Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX - Check Pre-qualified question

tag
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

AMEX - Check Pre-qualified question

New Amex customer, since March.... While I am not ready for a new account, I am considering adding a new card, if I can, in November. I am particularly interested in the Blue Cash Preferred or the Blue Cash everyday.

When I visit AMEX site from safari browser on my phone they show 18 cards on the "all cards" view. While logged in on my regular browser only 15 cards show. When I hit the pre-qualified link all 15 cards show, but without any designation as pre-qualified. The Blue Cash Everyday is the only one with a single interest rate. The Blue Cash preferred doesn't show up at all. Not sure what the other 2 cards that dont show are.

Basically I take this to mean I am not pre=qualified for any of them. I guess my question is, why are three cards eliminated from the view, and why does the BCE have a single interest rate if I am not pre-qualified?

My guess is, the BCE only has one interest rate available. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX - Check Pre-qualified question

@mikesonthemend wrote:

New Amex customer, since March.... While I am not ready for a new account, I am considering adding a new card, if I can, in November. I am particularly interested in the Blue Cash Preferred or the Blue Cash everyday.

When I visit AMEX site from safari browser on my phone they show 18 cards on the "all cards" view. While logged in on my regular browser only 15 cards show. When I hit the pre-qualified link all 15 cards show, but without any designation as pre-qualified. The Blue Cash Everyday is the only one with a single interest rate. The Blue Cash preferred doesn't show up at all. Not sure what the other 2 cards that dont show are.

Basically I take this to mean I am not pre=qualified for any of them. I guess my question is, why are three cards eliminated from the view, and why does the BCE have a single interest rate if I am not pre-qualified?

My guess is, the BCE only has one interest rate available. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!

BCE shows me 15.24% - 26.24%.  When you click Apply Now, does it say Expand Your Membership it pre-approved?

Message 2 of 20
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

BCE shows me 15.24% - 26.24%.  When you click Apply Now, does it say Expand Your Membership it pre-approved?

I haven't clicked apply. It shows only 22.24%

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 3 of 20
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

If it says you are "Preapproved" it is usually "almost" a gimmie, if it asks you to "expand your membership" don't apply.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mikesonthemend wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I haven't clicked apply. It shows only 22.24%

To answer your other question, I show 18 cards whether logged in or not.  If you click Applying Now, which takes you to the screen where you just enter your income, it will say if you are pre-approved or not.  If you are not pre-approved, it will say Expanding Your Membership with us is easy, or something along those lines.  Appears with a single rate you are pre-approved.

Message 5 of 20
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

I clicked apply, an no. It was an app with the hard interest rate. That is what I figured.

Still curious about the refined list of cards, 15 vs. 18

Message 6 of 20
Petit3tee
Contributor

Have you tried under incognito mode without logging in? It's only going to give you 2 responses -

1. Sorry, we were unable to match you with any pre-qualified offers at this time. (I put my info. here, currently have 2 cards with them)
2. Congratulations, xxxxxxxxx! You're pre-qualified for these offers. (My sister info. here, currently have 1 card with them)

If you're pre-approved there, I take it as a solid affirmation. Best of luck! 

Current status: Gardening as of 5/2019 Projected: TBD

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mikesonthemend wrote:

I clicked apply, an no. It was an app with the hard interest rate. That is what I figured.

Still curious about the refined list of cards, 15 vs. 18

Still odd that it has a hard interest rate showing.  Did it say Expanding Your Membership at the top of the page?  Just a thought, but are the other 3 Delta Co-Branded cards showing available?

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

To see if you're actually pre-approved for a card, you need to select the specific card, then click the "Apply Now" button.

If you see a comment stating "Mikesonthemend, you are pre-approved! Get a decision in as little as 30 seconds" you're are obviously good to go.  If the comment states "Expanding your membership with us is easy" then you're not.

Instead of using the View Pre-Qualified Cards link, click on Menu > View All Cards > and select the one(s) you're interested in.  Then click the Apply Now button and see what it says. You can use your browser's Back button to leave without actually applying.

Amex has a dynamic website; if you recently applied for a card and were denied then that card is removed from view when logged in to your account for either 30 or 90 days.  Also, certain cards will not be viewable when logged in if you're not pre-approved for them.

Message 9 of 20
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Still odd that it has a hard interest rate showing.  Did it say Expanding Your Membership at the top of the page?  Just a thought, but are the other 3 Delta Co-Branded cards showing available?

Yep, expanding with a single rate.

Yes the other Delta cards show, and are "featured" cards. Well the were, this time I got:

Screenshot_2019-06-23 Apply for a Credit Card Online American Express.png

Clicked apply and:

Screenshot_2019-06-23 Blue from American Express® Card Application.png

same single interest rate

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.