5% CB for GEICO, which card?

tag
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

5% CB for GEICO, which card?

Curious if anyone is getting 5% back on GEICO insurance, and if so:

Which card are you using?

What category are you choosing?

I am thinking the best that can be had for GEICO is 3%, but I wanted to poll the MF Family to see Smiley Happy

Potential Future Cards
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: 5% CB for GEICO, which card?

I am not getting 5% (usually Delta Reserve), but one thing it seems doesn't always get taken into account is that GEICO offers a 10% Paid In Full Discount if you don't use one of their payment plans.  Saves me about $400 a year!  Certainly worth taking into consideration (and combining with credit card rewards) if someone is set up to have monthly (or less frequent) billing.

Message 2 of 24
C6
Regular Contributor

Ford rewards Visa offers 3% back on insurance plus an extra $200 annual reward if you spend $6000. That is a net to the customer of 6.3% assuming the $6000 spend.

Message 3 of 24
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

Insurance is one of those 1-off categories that there never seems to be much of a decent option other than general spend categories. I use my AOD card for my truck insurance (though not Geico). I think maybe the 5% SafeCU card has Insurance for a monthly category, but other than that, these are hard to find.

My Amex BCP has offered 3% on Insurance as a targeted offer one time, but no better than the AOD Card.

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 4 of 24
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

Have you thought about using the expense to meet the minimum spend for a signup bonus?  I recently applied for a card and met the minimum spend within 2 days by charging my car insurance premium.  Easy $500 SUB.

July 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, New Revolver
FICO8:
FICO9:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 37 yrs | AoYRA: less than 1 yr | New Accounts: 1/6, 1/12, 3/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 5 of 24
TSlop
Valued Contributor

@NoHardLimits wrote:

Have you thought about using the expense to meet the minimum spend for a signup bonus?  I recently applied for a card and met the minimum spend within 2 days by charging my car insurance premium.  Easy $500 SUB.

Do many insurance companies allow CCs for payment? I use Liberty Mutual, and I don't recall there being an option to use a CC for payment.

Message 6 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@NoHardLimits wrote:

Right, but this could be the answer to a question about any category spend!  If someone has several possible ways of meeting a SUB, you still want to consider other possibilities for each.   I would rather "earn" my SUB (perhaps getting 1%) on spend I would otherwise get 2% on, than on spend I could get 5% on.

Message 7 of 24
collics
Established Contributor

@TSlop wrote:

@NoHardLimits wrote:

Do many insurance companies allow CCs for payment? I use Liberty Mutual, and I don't recall there being an option to use a CC for payment.

GEICO definitely takes credit cards. They even accept Apple Pay. 
I pay them on my Apple Card via Apple Pay and get 2% back. 
----------

@NoHardLimits i think that is the best idea. Pay the premium in full to meet a new card sub offer OP. 

BK 7 FREE!
Newest to Oldest:

FICO8s Dec 2019

FICO8s Oct 31 2023
Message 8 of 24
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Given "the goal" cards in OPs signature, applying for a new account would postpone meeting those goals by another year. 

Chase isn't happening because of new accounts,, Go, same, Citi not happening due to new accounts, that only leaves Penfed but sub isn't $100 and @Wavester64  do you really need another 1.5%-2% cash back card?  I have no idea if Nusenda offers SUB. 

Also, Geico policies renew every six months, so that would be 4 cards in two years whenever premium is due, goal cards forever out of reach because there will be other apps. 

Pay full six months premium, collect 3% 

Message 9 of 24
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

Given "the goal" cards in OPs signature, applying for a new account would postpone meeting those goals by another year. 

Chase isn't happening because of new accounts,, Go, same, Citi not happening due to new accounts, that only leaves Penfed but sub isn't $100 and @Wavester64  do you really need another 1.5%-2% cash back card?  I have no idea if Nusenda offers SUB. 

Also, Geico policies renew every six months, so that would be 4 cards in two years whenever premium is due, goal cards forever out of reach because there will be other apps. 

Pay full six months premium, collect 3% 

Yeah, no new accounts needed (or wanted) at the moment. I'll just stick to 3% on GEICO using AOD. Just wanted to see if anyone else was doing better ATM Smiley Happy

Potential Future Cards
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.