cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surprise Auto-CLI from PenFed!! Woooo Hooooo !

tag
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Surprise Auto-CLI from PenFed!! Woooo Hooooo !

Surprise Auto CLI's are the best!!   Smiley Very Happy

So I got my PenFed Power Cash Rewards Visa card in November and have had it just over six months now.  The SL was $15K. I didn't put super-heavy use on it but I used it regularly.  Monthly balances were $422, $1302, $0, $398, $137, and $189.  The high spend was while I was meeting the SUB ($100 for $1500 spend.)  I didn't do heavy primary banking with PenFed, but I did have deposits in a checking and savings account as well as their Premium Online (Money Market) Savings that currently pays 1.15% APY.  

I asked for a CLI a couple of weeks ago.  As usual, PenFed did a HP on my EQ.  They approved me for $10K!  Not bad.  I was pleased with my new $25K limit, but I did hope to grow it further later on. 

Late last night, I logged into the website and happened to click on "Offers."  I couldn't believe my eyes.  I had an "Auto Finance" offer and a "Credit Card" offer.  The Credit Card offer was for either a new card of my choice with a $16,700 credit limit or a CLI for the same amount on my existing card!  And all this apparently without an additional hard pull!  I didn't need the other card offerings (a second Power Cash Rewards, a PenFed Promise, or a Platinum Rewards Signature*See bottom for why.)  So I proceeded with the CLI authorization.  I ended up with a total of $26,700 in new credit for one hard pull!  Well worth it. 

And my new credit limit is now $41,700 after only six months with the card!  Smiley Happy

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

There were only three other card options and none of them fulfilled any holes in my lineup.

* The PenFed Promise has a low APR for balance transfers but I didn't need that. 

** I didn't need a second Power Cash Rewards

*** And the Platinum Rewards pays best on gas (5 points = about 4.25% redemption) and groceries (3 points = 2.55%) but those are categories I have covered almost as well if not better with other cards.  My Chase Freedom and Discover IT both have those as rotating 5% categories.  My Costco Visa also pays 4% already on gas for up to $7K per year.  And when the rotating category cards aren't paying for groceries, I already have my UMB Simply Rewards program Visa (AFBA) and AOD FCU Visa that both pay 3% on groceries.

****  The Pathfinder Rewards travel card is suspended pending the coronavirus or I might have considered applying for that instead. 

Meanwhile, I like having fewer high-limit cards anyway, so the $41.7K CL was attractive to me anyway!

PF_PCR_CLI_20200606_01.jpg

PF_PCR_CLI_20200606_06.jpg

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Surprise Auto-CLI from PenFed!! Woooo Hooooo !

Congratulations on your CLI! SP is the best.
Message 2 of 43
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Excellent a nice double play on the same card!

Message 3 of 43
slickwidit
Established Contributor

Congratulations on the huge increase! I know my time is coming for offers like this with PenFed!

"Achieving your goal is great and everything.. But The journey is where all the amazing stuff happens" *Slickwidit*
Score goals - 800+ (85 points away)
Message 4 of 43
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

Congrats! Nicely done 👍👍

Message 5 of 43
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Nice!   I'm always really happy to see people get those offers.

Message 6 of 43
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

WooHooSmileyWave-vi.gif

Message 7 of 43
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your MONSTER PenFed CLI!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 8 of 43
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Aim_High, Sorry .. forgot to say; "TAKE THAT AMEX"Smiley LOL

Message 9 of 43
SarahJo
Established Contributor

Hooray!

Present Day...Equifax: ???, TransUnion: 777, Experian: 781
Sept. 2016...Equifax: 652, TransUnion: 608, Experian: 597
Message 10 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.