Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CLI Denied!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX CLI Denied!!

So I have had my Amex Everyday card for three months now and I requested a Cli online today and got the 7-10 day message. I have only used the card a couple of times for small purchases and then paid it right off. Could that be my reason for denial, not enough usage?? The only reason that I have not used it is because my Chase card is offering 5% back on groceries so I have been using that more frequently.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX CLI Denied!!

have had horrible experience with Amex, and have my lowest limit with them, can't get a cli to save my life.  I would focus on the cards that work well with you and put the amex in the sock drawer.  CS is terrible, move on and garden,  my 2 cents.

Love my chase btw, highest limt of all my cards, approved for $4500, and reconed for $7500.  They've been great so far.

Message 2 of 12
thummel
Established Contributor

Could be really for any reason. What was your initial limit and what was your new request?
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hard to say.  Did you have many new accts?  Inq's?  High ut?  Give it another 3 months and try to use it a bit more even if the transactions aren't that much.  

Message 4 of 12
EddieK
Established Contributor

Probably due to low usage and the 1K starting limit.

Starting Scores:
1/19/14:

1/28/14:
2/12/14:
Current Scores:
7/10/19:
12/17/16:
9/05/17:
Message 5 of 12
noobody
Established Contributor

7-10 does not mean it is declined, I got CLI 3 days after receive that message.

1K SL means Amex has doubts about your over all credit profile

EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the time limit to ask for CLI is every six months, not three.

Message 7 of 12
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

I have been denied many. Well, twice, on business card. They mentioned something about being new. My BCP saw little use, but cli'd up about nine months after business card open. Note, I had already had a 60 day on the card before.

Sometimes, lenders tighten up a bit (note, the new 5/24 rule with chase, barclays eliminating sallie Mae, etc.). I was not the only one getting denials at the time. My scores were not a problem, nor was my utilization. Give it time.
Signature needs updating
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Imperfectfuture wrote:
I have been denied many. Well, twice, on business card. They mentioned something about being new. My BCP saw little use, but cli'd up about nine months after business card open. Note, I had already had a 60 day on the card before.

Sometimes, lenders tighten up a bit (note, the new 5/24 rule with chase, barclays eliminating sallie Mae, etc.). I was not the only one getting denials at the time. My scores were not a problem, nor was my utilization. Give it time.

+1 Show usage and give it time!

The 1k SL definitely shows that AMEX is concerned about giving you more credit, same thing happening with my Discover...

This seems like the general way to go but I really don't know how I got my $5k AMEX from last year all the way up to $25k now lol

Message 9 of 12
RonM21
Valued Contributor

It seems like it could be the low usage. I agree with giving it time, and maybe a bit more spend.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.