cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated: I applied and was approved! Citi Credit Card Referral link?

tag
Mnk1
New Contributor

Updated: I applied and was approved! Citi Credit Card Referral link?

So, I'm chatting online with Citi asking if it's possible to refer a person to a Citi card and they come back to me and say yes, but I have to call in and provide verbal authorization and also provide the other person's DOB, SSN and Income! That seems a bit odd to me. I mean, who has that type of info for another person (well, I do actually since I want to refer my spouse, but I'm not telling them that).

Anyone know of any other way to refer?

Thanks!

14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Credit Card Referral link?

I've never seen a referral push from Citi since I've had their card,  therefore I take it as another pseudo benefit. For instance, they supposedly have a discount portal similar to Amex Offers, Chase Deals, etc. They even have a website.  But I never have gotten it to work, and never seen anything applied to my account. 

So I'd be leery the referral process works. Even if you provide the information they requested, it's another story if you actually get the referral. But, I could be wrong. 

Every other card I have with a referral program shoves the option in my face on their website. Never saw a single web promo section for the option on their site.

Message 2 of 15
Mnk1
New Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply. I think I'll just have my spouse go ahead and app. She's pre-qualified for the DC and Simplicity (and has been for the Rewards+ not too long ago), but wants the Premier, so might as well go for it. Only one other card in the last year, 2 in last two years.

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mnk1 wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. I think I'll just have my spouse go ahead and app. She's pre-qualified for the DC and Simplicity (and has been for the Rewards+ not too long ago), but wants the Premier, so might as well go for it. Only one other card in the last year, 2 in last two years.

Well if the DW has excellent credit, a referral would be nice, but if she is a little iffy getting approved, going the pre-qualified route is a little safer.

Message 4 of 15
TekkenQQ7
Established Contributor

Good luck to your DW!

Message 5 of 15
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I have not seen that type of request for a referral.  Maybe the rep misunderstood and thought you were trying to convert a card to a joint card?  I would have guessed AU card but they wouldn't ask income.

Citi does have a referral program but it is slow and can be a pain.  You have to opt into it, then wait a day or so for it to take effect.  Then they tell you that you can refer up to 5 people in the next year, and you have to supply Citi with their email address and name.  They will then send an invite to the person days later.

Message 6 of 15
Mnk1
New Contributor

I have to assume that was the case. Just a few hours ago I went for it for myself. Got the dreaded 7-10 day message, but called right away and 3 minutes later CSR came back with an approval. $5,800 SL (lowest I've received in awhile), but hey, I'll take it. Does Citi let you move around CL? I have a DC. I'll have my spouse try one we got this Sub in a month or two. 

Message 7 of 15
TekkenQQ7
Established Contributor

congratulations.gif

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval! 

Message 9 of 15
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Mnk1 wrote:

I have to assume that was the case. Just a few hours ago I went for it for myself. Got the dreaded 7-10 day message, but called right away and 3 minutes later CSR came back with an approval. $5,800 SL (lowest I've received in awhile), but hey, I'll take it. Does Citi let you move around CL? I have a DC. I'll have my spouse try one we got this Sub in a month or two. 

That's a decent approval for Citi these days, more than I got for Premier 2 years back!  Citi isn't too easy to do reallocations with in most cases.  Basically you need to be approved for a CLI on one card (usually a HP) before they reduce the donor card.  Hence my mismatched sock drawer $18k Rewards+ and $10k Premier cards.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.