Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX: Blue vs Blue Cash vs Clear

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX: Blue vs Blue Cash vs Clear

FretlessMayhem wrote:

Is your 5 percent capped or any other sort of catch? That card sounds better and better with each post.

Well, I guess there are a couple of catches.

First, there is a cap of 150K TYP per calendar year, regardless of whether they come at the 5:1 rate or the 3:1 rate.  Depending on how much of your spending is in the everyday purchases categories, the max annual spending on which you can earn rewards will range from $30K to $50K, which is quite a lot.

Second, if you redeem your TYP for fewer than 10K at a time, you won't get a 1% return per point (and therefore you won't get the 5% on everyday spending and 3% on everything else for the first two years).  A $100 gift card is 10K points (5% return on everyday purchases, 3% return on all other purchases), but a $50 gift card is 6K points (only 4.17% on everyday purchases, 2.5% on all other purchases).

I guess the only other "catch" is that after 24 months, it reverts to 1 TYP per dollar in all categories (straight 1%).  There is also, of course, the $125 AF, waived the first year, but the other benefits of the card pay for that, IMO.

Message 21 of 31
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@FretlessMayhem wrote:

Is your 5 percent capped or any other sort of catch? That card sounds better and better with each post.

Well, I guess there are a couple of catches.

First, there is a cap of 150K TYP per calendar year, regardless of whether they come at the 5:1 rate or the 3:1 rate. Depending on how much of your spending is in the everyday purchases categories, the max annual spending on which you can earn rewards will range from $30K to $50K, which is quite a lot.

Second, if you redeem your TYP for fewer than 10K at a time, you won't get a 1% return per point (and therefore you won't get the 5% on everyday spending and 3% on everything else for the first two years). A $100 gift card is 10K points (5% return on everyday purchases, 3% return on all other purchases), but a $50 gift card is 6K points (only 4.17% on everyday purchases, 2.5% on all other purchases).

I guess the only other "catch" is that after 24 months, it reverts to 1 TYP per dollar in all categories (straight 1%). There is also, of course, the $125 AF, waived the first year, but the other benefits of the card pay for that, IMO.

My CCU room has a nice view, but I want this card.

However, my resolve is strong. Maybe I can get them to switch my Dividend Amex card to it. They previously told me this couldn't be done, but I also head a Amex Blue to Clear couldn't be done either, when several members have recently.
Here we go again...
Message 22 of 31
athensguy
Valued Contributor

If you switch to it, I doubt they will give you the sign up bonuses.
Message 23 of 31
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@athensguy wrote:
If you switch to it, I doubt they will give you the sign up bonuses.

I attempt the switch last night and the CSR told me since I have a FA on my report (which is EQ) someone will have to call me in the next 3 days in order to verify my identity for the switch.

Hopefully this means I'm on my way!
Here we go again...
Message 24 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck, but I agree with athensguy.  Even if you're able to switch, you're probably going to get a one point per dollar card from the very beginning.  I really doubt you'll get the 5 points/3 points deal, and I'm sure you won't get the 15K free TYP to start.

Message 25 of 31
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Good luck, but I agree with athensguy.  Even if you're able to switch, you're probably going to get a one point per dollar card from the very beginning.  I really doubt you'll get the 5 points/3 points deal, and I'm sure you won't get the 15K free TYP to start.

Maybe, maybe not. Well, if I did, I would suspect I would lost my BT of 0 interest until May 09. It might be worth it if I can BT the balance to another 0 interest card.

But, I'm really interested in the airport perks. I am flying out to Vegas again in October for a wedding, and it would be nice to get the lounge access.

Unfortunately, living in Hampton Roads, I don't think Norfolk has a lounge.
Here we go again...
Message 26 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am currently torn between the AMEX Gold and Blue Cash card. This will be for a majority of my daily activity and the account will be paid off every  month.

My current card is a Citi Divident Platnium Select card earning 2% on groceries, gas & drugs with 1% on everything else.

Which one in the long run has the best reward program? I know cash is king, but we are talking about a projected amt of $175 paid annually, which isn't substantial.

My FICO score is 763 with a PFICO score as WaMu tells me of 802.

Thanks.

Message Edited by jessep28 on 07-24-2008 01:28 PM
Message 27 of 31
HiLine
Blogger

@Anonymous wrote:

That's not quite right.

As far as rewards:

Blue earns Membership Rewards Express points.  These points are good for all the same things as regular Amex Membership Rewards except frequent flier miles, and perhaps a few other restrictions.

Blue Cash earns cash back according to the following schedule:

Annual spending up to $6500:
Everyday purchases: 1%
All other purchases: 0.5%

Annual spending $6500.01 and up:
Everyday purchases: 5%
All other purchases: 1.5%

There is also Blue Sky, which earns points that can be redeemed at a rate of 7500 points per $100 statement credit towards eligible travel-related purchases.  This represents a 1.33% rewards rate.

Clear earns a straight 1% in the form of Amex gift cards.

None of these cards has an AF.  Clear has no fees of any kind associated with it, including BT fees, OTL fees, or late payment fees (although you shouldn't be going over the limit or paying late anyway).

Clear used to be the more difficult of these cards to get, although it appears standards have loosened a bit on Clear lately.  Blue is probably slightly easier to get than Blue Cash.  Blue Sky is about on the same level as Blue.

Message Edited by cheddar on 07-23-2008 01:14 PM

Interesting to see that the Blue Cash had a tiered cash back system at some point Smiley Wink

Message 28 of 31
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That's not quite right.

As far as rewards:

Blue earns Membership Rewards Express points.  These points are good for all the same things as regular Amex Membership Rewards except frequent flier miles, and perhaps a few other restrictions.

There is also Blue Sky, which earns points that can be redeemed at a rate of 7500 points per $100 statement credit towards eligible travel-related purchases.  This represents a 1.33% rewards rate.

None of these cards has an AF.  Clear has no fees of any kind associated with it, including BT fees, OTL fees, or late payment fees (although you shouldn't be going over the limit or paying late anyway).

Clear used to be the more difficult of these cards to get, although it appears standards have loosened a bit on Clear lately.  Blue is probably slightly easier to get than Blue Cash.  Blue Sky is about on the same level as Blue.

Interesting to see that the Blue Cash had a tiered cash back system at some point Smiley Wink

It seems like cards have flipped now.

Would you agree? Cards seem to offer their best rewards for the first $XXX per term, and then cap them after that. Rewards on $500 per month seems to be the norm for category bonus's.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 29 of 31
HiLine
Blogger

@Dustink wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That's not quite right.

As far as rewards:

It seems like cards have flipped now.

Would you agree? Cards seem to offer their best rewards for the first $XXX per term, and then cap them after that. Rewards on $500 per month seems to be the norm for category bonus's.

Totally. It seems to me that a cap would favor cardholders that don't spend a whole lot, while a ceiling would attract more big spenders. The latter works like a loyalty program, and perhaps these days people don't tend to be exclusive with one card like they used to? 

Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.