cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 missed payment crashed my score!...is this normal?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

1 missed payment crashed my score!...is this normal?

I recently moved and missed a payment on my Kohls card b/c I forgot to change the mailing address and overlooked the email alert. I have NEVER missed a payment on any account EVER.  However, the measly $34 I owed dropped my score 75 points in one shot! Is this normal? Is there anything I can do about it?

I have since paid the balance, had the late fee removed and it appears Kohls has put my account back in good standing according to my ScoreWatch account. But no score increase! I'm really bummed because I've spent the last 2 years really working on paying down debt and raised my score over 100 points. To have all that undone by one missed payment really hurts. Smiley Sad

Just wondering if there's anything I can do about it and/or if anyone knows how long it might take to get my score back up. Thanks a bunch!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
vish1
Valued Contributor

Re: 1 missed payment crashed my score!...is this normal?

@Anonymous wrote:

I recently moved and missed a payment on my Kohls card b/c I forgot to change the mailing address and overlooked the email alert. I have NEVER missed a payment on any account EVER.  However, the measly $34 I owed dropped my score 75 points in one shot! Is this normal? Is there anything I can do about it?

I have since paid the balance, had the late fee removed and it appears Kohls has put my account back in good standing according to my ScoreWatch account. But no score increase! I'm really bummed because I've spent the last 2 years really working on paying down debt and raised my score over 100 points. To have all that undone by one missed payment really hurts. Smiley Sad

Just wondering if there's anything I can do about it and/or if anyone knows how long it might take to get my score back up. Thanks a bunch!

75 points? sure. I lost close to 100 when I missed the payment on same card. My miss was about 25$ and my total CL on all cards is more than 60k.

Luckily in my case it was their error so I got my score back.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 2 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Unfortunately, this is pretty standard.  While the actual drop may vary by each individuals' credit file depending on they type of adverse action (e.g. late payment reporting, collection items, etc.) the score will dramatically suffer as a result.  As the lender was not at fault with reporting accurate information, the only method to improve it is by rebuilding a good payment history.  There is no magic formula to determine specifically when the score will return before the drop, only time can be your best guidance.

Some folks may chime some suggestions and/or offer a goodwill letter to the lender to "possibly" remove the derogatory item; however, since the adverse action was not caused by the lender (i.e. factual reporting), this may prove futile.

Message 3 of 11
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Considering the above info, you might want to call them and plead your case about the mailing mix up. Being you're a good customer and have never been late etc.  They may just remove it if you're nice about it and get the right person.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 4 of 11
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

I had a co-worker that had this happened to, and she called.  Short of the long is, they removed the 30 day

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 5 of 11
compassion101
Established Contributor

@RyVision wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Considering the above info, you might want to call them and plead your case about the mailing mix up. Being you're a good customer and have never been late etc.  They may just remove it if you're nice about it and get the right person.

+1. Keep calling until you get a sympathetic ear. I'd call a few times a week till I find someone who will do what you need done. Your good history is on your side and you should fight for keeping a solid credit rating

Message 6 of 11
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

I would call them. Be nice and be honest about your mistake. Take responsibility.

I once had a 30-day late removed when I neglected to pay a cc bill for an annual fee. I knew I hadn't charged anything, so I didn't even open the bill. I called them (different company), apologized, told them what happened, talked about what a good customer I had been. They removed the 30-day late.

It's worth a phone call.

Message 7 of 11
LisaJ
Frequent Contributor

Yes,  I had a similar incident only mine was for being short on an auto pay by $2.39 (yes; TWO DOLLARS and thirty nine cents!) and my score plummetted. I rweceoved NO alerts, no mail, nothing. It was an obvious error, but Orchard Bank would do nothing for me.  I dropped 72 points and until Capital One took over Orchard (and I cancelled!) no one did anything.  Cap One removed it after some emails, but it was almost a year, and I still am not where I was.

I'm sorry.  it sucks when something that you didn't do deliberately causes this kind of issue.  Smiley Sad

+1 on calling until you get a sympathetic ear.  While it didn't work for me, I'd definitely give it a shot.

WOW! EQ when I joined myFICO: 657. Ups and downs and a few bumps and bruises, but finally back over 700. Whew!

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oy! Thanks folks. I will try a phone call. Hopefully I get someone who's got some holiday spirit!

Message 9 of 11
HiLine
Blogger

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.