cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A question for those with multiple credit cards.

tag
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Re: A question for those with multiple credit cards.

For me it's about maximizing returns across various categories, maintaining diversity among lenders and networks, and having access to a variety of benefits that I want (all of them are never available on just one card).

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 21 of 32
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

+1
Message 22 of 32
jestan01
Valued Member

In my case "5" was for the benefit of having a portfolio of different cards with different benefits. I'm done at 5. 

Message 23 of 32
Chris679
Established Contributor

I agree with all of these posts and I'll add one more reason. Having a bunch of cards puts me in a great position to negotiate better terms with each lender. For instance I call Chase and explain that I have 7 other cards with better rewards than Slate and if they don't PC to Freedom then I use those other cards to remodel my kitchen. Then I call discover and tell them that I keep utilization under 10% so their $3500 limit is holding back my spending. Constantly call whoever has the highest APR and if they won't lower it then guess what there are 7 other ones that already did. Always be polite but firm and make them earn your business.
Message 24 of 32
Chris679
Established Contributor

Also don't underestimate the revenge factor. I bet most of us had bad credit in the past. It's exactly the same as getting dumped by a girl and using that as motivation.
Message 25 of 32
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

I had 21 up until this past January.

My scores went up with each one, too.

I just app, get bonus, and then close before the AF hits.

That being said, I'll likely not app for as many cards going forward, as I have in the past.  After my repo falls off this year, I'll be able to have an even better selection of prime cards to choose from (Ie ALL of Chase Banks offerings), and will no longer look for the easy cards, just for the sake of rebuilding, like I did 2 years ago.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 26 of 32
aubie1kenobie2
Frequent Contributor

In my case, I started out with low limits because of a lack of a credit history. It would be easy to hit 10% util on a $750 CL card in one grocery store trip. Having multiple cards allowed me to spread it, and not have to pay multiple times before the statement so my score does not take a hit. Responsible use of these cards allowed me to get better ones eventually with decent limits. I have a few store cards (4) and I got them for the discounts given to cardholders (30% discount at Kohls, etc). I'm hoping that with a "thicker file", creditors will see that I have managed it well and I can get a decent car loan and eventually a mortgage later on.

Starting Score: No credit history in July 2013, 663 in August (lender pulled)
Current Score: 773 (Discover FICO), 749 (DCU EQ)
Ultimate goal: Buy a house in 2016!
Message 27 of 32
Cloudlb
Regular Contributor

Interersting topic and timely for me.  I don't want a slew of cards that I have to track and juggle, but it's important to have SOME. 

Another reason for me:  some cards have intro 0% APRs, which are handy if you are planning to make a big purchase, for which payments can be spread over a few months with no interest. 

Message 28 of 32
saving_grace16
New Contributor

I know that for me it was because of a lack of understanding of how to use credit.  I picked up the majority of my cards when I was in college, and just recently closed many of them that I haven't used in years.  I'm reorganizing my credit portfolio and trying to only keep the ones I will actually use from here on out.  

Message 29 of 32
clocktick
Valued Contributor

When I had a lot of baddies I tried to really open any card I could get.

Nowadays, I just try to take advantage of point and cash offerings.  For instance, I had 4 Hilton HHonor cards and racked up a ton of points.  I opened 2 Hawaiian Airline cards and one Virgin Atlantic card just so I could get the points and transfer them into Hilton points.  The list goes on.  Those with annual fees, if I don't use them anymore, I close before they hit.  Some I just kept open because it can't hurt but I don't really use them - so there's no juggling.

Perfect example...

In 2 weeks we are taking a trip to Costa Rica paid for by Hilton points "earned" from just cards.  I believe it was $95 to book an all-inclusive resort.  Then we used United points to book the 2 round-trip tickets (with the free bags!).  I think we had to pay around $20 there.  Then we decided to book a car rental that the DW used her Discover card rewards for.  So basically for under $150 we're having a nice "paid" for vacation, food included with a rental car and round-trip flight from NY.  This is just one example.

The sign-up bonuses are really decent on some cards if they're of use to you.  One can really earn free trips/flights/cash just from sign-up bonuses ad maximizing points.

Other cards, such as the Freedom/BCP/Lowes, etc. give cashback or discounts when you use them.  In my mind, why NOT have multiple cards?  Smiley Wink

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.