cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update: CSR Approved - How lenient is Chase on considering auto finance inquiries?

tag
xrefd

Update: CSR Approved - How lenient is Chase on considering auto finance inquiries?

Hey all, first post here since I started coming to myFICO forums for reading a while back.  Apologies if this is not the right fourm or if an existing thread exists; I didn't see anything in the search.

I'm looking for some approval odds and app strategy advice.  Basically, I have been planning to get the CSR for a while and would like to get it in time for some upcoming travel next month to start working towards the sign up bonus with trip expenses.  I am below the 5/24 rule, have had a previous Chase card for more than 2 years (Amazon Visa) as well as business checking with Chase.  My AAoA is fairly young, but not unreasonable.  100% payment history and 20% utilization (once a payment is reported that will drop to under 10%). The only factor I think that may hurt me is the number of inquiries on my report, which is about 50 (!) across all bureaus in the past 2 years.  I know.  However, 95% of them are from dealerships from car shopping both 2 years ago, last year (car from 2 years ago was a lemon), and motorcycle shopping recently.  If you look at non-vehicular inquiries, I've only got a handful.  

My understanding is that once an inquiry is older than 1 year, it no longer affects your score (even though it's still on the report for another year).  By the end of this month, 24 of those inquiries will become more than a year old, so that should boost my score a bit, right?  I'm currently in the low 700s.  That would leave me with 6 inquiries total in the past 12 months on Experian, which it seems is favored by Chase.

Either way, I am expecting I will probably have to call the reconsideration line.  Has anyone else had experience with this type of thing?  Do you think they will be lenient with the fact that my non-vehicle inquiries are pretty normal?  My income is low 6 figures if that helps, total debt including auto (no mortage) is about 1/3 of that. 

Mod note:  I've updated your subject to reflect your approval; feel free to change/edit if you would like.  --UB

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How lenient is Chase on considering auto finance inquiries?

Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

Your post has been restored and it was most likely removed by the auto filter due to the edit.
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

First, i would wait 'til those inquiries to show over 1 year old and the UTL to show 10%. Have you thought about a credit union bank? those tend to be the best for car loans. Is always suggested to NOT get a loan at the dealer...those one million inquires Smiley Surprised

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I generally do not include "lenient" and "Chase" in the same sentence.

Message 4 of 11
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

First let me be the first to say to gdale6 ..... HUH ??

I would wait til the end of the month til the 24 inquiries drop off your reports. If anyting else, if your app went to manual review, it would look alot cleaner not to mention the modest score bump

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 5 of 11
xrefd

Hey everyone, update --

I went ahead an applied for the CSR online without waiting for 100% of those inquiries to reach the 1 year mark.  I thought that waiting until then would be cutting it too close in terms of leaving for my trip. Happily, I was instantly approved for a $17.5k limit!  I'm fairly suprised by this, to be honest.  So I guess in answer to my question, "how linient is Chase on non-bankcard inquiries?", it would seem their algorithm is quite lenient.

In case anyone else comes along with a similar situation as mine, here are my credit details as of when I applied:

They pulled Experian
FICO Bankcard 8: 725 Ex

FICO Bankcard 9: 748 Ex
Inquiries: 12 within last year

Credit Utilization: 8%

AAoA: 1 yr 11 mos

Total Accounts: 10

100% Payment History

0 Derogatories

@Meanmchine wrote:

My OP was flagged as Spam, he un-spammified it for me.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!! This card is on my list.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

The FICO algorithm counts auto financing inquiries made in a two-week period as a single inquiry so even though 30 inquiries may appear on your credit report its considered less if they are within a certain period.  This also holds true for mortgage shopping.

Congrats on your CSR approval.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@xrefd wrote:

Hey everyone, update --

I went ahead an applied for the CSR online without waiting for 100% of those inquiries to reach the 1 year mark.  I thought that waiting until then would be cutting it too close in terms of leaving for my trip. Happily, I was instantly approved for a $17.5k limit!  I'm fairly suprised by this, to be honest.  So I guess in answer to my question, "how linient is Chase on non-bankcard inquiries?", it would seem their algorithm is quite lenient.

In case anyone else comes along with a similar situation as mine, here are my credit details as of when I applied:

They pulled Experian
FICO Bankcard 8: 725 Ex

FICO Bankcard 9: 748 Ex
Inquiries: 12 within last year

Credit Utilization: 8%

AAoA: 1 yr 11 mos

Total Accounts: 10

100% Payment History

0 Derogatories

@Meanmchine wrote:

My OP was flagged as Spam, he un-spammified it for me.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Wow Congrats on nice SL .. thats nice people getting approved instant even with 50 inqs . Glad Chase approved you even with 50 inqs

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

True CU’s generally are the best option for auto loans unless the car manufacturer’s financial institution is offering a sweet deal sub 1% financing. If your score/credit is top notch there should be no reason to go the CU route.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.