cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

01/01/13 Who is apping for Amex? What is your profile?

tag
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Re: 01/01/13 Who is apping for Amex? What is your profile?

@lionsfan20 wrote:

IM almost 100 percent sure you wont get a year backdated..so if you got it in october..your new card will only show as being 3 months old..not a whole year

yeah more explain please......did you know something that we dont ????

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 11 of 56
lionsfan20
Regular Contributor

As far as I know it will show the year and month of the backdate but as far as the calculation of the aoaa..it will only show the backdate to the original card..so like if you applied for a card in december and now will apply tommorow..it will show the 2012 on new card but the aoaa will use the 1 month that it actually aged.

I could be wrong but thats what ive read

Message 12 of 56
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

Yup. I got 3 new lines. Util is 9% reporting on one card.
2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 13 of 56
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

The new card will be date at 1 / 12.
Member at 2012 and 1 is month you apply. I get one year.
2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 14 of 56
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@armbenderc wrote:

+1 

got my  AMEX blue in  12/11... got  zync in jan/12, back dated to  1/11 automaticly even after one month of having the blue card. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 15 of 56
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@lionsfan20 wrote:

As far as I know it will show the year and month of the backdate but as far as the calculation of the aoaa..it will only show the backdate to the original card..so like if you applied for a card in december and now will apply tommorow..it will show the 2012 on new card but the aoaa will use the 1 month that it actually aged.

I could be wrong but thats what ive read

It wasn't read here on this forum I don't think, armbender is correct from what we know:

- Your account opening year is the year on any future Amex (assuming backdating)

- The month that you open the new, additional account is the month of opening.

So in my case obtaining a Zync in September '12, if I were to apply in Jan '13, I would receive the year from my Zync, and the month from the application.  As a result, the opening date would be 1/12.

This is historically how it's worked, and unless it changed in the last few months it should still be the same from the information available here on this forum.

        
Message 16 of 56
bs6054
Valued Contributor

I don't think lionsfan was disputing the Member Since stuff, he/she was suggesting that it didn't fully carry over to the AAoA calculation.

My guess is that is not the case, as the CR shows the Member Since date, so the algorithm would have to be tweaked just for Amex cards, and i doubt that happens.

However, it IS strange in the case being discussed, where the new card is "backdated" to 1/12, before the user had ANY Amex.   Why don't they just backdate to the date of the older card, which seems more logical and as easy

Although of course, the whole thing is illogical!  As I've remarked before, this must make more work for other lenders, who have to determine if the AAoA is really accurate.  Similarly for Amex SP for denials for existing card holders.   Other lenders depend on HPs from all potential lenders to determine if the customer is desperate for credit.  Amex hides this from them, while getting the benefit of full info from other lenders....

Message 17 of 56
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@bs6054 wrote:

I don't think lionsfan was disputing the Member Since stuff, he/she was suggesting that it didn't fully carry over to the AAoA calculation.

My guess is that is not the case, as the CR shows the Member Since date, so the algorithm would have to be tweaked just for Amex cards, and i doubt that happens.

However, it IS strange in the case being discussed, where the new card is "backdated" to 1/12, before the user had ANY Amex.   Why don't they just backdate to the date of the older card, which seems more logical and as easy

Although of course, the whole thing is illogical!  As I've remarked before, this must make more work for other lenders, who have to determine if the AAoA is really accurate.  Similarly for Amex SP for denials for existing card holders.   Other lenders depend on HPs from all potential lenders to determine if the customer is desperate for credit.  Amex hides this from them, while getting the benefit of full info from other lenders....

American Express was founded in 1850.

I'm not certain when they introduced their charge and credit cards; however, I suspect it was much easier for them to track the year of the opening account, rather than specifically down to explicit month or date.  

At some point they switched through likely successive cycles in their application backend, and today it would be trivial to do, but they have been in existsance and presumably this practice extends to before the information age.

        
Message 18 of 56
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@bs6054 wrote:

American Express was founded in 1850.

I'm not certain when they introduced their charge and credit cards; however, I suspect it was much easier for them to track the year of the opening account, rather than specifically down to explicit month or date.  

At some point they switched through likely successive cycles in their application backend, and today it would be trivial to do, but they have been in existsance and presumably this practice extends to before the information age.

Amex charge cards started 1958 and credit 1987.  Since they needed computers to track spending and payments I can't believe that they couldn't keep month as well, but perhaps it wasn't considered important.  But whatever the reason, still a little strange but I guess no pressure to change.

Message 19 of 56
adavis425
Established Contributor

@armbenderc wrote:

Yup. You get the year of original card with month of new app. Tomorrow will be 1/2012 ( for an AMEX obtained ths year).

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 20 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.