Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Chargers- Are they still worth it?

tag
JKSIMMONS
Regular Contributor

For some reason I really want an AMEX charger. I think it's a prestige thing.  Probably the Gold or PRG. but I just can't seem to justify it. The AF is really high and I get all the same benefits on my BCE and my NFCU Flagship card(which I will never use) and I get better rewards (on the BCE, soon to be BCP). I guess i'm just looking for some convincing by all the Green, Gold, and PRG users out there.

***I'm not referring to the Platinum. I know people with the Platinum will come out of the woodork with all of the reasons it makes sense. I don't want one.

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX Chargers- Are they still worth it?

PRG makes sense for the signup bonus. 

Message 2 of 30
newUser0
Established Contributor

I feel 25K bonus is not that worth. 

Personally, I value UR More than MR

Message 3 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

With the advent of the Everyday and Everyday Preferred, charge cards make less sense for the average user.  The Plat has its (decreasing) advantages for frequent travelers and heavy spenders can make use of the bonus and no supermarket cap on the PRG, but others can probably do better with the Everyday.  Green and normal gold made little sense even before the ED/EDP!

Message 4 of 30
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

With the advent of the Everyday and Everyday Preferred, charge cards make less sense for the average user.  The Plat has its (decreasing) advantages for frequent travelers and heavy spenders can make use of the bonus and no supermarket cap on the PRG, but others can probably do better with the Everyday.  Green and normal gold made little sense even before the ED/EDP!

Exactly what I was thinking...

As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 5 of 30
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@GaTech wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Exactly what I was thinking...

+1. The only charge card that makes sense now is the plat, and even that's getting harder to justify. The EDP will be better than the PRG for most everyone unless you really need the NPSL feature.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 6 of 30
eagle2013
Established Contributor

I could see the use of a charge card for someone who either has very high monthly spend or travels with re-imbursable business expenses. Personally it would drive me nuts to have a hard credit limit and balancing utilization with such high, variable monthly spend. 

Message 7 of 30
asulaw
Established Member

Well, consider the bonus for 30k of spending also with the PRG. Also, you can find a lot of good sign up bonuses for the PRG they used to have 75k, and they will probably bring it back. I love points, but yes the Everyday has absolutely caught my eye. Though, as someone else has said, the everyday has a limit on the spending bonus. Platinum is definitely not a card meant for people who do not travel. So I'm not sure honestly either on what is worth it, but you don't get a point bonus for traveling with the Everyday.

Wells Fargo Student - $2,300 / Discover It - $2,000 / Chase Slate - $1,500 / Marriott Premier Rewards - $5,000 / Citi ThankYou Preferred - $2,000 / AMEX TrueEarnings - $1,200 / Target RedCard - $300

Total CL: $14,300
Util: 28%
Message 8 of 30
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@hwturner17 wrote:

Subjective just as worth is on any topic. If it was universally worth it then everyone would have (or want) one. If was universally not worth it then no one would have (or want) one. The reality isn't just one or the other -- same as any other card out there.  The AmEx charge cards are not worth it to me as I have no use for MR points, my spend is pretty regular from month to month so my limits put my utilization at 10% or less and the benefits of the charge cards aren't significant enough for me.  YMMV.

@hwturner17 wrote:

For some reason I really want an AMEX charger. I think it's a prestige thing.  Probably the Gold or PRG. but I just can't seem to justify it. 

You're the one that has to justify it.  If prestige is the only reason and that doesn't justify it for you then it doesn't sound like its worth it to you.

Message 9 of 30
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

Getting a NPSL simply for "prestige" is not really worth it. For me, a card is valuable if the benefit of using it exceeds the cost. This is how I justify any new card or to keep any current cards (except ones that I have had longer than 5 years). You mentioned you had reservations about how high the AF is. This should be your first flag of not getting the card. Anytime the AF poses a threat, you should just walk away. 

Or you could just be an AU like me and get all the benefits without having to pay Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.