cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Secured -> CSP] This credit card newbie got approved for Chase Sapphire Preferred!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

[Secured -> CSP] This credit card newbie got approved for Chase Sapphire Preferred!

Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to this credit card stuff so bear with me if I don't sound as sophisticated as yall do haha

I held just one secured card for a long time (2.5 yrs) with CL at $300. I was still able to bump my score up to EX 765 and TU 750. I was pretty excited that my patience paid off and decided to start applying for premiun cards with dope rewards. After researching for weeks, I came up with a gameplan to first apply for Costco Citi, wait a few months, then apply for CSP. I must say I was not as patient as I was for the past 2.5 years. 

Long story short, I got approved for Costco Citi with CL $6k back in February. My score went down to EX 751 & TU 742. I was still in a good place and felt pretty confident that I'd probably be able to get CSP relatively easily in 3 months.

NOPE. I got super impatient and wanted to make the most of my travel expenses and take advantage of no foreign transaction fees so I applied  for CSP yesterday. Dinged my score down to EX 741 & TU 720 (ouch). I was NOT approved instantly. I called the customer support to check on the status and the robolady said I'll get an answer in 30 days. I was pretty anxious but decided to wait one more day to get connected with an actual person. So this afternoon, I decided to call the robolady again before just to see if the messaging has changed and found out that I was APPROVED for CL $6.7k.

I just wanted to share this to encourage any secured card holders envying others with premium cards. Be patient. It will pay off!! I know there are other mid-level credit cards people get between secured card and premium but I was able to skip all of those! It might not be the best strategy but I'm finally part of the CSP family.

My next target, of course, is CSR...

Thanks for reading y'all.

11 REPLIES 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: [Secured -> CSP] This credit card newbie got approved for Chase Sapphire Preferred!

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to this credit card stuff so bear with me if I don't sound as sophisticated as yall do haha

I held just one secured card for a long time (2.5 yrs) with CL at $300. I was still able to bump my score up to EX 765 and TU 750. I was pretty excited that my patience paid off and decided to start applying for premiun cards with dope rewards. After researching for weeks, I came up with a gameplan to first apply for Costco Citi, wait a few months, then apply for CSP. I must say I was not as patient as I was for the past 2.5 years. 

Long story short, I got approved for Costco Citi with CL $6k back in February. My score went down to EX 751 & TU 742. I was still in a good place and felt pretty confident that I'd probably be able to get CSP relatively easily in 3 months.

NOPE. I got super impatient and wanted to make the most of my travel expenses and take advantage of no foreign transaction fees so I applied  for CSP yesterday. Dinged my score down to EX 741 & TU 720 (ouch). I was NOT approved instantly. I called the customer support to check on the status and the robolady said I'll get an answer in 30 days. I was pretty anxious but decided to wait one more day to get connected with an actual person. So this afternoon, I decided to call the robolady again before just to see if the messaging has changed and found out that I was APPROVED for CL $6.7k.

I just wanted to share this to encourage any secured card holders envying others with premium cards. Be patient. It will pay off!! I know there are other mid-level credit cards people get between secured card and premium but I was able to skip all of those! It might not be the best strategy but I'm finally part of the CSP family.

My next target, of course, is CSR...

Thanks for reading y'all.

You can't get both a CSP and a CSR.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 12
Marz2002
Senior Contributor

Re: [Secured -> CSP] This credit card newbie got approved for Chase Sapphire Preferred!

YOU...

awesome congratulations GIF by Slanted Studios

CONGRATULATIONS on your Approvals, AWESOME SLs, and Welcome to the FORUMS!!!

AMEX BCP $8K | AMEX Cash Magnet $15K | Citi DoubleCash WEMC $15.2K | Citi Rewards WMC $15.5K | Citi Costco VS $12K
Citi Custom Cash WEMC $7.8K | Synchrony (PayPal Credit $6K, Care Credit $15K, & PayPal 2% MC $10K, VENMO VS $6.5K)
PNC Cash Rewards VS $10.5K | NFCU cashRewards VS $14K | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $37.5K | NFCU Flagship Rewards VS $23K
Discover IT $22.5K | BB&T Cash Rewards $4.5K | Macy's AMEX $25K | Bloomingdales AMEX $20K | Apple Card WEMC $9K
PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS $7.5K

Total CL - $284K+
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! 

Message 4 of 12
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations on your CSP!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approva and very nice SL

Welcome to CSP family

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval and journey!

Message 7 of 12
MartyWrite75
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!  Thank you for the words of encouragement.  I am one of the folks who are "in between", and I am waiting patiently to things start looking up.  LOL

April 2024: Experian 769; Equifax 779; Transunion 781

Cards I Have:
Cap One QS: $600 (Sock drawer) || Cap One QS (#2): $6,200 (Sock drawer) || Discover It: $11,400 || Cap One Walmart: $600 (Sock drawer) || AMEX BCP: $8,900 || Amazon Prime Store Card: $10,000 || FNBO Rewards Visa: $2,600 || Discover Cash Back: $5,500 || Citi Custom Cash: $9,500 || Verizon VS Visa: $10,000 || Amex Hilton Honors: $10,000 || Amazon (Chase) Prime Rewards (VS): $9,500

Wishlist Cards:
Paypal Mastercard || Bread Mastercard

Gardening to 10/2024(ideally)
Total Utilization: 11%
Inquiries: Exp: (1) Trans: (0) Equif: (0)

Message 8 of 12
RickNATL
Established Contributor

That's awesome...congrats

Message 9 of 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Good job, enjoy it Smiley Happy Welcome to the board.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.