Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADVICE ON CLOSING CARDS

tag
AdamH83
Established Member

ADVICE ON CLOSING CARDS

Hello all,

I just closed on my mortgage today (NFCU) they were amazing throughout the enitre process. Closed in 35 days from the time of my app to the close and that included 2 holidays!

My profile exists of the following scores and cards.

FICO 8 all 695+

FICO 8 Bank 688 711 714

FICO 8 AUTO all over 700

FICO 9 636 610 600

FICO 9 BANK 632 609 600

FICO 9 AUTO 635 595 601

I gave a ram back in february of 2019 

average age of accouunts 4.5 years. longest is AU on a kohls card of my grandmas that hasnt had a balance in probably a decade

CARDS

fingerhut 0/1400

credit 1    0/400

credit 1    0/1500

total visa  0/300

Kohls        100/1500

chase amazon              50/5500

Amex BCP                      0/5000

NFCU                             46/3500

Apple                             200/1500

lowes                               0/500

care credit                       0/2000

cap one qs                     500/5500

discover a/u                 1300/8000 

CAP one auto loan 25,500 @3.99 with a co

I also have 7 student loans totaling 23000 with probably 14-15K that should be wiped due to unfair practices

I have 7 late payments on each student loan account. 

I have paid off all baddies and the repoed truck.

i make about 130-150K depending on bonuses. 

i want to cancel  the credit one accounts, fingerhut, and the total visa. 

I have plenty of cash aside to spend on whatever, roughly 25-30K to either pay off student loans or just keep in the bank. I pay in full each month with leaving a balance here and there sometimes. never over 5% at most

just looking for advice on how to bring those FICO 9 scores up!. I dont want to do any additonal damage. most of the good cards are all under a year old with some as recent as this week

10 REPLIES 10
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

Re: ADVICE ON CLOSING CARDS

@AdamH83 wrote:

Hello all,

I just closed on my mortgage today (NFCU) they were amazing throughout the enitre process. Closed in 35 days from the time of my app to the close and that included 2 holidays!

My profile exists of the following scores and cards.

FICO 8 all 695+

FICO 8 Bank 688 711 714

FICO 8 AUTO all over 700

FICO 9 636 610 600

FICO 9 BANK 632 609 600

FICO 9 AUTO 635 595 601

I gave a ram back in february of 2019 

average age of accouunts 4.5 years. longest is AU on a kohls card of my grandmas that hasnt had a balance in probably a decade

CARDS

fingerhut 0/1400

credit 1    0/400

credit 1    0/1500

total visa  0/300

Kohls        100/1500

chase amazon              50/5500

Amex BCP                      0/5000

NFCU                             46/3500

Apple                             200/1500

lowes                               0/500

care credit                       0/2000

cap one qs                     500/5500

CAP one auto loan 25,500 @3.99 with a co

I also have 7 student loans totaling 23000 with probably 14-15K that should be wiped due to unfair practices

I have 7 late payments on each student loan account. 

I have paid off all baddies and the repoed truck.

i make about 130-150K depending on bonuses. 

i want to cancel  the credit one accounts, fingerhut, and the total visa. 

I have plenty of cash aside to spend on whatever, roughly 25-30K to either pay off student loans or just keep in the bank. I pay in full each month with leaving a balance here and there sometimes. never over 5% at most

just looking for advice on how to bring those FICO 9 scores up!. I dont want to do any additonal damage. most of the good cards are all under a year old with some as recent as this week

As long as late payments show on your file unfortunately is going to impact your score! Other then that AZEO to bring up 20+ points for couple of months but that is not sustainable long term.

You have bunch of cards highlighted in RED that soon or later you going to get rid of them.

Lows CC is very low limit for that store! Cancel it if they are not given you CLI

I would recommend to get a 2% card for your basic everyday use to replace QS. Something like FNBO Evergreen or your own Discover it with 2% 1st year.

You have new inq, new CCs that needs time to bring your score up!

At this point close any CC that you don't see useful in long term. As you know, they are going to report for next 10 years...

Message 2 of 11
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Based on my preferences and spending habits here is what I would close:

CARDS

fingerhut 

credit 1    

credit 1    

total visa  

Apple

I would also close the Lowes store card unless you need things for the house.  What you decide to do depends on your own preferences and spending habits.  

FICO 8:
Goal: Gardening!
Message 3 of 11
AdamH83
Established Member

I was going to close all those with the exception of Apple. Reason being, and this may not be the way this works. My fico 9. That's what GS pulled to issue the card. 

I didn't know if it helps my fico 9. Which is a struggling score, to get it back up over 700. 

I just snagged the Lowe's card as I just closed on my mortgage. I'm going to max it then PIF for a couple months and see what they say. 

I'll be spending somewhere between 25-35K on doing some work to the house. I can lay in cash but figured why not use the card to help my score. I need some dental work as well so I'll probably keep the care credit for the tome being 

Message 4 of 11
AdamH83
Established Member

The Amex blue cash with 5K limit will be my everyday card for sure. The others will see use here and there. I have a 12 year old who's growing at an insane rate. So the cash back in rewards there and some small things for the house make sense. Also NFCU uses fico 9. Those scores are 100 points lower then my fico 8 bank and auto 

Message 5 of 11
AdamH83
Established Member

The Amex blue cash preferred with 5K limit will be my everyday card for sure. The others will see use here and there. I have a 12 year old who's growing at an insane rate. So the cash back in rewards there and some small things for the house make sense. Also NFCU uses fico 9. Those scores are 100 points lower then my fico 8 bank and auto 

Message 6 of 11
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@AdamH83 wrote:

I was going to close all those with the exception of Apple. Reason being, and this may not be the way this works. My fico 9. That's what GS pulled to issue the card. 

I didn't know if it helps my fico 9. Which is a struggling score, to get it back up over 700. 

I just snagged the Lowe's card as I just closed on my mortgage. I'm going to max it then PIF for a couple months and see what they say. 

I'll be spending somewhere between 25-35K on doing some work to the house. I can lay in cash but figured why not use the card to help my score. I need some dental work as well so I'll probably keep the care credit for the tome being 

I'm not sure how the FICO Scoring works.  If you would use the card keep it...  My personal finance philosophy is that I don't finance toys.  If I can't pay in cash for a toy then I can just wait or find a cheaper alternative.  I'm a professor part time and I do all my work for the university on a $200 HP laptop that I picked up on Cyber Monday.  But again that is personal preference.  

FICO 8:
Goal: Gardening!
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AdamH83  My advice is to never close an account. Open accounts add padding and longevity to your profile. But if closing a few accounts is a must, I would only close the sub prime major cards, and retail store cards only. Prime major cards would stay with me forever. 

Message 8 of 11
RSX
Valued Contributor

i would close these ones

and get dropped off the Discover as an AU

CARDS

fingerhut 0/1400

credit 1    0/400

credit 1    0/1500

total visa  0/300

DROP

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 9 of 11
AdamH83
Established Member

I won't close and major prime ones. Each care I run a few bucks through each month. Mainly I use the cap one, NFCU and apple at work  we have a bistro so I use it for lunch and gas. Nothing else. Never used discover and haven't touched the finger or subprime in over a year 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.