tag
GatorCowboyLion
Regular Contributor

AMEX BCE upgrade to BCP

We just got this offer:
AMEX BCE upgrade to BCP

Earn $150 from $1000 spend within 6 months

AF waived first year.

I know on a previous thread @longtimelurker said that he has taken this offer several times and downgraded before the AF comes due the after 12 months without penalty. Seems like a win-win? My only concerns are: is there an HP? (We're gardening for a mortgage) And is this a lock offer or could it possibly be declined when I push it through? Also, does it change the card number? I assume the account info is all the same, doesn't lose history etc.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX BCE upgrade to BCP

Since the AF is waived, it is a good offer. These upgrade offers would show up regulary and there is no HP. You may take it now and after a year, you may downgrade to BCE.

No change in the card number and they will ship a new card with updated expiration date.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 2 of 13
GatorCowboyLion
Regular Contributor

Thank you. Done. I just requested the upgrade and it went through. I'm stoked. There was a gap this quarter since our rotators CFF/Disc/US Cash+ did not cover gas or groceries and CCC can only cover one. This solves that problem!

Message 3 of 13
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Congrats to your BCP and the SUB.

I am also waiting to get such offer to upgrade my BCE to BCP. The typical offer since last year was not waiving AF while receiving only $75 SUB.

BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 4 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@xenon3030 wrote:

Congrats to your BCP and the SUB.

I am also waiting to get such offer to upgrade my BCE to BCP. The typical offer since last year was not waiving AF while receiving only $75 SUB.

Right, that is all I am getting at the moment, despite the fact that this year I am actually putting some spend on the BCE (OK, "up to" $100 a month, but that's more than when I was getting good offers!)

Message 5 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@GatorCowboyLion wrote:

We just got this offer:
AMEX BCE upgrade to BCP

AF waived first year.

I know on a previous thread @longtimelurker said that he has taken this offer several times and downgraded before the AF comes due the after 12 months without penalty. Seems like a win-win? My only concerns are: is there an HP? (We're gardening for a mortgage) And is this a lock offer or could it possibly be declined when I push it through? Also, does it change the card number? I assume the account info is all the same, doesn't lose history etc.

1. Almost always no HP.

2. Nothing's a lock, but this is as close as it comes.

3. Card number and history would almost always stay the same.

Total revolving limits 587500 (521k reporting) FICO 8: EQ 706 TU 714 EX 721

Message 6 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@GatorCowboyLion wrote:

Thank you. Done. I just requested the upgrade and it went through. I'm stoked. There was a gap this quarter since our rotators CFF/Disc/US Cash+ did not cover gas or groceries and CCC can only cover one. This solves that problem!

Congratulations.

Total revolving limits 587500 (521k reporting) FICO 8: EQ 706 TU 714 EX 721

Message 7 of 13
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@GatorCowboyLion wrote:

We just got this offer:
AMEX BCE upgrade to BCP

AF waived first year.

1. Almost always no HP.

2. Nothing's a lock, but this is as close as it comes.

3. Card number and history would almost always stay the same.

For a product change, which this offer is, there's never an HP. 

The uncertainty creeps in when someone already has one (or more) cards from Amex and they apply for a new card. In that situation, it's usually an SP, but every so often Amex will do an HP. Personally, I guard against this risk by keeping all my reports frozen. That way, if they attempt an HP, it will be blocked. 

Message 8 of 13
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

I did all my prior Amex upgrade/dowgrade with locked credits. You may request to PC your card using chat from an agent. I have done it once and it was very quick. 

Message 9 of 13
markbeiser
Established Contributor

I only got the &75 offer, waiting for them to cycle around to the $150 offer.
I did just get an email offer for a 90k point SUB on the gold card, too bad it isn't a useful card for me.

Back to gardening until Late February 2025.
Current FICO8:
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.