Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2013 Discover it card?

tag
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

2013 Discover it card?

I just saw some reviews and comparison charts vs the chase freedom, and I think it's a very good cash back card. 

I saw the chart on this blog here: http://creditcardforum.com/blog/discover-it-card-review/

Right now I am sitting at 5 cards, I was thinking about just passing on the Discover It card, but after much thought I might try it out.

My #1 cash back card right now it's Chase Freedom who has been exceptionally great, couldn't be happier if you asked me.

On a side note, how does the Discover Mobile App compare to Chase Mobile App? I think Chase has the best mobile app right now because it lets you check your rewards and it's really neat and has tons of useful features.

BTW I am sitting at 5 credit cards right now, recently got the NFL Barclays card that offered $400 statement credit for $1000 spent (from fatwallet), not sure if this will hurt my chances of getting approved, this was a month ago and this offer from Discover It came in the mail the other day.

With all of that said, should I go for the new Discover card?

EQ: 768 TU: 769 EXP: 805
Ritz Carlton: 18k
CSP: 7K | Chase Freedom: 5.7K
MERRILL+® VS: 9K | BOA AMEX: 1K
BOA 123: 7K Discover IT: 6K | Discover Chrome 4K | Costco AMEX: 15K | AMEX PRG NPSL | AMEX BCE 15K | Barclay NFL: 4.9K | Citi TYP 7K | Amazon Chase 1.7K | Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K | Citi DC 5K | FNBO AMEX 4.8K | CAP 1 QS 10K | U.S. Bank Cash+ VS 5K |U.S. Bank Perks+ VS 6K
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

Re: 2013 Discover it card?

the discover app is really good. I like it better than the chase app. 

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 2 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

that's funny was just looking at a comparison for Discover it and Freedom and USBank Cash and although Freedom is better right now (I'm currently using) I think we need to make a switch to a 0% for a bit to get through the next few months of not paying in full and really leaning towards the Discover since new Slate and Citi were opened for a BT and for another purchase card.... need a 0% to replace using the freedom.... wish it was still 18 months like a few months ago but other then citi i don't think anyone is offering more than the 14 months 0% for purchase, only BT on other cards.... 

Am I right in this thinking that 14 months 0% purchase is best out right now if not getting another Citi or maybe a second slate but don't think that is possible?

Message 3 of 11
jakemod1
Regular Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

that's funny was just looking at a comparison for Discover it and Freedom and USBank Cash and although Freedom is better right now (I'm currently using) I think we need to make a switch to a 0% for a bit to get through the next few months of not paying in full and really leaning towards the Discover since new Slate and Citi were opened for a BT and for another purchase card.... need a 0% to replace using the freedom.... wish it was still 18 months like a few months ago but other then citi i don't think anyone is offering more than the 14 months 0% for purchase, only BT on other cards.... 

Am I right in this thinking that 14 months 0% purchase is best out right now if not getting another Citi or maybe a second slate but don't think that is possible?

If I'm not mistaken, and I just checked by googling, Discover is still offering their 0% APR on BTs for 18 months, although its only 6 months for purchases. creditcards dot org has a link on their website for the application.

Discover IT: $20,5k | Chase Freedom: $5k | CSP: $7k | Amex BCE: $25k | BofA Cash Rewards: $12,4k | Citi DC: $8,4k | Cap1 QS: $6k | Commence: $11k | US Bank Cash+: $8k | Macy's Amex $5k | Kohl's: $3k
Message 4 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@jakemod1 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, and I just checked by googling, Discover is still offering their 0% APR on BTs for 18 months, although its only 6 months for purchases. creditcards dot org has a link on their website for the application.

I need the purchases... So 14 months is best then?

Message 5 of 11
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

I have had the Chase Freedom for a while, I never carry any balances, everything is paid in full, so the interest doesn't really matter, I am looking for the card that offers the best cash back and it appears Discover is stealing the throne with this new card.

Hard decision...

EQ: 768 TU: 769 EXP: 805
Ritz Carlton: 18k
CSP: 7K | Chase Freedom: 5.7K
MERRILL+® VS: 9K | BOA AMEX: 1K
BOA 123: 7K Discover IT: 6K | Discover Chrome 4K | Costco AMEX: 15K | AMEX PRG NPSL | AMEX BCE 15K | Barclay NFL: 4.9K | Citi TYP 7K | Amazon Chase 1.7K | Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K | Citi DC 5K | FNBO AMEX 4.8K | CAP 1 QS 10K | U.S. Bank Cash+ VS 5K |U.S. Bank Perks+ VS 6K
Message 6 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@IcEWoLF wrote:

I have had the Chase Freedom for a while, I never carry any balances, everything is paid in full, so the interest doesn't really matter, I am looking for the card that offers the best cash back and it appears Discover is stealing the throne with this new card.

Hard decision...

It depends on what categories your spending is in and if the max of $1500 in that big category is going to make it worth it vs. just getting a true 1 to 1 kind of thing.

all I know is we shop a ton with Amazon because of Prime and easy order, subscribe and save and returns and the discover is able to use rewards instantly with check out on amazon and it just seemed easy and perfect.

I think the Blue Cash Prefferred would net us MUCH more but not the card to carry a balance and not the APR to do it.

and since USBank I think has made at least 1 change to the rewards and Freedom has done some changes and the fact the freedom im currently using isn't new and isn't 0% and doesn't have the limit to make it helpful if not paying in full the discover I think gets higher up on my list for what's best right now for next 3-6 months.

Message 7 of 11
jakemod1
Regular Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@jakemod1 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

Yes, sorry, I misread your post. 14 months is the best for Discover other than Citi on purchases.

Discover IT: $20,5k | Chase Freedom: $5k | CSP: $7k | Amex BCE: $25k | BofA Cash Rewards: $12,4k | Citi DC: $8,4k | Cap1 QS: $6k | Commence: $11k | US Bank Cash+: $8k | Macy's Amex $5k | Kohl's: $3k
Message 8 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@jakemod1 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@jakemod1 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

Yes, sorry, I misread your post. 14 months is the best for Discover other than Citi on purchases.

Just saw Capital One has a no rewards card offering 14 months... but ya... WHY would you go Capital One when you can have Discover! Smiley Tongue

Message 9 of 11
jakemod1
Regular Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@jakemod1 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@jakemod1 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

Just saw Capital One has a no rewards card offering 14 months... but ya... WHY would you go Capital One when you can have Discover! Smiley Tongue

Yes, my thoughts exactly! 5% cashback and 1% on everything else, easy to navigate mobile app, great online shopping mall and an outstanding customer service vs no rewards CC. Although I can't diss Cap1 too much since they did grant my CLI request. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.