Did you mean: 

5/24 Strategy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 5/24 Strategy

@coreysw12 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My understanding of Chase 5/24 is that you cannot have opened 5 or more of the revolver accounts that Chase counts in the last 24 months.

Does somebody here know if it's "5 or more", or "more than 5" (6 or more)?

5 or more.

I did respond incorrectly though.

Going strictly and only by 5/24 rules the original poster could get 2 more personal cards not one as I stated.

One new card would bring him or her to 4, then one more after that to 5 at which point done.

Could get more cards than that if small business card, but approval bar for small business cards is very high now.

Message 11 of 18
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@coreysw12 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My understanding of Chase 5/24 is that you cannot have opened 5 or more of the revolver accounts that Chase counts in the last 24 months.

5 or more.

Going strictly and only by 5/24 rules the original poster could get 2 more personal cards not one as I stated.

One new card would bring him or her to 4, then one more after that to 5 at which point done.

Could get more cards than that if small business card, but approval bar for small business cards is very high now.

Thanks, that's what I always figured but never really knew for sure. I'm 4/24 currently so it was in the back of my mind wondering if I could get another card (with a different bank) and then still get a chase card when I'm then 5/24, but it sound like no. That reaffirms that I need to stay in the garden for another 352 days (but who's counting)

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@coreysw12 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@coreysw12 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

5 or more.

Thanks, that's what I always figured but never really knew for sure. I'm 4/24 currently so it was in the back of my mind wondering if I could get another card (with a different bank) and then still get a chase card when I'm then 5/24, but it sound like no. That reaffirms that I need to stay in the garden for another 352 days (but who's counting)

I do stand behind my guidance to proceed with extreme caution.

Second half of 2020 is going to be brutal.

More layoffs to come.

Also there is a poll going around that 77 percent of furloughed / laid-off workers will return to their old employers. That is wildly, wildly optimistic.

Employers will rejoice at falling labor prices, but that will be net bad for them given that that will mean customer's income will fall for business to consumer businesses.

High tax states will almost certainly raise taxes higher to deal with Corona at some point.

Message 13 of 18
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

For sure. Thankfully my employment is stable, but the fact that unemployment among society as a whole is sure to drop, is going to make a big mess of things.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 14 of 18
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

During this time I know a lot of credit card companies are being a lot more strict with credit card applications. I'm currently 3/24, and I want to finish my 5/24 with Chase. Currently I'm at TU - 753, EQ - 740, EX - 695 (1 collection just wont go away.) I recently added the Amex BPP, I believe that doesnt count towards 5/24. What chase cards do you think should be added to complete 5/24? Or should I just scratch the last 2 for other cards? Looking mostly for Reward points. My cards are as follows;

Navy Amex - $22,000

Navy Flagship - $21,300

Navy CashRewards - $5,000

Sapphire Preferred - $7,700

Ink Business Preffered - $8,000

Ink Business Cash - $12,000

Freedom Unlimited - $5,000

Amex Blue Cash - $1,000

Capital One Quicksilver - $1,400

Quicksilver One - 750

Wells Fargo - $300 

Sidenote: I was planning on downgrading the Sapphire Preferred to a freedom card after a year, 5 months to go. The yearly fee I dont belive is worth it if i have ink business preferred.

You have a very interesting mix of cards.  True, the INK Business Preferred is more of a duplicate of the Sapphire Preferred, but why not keep the CSP instead?   Do you have a lot of business spend or are you trying to keep those charges off your personal credit report?   There are downsides to using business cards for personal spend, including the loss of some consumer protections.  Moreover, you don't get the benefit of the card reporting usage or age to your personal report.

I was going to suggest the Freedom until you said you planned to downgrade.  I have the CSR-CF-CFU-INK Cash.  The INK Cash started out as an INK Preferred which I got for the higher 100K SUB and later downgraded to the CASH.  The CASH fit my spend better and has no AF.  That quadfecta serves me well.  I don't know your spend but have you thought of upgrading the CSP to the CSR and then applying for the Freedom?  (And you could close the INK Preferred, combine limits with CASH since Chase will do that but only between business-business or personal-personal accounts.  OR ... you could PC the PREFERRED to the INK UNLIMITED with no AF.)   If you're going for a "fecta" with Chase, there really isn't a lot of difference between the CSP and CSR in the effective AF, depending on how you can use the credits.  You get a LOT of value for that small difference in fee*, including the 50% bonus valuation in UR points for UR travel redemptions instead of the 25% you get now.   (*I know it sounds like a lot of difference in AF but when you do the math with the credits and additional benefits offset, it can come out a lot closer than you might have thought.)

Chase has great co-branded hotel and airline cards.  I would check those out.  The current SUBs on the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless (75K Bonvoy points) and World of Hyatt (50K Hyatt points) which I added in my spree are worth $600 and $850 respectively in hotel points.  Plus each pays high value in hotel spend and each gives you a free night annually, more than paying for the AF.  They have a good IHG card, Southwest and United cards, and some awesome AVIOS flyer bonus points with cards from British Airways, Iberia, and Aer Lingus.  (Avios can be exchanged for ONE WORLD partners including Amerian.) 

If none of this interests you, do you have an Amazon PRIME membership and shop there a lot?  Chase's Amazon card pays 5% back on Amazon Prime purchases as well as at Whole Foods and has no AF.   Plus it has 2% back at gas stations, restaurants and drug stores, which could be attractive depending on your other cards.

