cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are my approval odds for Chase Freedom Unlimited? 3 recent inq's. UPDATE - Approved

tag
etatauri
Established Member

What are my approval odds for Chase Freedom Unlimited? 3 recent inq's. UPDATE - Approved

Hello MyFico'ers,

I'm trying to round up my CC cashback system with a 'everything else' category card. After I get the Chase Freedom Unlimited I plan to garden for a while.

I had 3 new accounts since April: The Savor (cli 20k), Amex BCP (cli 11k), and the Prime Visa (cli 6.9k). They were all approved at around 815 or so Experian Fico 8. Now that the Prime Visa has been posted, my score dropped to 797. My Savor and Amex card has not been reported yet but I recon it will drop another 30 or points after it reports.

My question is, do I still have a good chance of getting this card? I have 3 credit card inquiries at the moment, about 2 1/2 years AAoA, with the oldest being almost 7 years old. 

Should I:

a. apply

b. garden until the new cards have posted

c. garden until an inquiry has dropped?

I don't care if my credit drops a bit in the short term as I will not be seeking any more loans or credit in the foreseeable future, so I'm really more concerned with approval odds on the Chase card. Thank you in advance!

Capital One Savor 20,000 |||| Chase Sapphire Preferred 15,000 |||| American Express Blue Cash Preferred 11,000 |||| Venmo 10,000 |||| Macy's Amex 10,000 |||| Amazon Prime Signature Visa (Chase) 6,900 |||| Citi Double Cash 6,500 |||| Wells Fargo Platinum 6,000 |||| Chase Freedom Unlimited 5,700 |||| Paypal Credit 4,250 |||| Gap (Synchrony) 3,500 |||| Total CL: 98,850

EX: 812 |||| TU: 792 |||| EQ: 792 (As of Apr. 28, 2022)

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What are my approval odds for Chase Freedom Unlimited? 3 recent inq's.

3 should be enough for now.  Chase will be SPing you after the Prime approval.

I don't know that you will see that big of a drop but, it's posible considering your age right now.  My oldest card is 12.5 years and aaoa 5.5 years and I just added 5 cards in the last 2-3 months and only dropped 5-10 points.  So, it's possible you'll be back over 800 pretty quick.  

You have some significant spend to make to get your bonuses on Savor / BCP anyway.  Don't want to force spend to max out the 3% for the first 12 months if you don't have to.  

INQ's don't matter w/ Chase... new accounts do.  That's the whole premise of 5/24.  5 new accounts in 24 months is what it translates to.

Message 2 of 10
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@etatauri  garden till your youngest card is six months old

If you're under 5/24 at that time, go for it. 

Message 3 of 10
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

If it were a different lender, I would say you could probably go for it. But with Chase, it would be risky, especially considering that recent Amazon approval. I would wait a few months and not apply for anything else in the meantime. 

Good luck and congrats on those recent approvals!

Discover It: 26.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 6.5k
Message 4 of 10
etatauri
Established Member

I just wanted to report back and give an update in case future readers find it useful. Thank you for all the advice, even though I didn't follow them (I can be an ask-hole sometimes).

I did pull the trigger on the app. Exactly 30 days after my Amazon Prime card application I applied for the Chase FU. After a week of waiting, they called for verification, and at the end of the call I was approved for 5.7k. Not a huge amount compared to my other cards, but pretty decent! 

I'm pretty happy I have reached over 50k in combined CL, a pretty solid cash back foundation, and still at 4/25 in case I decide to go for a CSP/CSR for travelling later down the road.

Capital One Savor 20,000 |||| Chase Sapphire Preferred 15,000 |||| American Express Blue Cash Preferred 11,000 |||| Venmo 10,000 |||| Macy's Amex 10,000 |||| Amazon Prime Signature Visa (Chase) 6,900 |||| Citi Double Cash 6,500 |||| Wells Fargo Platinum 6,000 |||| Chase Freedom Unlimited 5,700 |||| Paypal Credit 4,250 |||| Gap (Synchrony) 3,500 |||| Total CL: 98,850

EX: 812 |||| TU: 792 |||| EQ: 792 (As of Apr. 28, 2022)

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on your approval. I was going to suggest going in branch to see if you had any pre-approvals but you've already pulled the trigger with awesome results.

I finally got in with Chase last month. Chase FU in branch approval. I also want the CSR but am going to wait 6 months.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice starting limit. Chase approved me for a FU card a year ago with $3,000, still no CLI after a year though. I recently switched it to a standard Freedom card because there's more value with the quarterly 5% offers than having multiple 1.5%+ cards.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approval and nice SL! Enjoy!

Message 8 of 10
MyFault
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the Chase FU! That's likely going to be my next card so i can pool points with my CSP. But unfortunately with my recent spree, i'm waiting at least 6 months so i can get a strong SL. Chase seems to be stingy with their CLI's.

|  
Message 9 of 10
calyx
Super Contributor

Congrats on the approval!

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.