card. I was approved for 4500. I definitely was never told my credit would be pulled I never asked for it to be pulled. I only accepted the credit card after they already did the hard pull. I don't mind the card and that's why I was curious because I planned on apping down the future.
Honestly I'm not sure whether I should be upset because I was trying to grow my other cards or if I should just be happy I got this card now rather than next year.
Since May fifth credit card approval SMH
Just extended my garden time LOL.

17 REPLIES 17
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Sam's club did a hard pull when I was told I was pre-approved without asking

Congratulations on your approvals!
Message 2 of 18
Physh1
Frequent Contributor

Re: Sam's club did a hard pull when I was told I was pre-approved without asking

You need to read up on what 'pre-approved' really means. I personally treat this term as complete marketing. I'm going to quote an article from thebalance...

Credit card issuers have a screening process to figure out which consumers might be a good fit for a particular credit card. In the screening process, the card issuer asks the credit bureau for a list of consumers who fit certain criteria, like those who have a certain credit score or have a certain number of accounts. If you meet the criteria, your name goes on the list and the credit card issuer sends you a pre-approval offer. Think of it as an invitation to apply for the credit card rather than a firm offer for the credit card.

Pre-approval doesn't affect your credit score, because the credit card issuer hasn't done a hard pull on your credit report. However, if you decide to apply for the credit card, the credit card issuer will do a credit check that will result in a hard inquiry. The inquiry that comes from your application could hurt your credit score depending on the other information in your credit report.

Pre-approved simply means you met some obscure criteria to determine if you might be a good customer for their card.

Message 3 of 18
SEAlifer
Established Contributor

That’s why I prefer to apply for cards online. At least then they seem to always alert you it will be a hard pull. I wonder if there are laws around notifying you about doing this.

AU

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on the approval.

The sprint HP you should have expected, as you’ve already touched on.

Regarding the Sam’s card, I’d be a little upset, but anything to do with a credit card it’s safe to assume your credit reports are involved
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Physh1 wrote:

You need to read up on what 'pre-approved' really means. I personally treat this term as complete marketing. I'm going to quote an article from thebalance...

Credit card issuers have a screening process to figure out which consumers might be a good fit for a particular credit card. In the screening process, the card issuer asks the credit bureau for a list of consumers who fit certain criteria, like those who have a certain credit score or have a certain number of accounts. If you meet the criteria, your name goes on the list and the credit card issuer sends you a pre-approval offer. Think of it as an invitation to apply for the credit card rather than a firm offer for the credit card.

Pre-approval doesn't affect your credit score, because the credit card issuer hasn't done a hard pull on your credit report. However, if you decide to apply for the credit card, the credit card issuer will do a credit check that will result in a hard inquiry. The inquiry that comes from your application could hurt your credit score depending on the other information in your credit report.

Pre-approved simply means you met some obscure criteria to determine if you might be a good customer for their card.

I'm not sure your understood what happend to the op or you just missed the point. The op knows what preapproval means. They asked if they were preapproved and instead checking for preapproval the chasier  applied for the card for them. That is not what he wanted. That was a screwup.

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SEAlifer wrote:
That’s why I prefer to apply for cars online. At least then they seem to always alert you it will be a hard pull. I wonder if there are laws around notifying you about doing this.

I am the same way. I learned this the hard way when car shopping. If anyone ask for my SS even the last 4...I say no. I do it online where I can clearly see soft pull or hard pull language. If it is not clear I don't hit submit. When you do it in person you are at the mercy of the incompetent or the unscrupulous. 

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@SEAlifer wrote:
That’s why I prefer to apply for cars online. At least then they seem to always alert you it will be a hard pull. I wonder if there are laws around notifying you about doing this.

I am the same way. I learned this the hard way when car shopping. If anyone ask for my SS even the last 4...I say no. I do it online where I can clearly see soft pull or hard pull language. If it is not clear I don't hit submit. When you do it in person you are at the mercy of the incompetent or the unscrupulous. 

I also learned this the hard way when I bought my truck. I told them to send it to one  bank, if they declined I wouldn't buy the truck. 

When I finally signed up for Credit Karma, I saw there were a bunch of HPs on my report, luckily they were almost off my report at that time 

Message 8 of 18
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congrats!!!!

Message 9 of 18
Physh1
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not sure your understood what happend to the op or you just missed the point. The op knows what preapproval means. They asked if they were preapproved and of checking for preapproval the chasier  applied for the card for them. That is not what he wanted. That was a screwup.

Looks like I read it a little too quickly...it's Friday & I'm clearly too excited for beer time...haha

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.