Chase Amazon might not be a bad way to go at all. For a store card they give it a decent SL (8k-14k). Amazon doesn't qualify as a streaming service on the Chase Freedom even though I use it mostly for Prime Video through my Fire Stick. Showtime also codes as an Amazon product if you subscribe through the stick. Amazon doesn't do a lot in the way of affiliate marketing so that 5% is about as good as it gets and discount is comparable to the type of value one can get out of a US Bank Cash+ 5% category. Then you can take 12 or 24 month financing on purchases with it which is nice if you want to renovate/furnish a house and maintain cashflow.

Its an easy approval I think if you are 700+ and already have a proven relationship with Chase.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 15 of 18
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@coreysw12 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@coreysw12 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

5 or more.

More layoffs to come.

Also there is a poll going around that 77 percent of furloughed / laid-off workers will return to their old employers. That is wildly, wildly optimistic.

Employers will rejoice at falling labor prices, but that will be net bad for them given that that will mean customer's income will fall for business to consumer businesses.

High tax states will almost certainly raise taxes higher to deal with Corona at some point.

Yes and for every laid-off worker there is another one having to swallow a pay cut. Those who are not taking cuts will probably find they won't end up with a raise next year. Tax hikes might be 5 years off though as the priority is going to be spending to get everyone back to work first to boost revenues.

I consider all the people on here smart no matter where they are on their credit journey because they have a heads up while 90% do not and are going to find their cards closed and homes foreclosed on.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@coreysw12 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@coreysw12 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

5 or more.

More layoffs to come.

@Anonymous definitely, I'm very fortunate to still be employed. just trying to figure out the best way to use my last 2 for 5/24. Im definitely considering the amazon prime card now

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Citylights18 wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

During this time I know a lot of credit card companies are being a lot more strict with credit card applications. I'm currently 3/24, and I want to finish my 5/24 with Chase. Currently I'm at TU - 753, EQ - 740, EX - 695 (1 collection just wont go away.) I recently added the Amex BPP, I believe that doesnt count towards 5/24. What chase cards do you think should be added to complete 5/24? Or should I just scratch the last 2 for other cards? Looking mostly for Reward points. My cards are as follows;

Navy Amex - $22,000

Navy Flagship - $21,300

Navy CashRewards - $5,000

Sapphire Preferred - $7,700

Ink Business Preffered - $8,000

Ink Business Cash - $12,000

Freedom Unlimited - $5,000

Amex Blue Cash - $1,000

Capital One Quicksilver - $1,400

Quicksilver One - 750

Wells Fargo - $300 

Sidenote: I was planning on downgrading the Sapphire Preferred to a freedom card after a year, 5 months to go. The yearly fee I dont belive is worth it if i have ink business preferred.

You have a very interesting mix of cards.  True, the INK Business Preferred is more of a duplicate of the Sapphire Preferred, but why not keep the CSP instead?   Do you have a lot of business spend or are you trying to keep those charges off your personal credit report?   There are downsides to using business cards for personal spend, including the loss of some consumer protections.  Moreover, you don't get the benefit of the card reporting usage or age to your personal report.

I was going to suggest the Freedom until you said you planned to downgrade.  I have the CSR-CF-CFU-INK Cash.  The INK Cash started out as an INK Preferred which I got for the higher 100K SUB and later downgraded to the CASH.  The CASH fit my spend better and has no AF.  That quadfecta serves me well.  I don't know your spend but have you thought of upgrading the CSP to the CSR and then applying for the Freedom?  (And you could close the INK Preferred, combine limits with CASH since Chase will do that but only between business-business or personal-personal accounts.  OR ... you could PC the PREFERRED to the INK UNLIMITED with no AF.)   If you're going for a "fecta" with Chase, there really isn't a lot of difference between the CSP and CSR in the effective AF, depending on how you can use the credits.  You get a LOT of value for that small difference in fee*, including the 50% bonus valuation in UR points for UR travel redemptions instead of the 25% you get now.   (*I know it sounds like a lot of difference in AF but when you do the math with the credits and additional benefits offset, it can come out a lot closer than you might have thought.)

Chase has great co-branded hotel and airline cards.  I would check those out.  The current SUBs on the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless (75K Bonvoy points) and World of Hyatt (50K Hyatt points) which I added in my spree are worth $600 and $850 respectively in hotel points.  Plus each pays high value in hotel spend and each gives you a free night annually, more than paying for the AF.  They have a good IHG card, Southwest and United cards, and some awesome AVIOS flyer bonus points with cards from British Airways, Iberia, and Aer Lingus.  (Avios can be exchanged for ONE WORLD partners including Amerian.) 

If none of this interests you, do you have an Amazon PRIME membership and shop there a lot?  Chase's Amazon card pays 5% back on Amazon Prime purchases as well as at Whole Foods and has no AF.   Plus it has 2% back at gas stations, restaurants and drug stores, which could be attractive depending on your other cards.

Chase Amazon might not be a bad way to go at all. For a store card they give it a decent SL (8k-14k). Amazon doesn't qualify as a streaming service on the Chase Freedom even though I use it mostly for Prime Video through my Fire Stick. Showtime also codes as an Amazon product if you subscribe through the stick. Amazon doesn't do a lot in the way of affiliate marketing so that 5% is about as good as it gets and discount is comparable to the type of value one can get out of a US Bank Cash+ 5% category. Then you can take 12 or 24 month financing on purchases with it which is nice if you want to renovate/furnish a house and maintain cashflow.

Its an easy approval I think if you are 700+ and already have a proven relationship with Chase.

@Citylights18 I think you sold me on the prime card. Do you think I can use the chase version of it with a business amazon account? Hopefully they're not super strict. not really interested in the amex chase version at this point.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.